Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry Soloman said:
2cmorau said:
with guys like that
walk behind them swinging the MD, LOL
find a target dig and then pull the ring out of your pocket put in the hole get it dirty, "" hey look what you walked over""

Oh I am so remembering that hot little tip! :hello2: :thumbsup:
My MD friends all know, do not ever say to me, "Look what you missed"! Then flash gold or something nice. Tell me I missed a dime, or quarter, no biggie, ya know.

# 1. I didn't miss it, it I had gone over it, I would have heard it.

# 2. Yeah, that will psych someone's head out! hehehehehehehehehe

# 3. When they brag, or was like the above jerk, I'd say, "Yeah, and how well that walking on water thing, working out for ya?!

# 4. Joke 'em, if they can't take a................ :laughing7:

So sorry, for your difficult encounter.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear how someone treated you. I have never had this problem here in Ohio. If you ae ever up this way give me a shout and we can do some detecting......Matt

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Sometimes you just run into grumpy people. Life goes on. Don't let it get to you.

His remark was totally uncalled for regardless of the reason for it.

HH

:icon_thumleft: ;D :icon_thumleft:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
spartacus53 said:
I guess it's all about one ups man ship.. Just because you own the fastest car on the planet, doesn't prove you can drive. I actually love running into people like this, and have a bit a of fun with them. When I'm finished they wouldn't know which way is up. :laughing7: I am a king at handing out back handed compliments, most wouldn't realize they been duped until way later.
I agree..LOL

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
So if YOUR detector is supposed to be a piece of junk, then that guy shouldn't be intimidated about yours at all, should he?

The next answer to that should have been: "If Minelabs are supposed to be so good and go so deep, then why do they make so many aftermarket coils so that they are able to keep up with other brands?

Dirty Money

Sep 21, 2010
Saginaw, MI
Detector(s) used
White's MX5 w/ 8X6 SEF, Garrett Pro-Pointer, X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the other hand...

Two weeks ago I was out hunting an old ball field/park when a guy pulls up & asks if I'm finding anything. My usual reply is "yea. Lots of junk." After talking for a few, it turns out he uses the same detector I do and is headed to meet a hunting buddy to search some fresh dirt where the city tore down an old house. Then invites me to join them. Long story short, it has started a good friendship.

Not everyone is a jerk. We have a lot of great people in this hobby. Keep detecting. You'll find them, or they'll find you.

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
ah man - best to focus on the good people out there that do this for fun- there are some bad apples in every bunch...even if I had a gold plated minelab (not that it would work right) I'd rather learn from the people I meet- hard to do that if your trashing someone because they don't have a high end detector- I met an older 85 year old guy who was asking me how I was doing (since he was a coin shooter a few years ago back when detectors first came out) he told me of a lake that back 50 years ago had an amusement park on it - and even a steam boat. great info...

I did follow up on it- and I'll even tell people here it is a place called Newton Lake - not far from where I live. it's been developed and most of the homes on that lake are well over the 250k mark...and it's a big lake, not a clue what side had the rides...

but point being, it was nice talking to someone who I learned something from! sad those guys didn't learn anything from you...

don't give it another thought, there are a lot of good people that detect...

have a good one man, and an HH... :icon_thumright:

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry to hear that you were treated that way. I'm sure that I belong to "that club" and I'm curious to know who it was. All of the guys that I know from the club are great guys. You mention the "old guy" treated you this way. I wouldn't consider anyone that I know from the group to be an "old guy". But I guess it depends on your perspective when it comes to judging ages.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
welli will put im my 2 cents...i see some good advice here and i see some people that are doing the same thing as the guy that he met......bashing back and where does that get you....to me that makes you just as bad as the guy he met..when i run into someone like that i just give them the whatever and move on from them......there are too many good people in this hobby to let a few jerks ruin for you....

Personally i use mine labs and i would not use any other detector....but i have hunted with people that use older fisher models,garette ace 250s and other machines...i have never bashed any of them..i try and give them all the advice i can to help them out and some times the do better than i do....
I have been detecting for 15yrs and made a lot of great friends in this hobby and try to just pass on all i have learned to make the hobby more fun..
As for the person that made the comment about after market coils so minelabs can keep up with other machines..you better check your facts..there are after market coils of all sizes for just about all the major brands out there..
no matter what machine you use enjoy the hunt,you an always find good people to hunt with or to help you out..
HAPPY HUNTING EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I love it when I run into another detectorist and they go...what did you find today. And pull out some sick find. I can believe it once or twice...BUT EVERYTIME?!?!

I water hunt...so spots are far and few between. And they can all be easily found now. But. I have only run into one Ahole outa about 5 or 10 hunters. All the rest offered to take me to different spots and stuff. This was back in 2001.

The one jerk...showed up with his family. His two kids had machines. All he did is bellow out about the old days of finding 10 rings in one sunday. I told him I worked there [I did at the time] and that lots of people hit the pond. That infuriated him. Like he should be the only one with a machine.

I laughed my ass off. Never saw him return.

zincmaster said:
so i saw some people detecting in a park i usually stop at, so im a friendly guy and i introduced myself, i did have my at pro and the old guy out of the blue says what are you gonna do with that piece of junk :o i think they were using e-trac machines, i told him i would gladly show him up any day he would like to try me we could have a little contest in the park now. well he waked away and me and the other guy talked civil like for a few minutes and went our ways . they said they belonged to a hunt club here in ohio, i know the club he was talking about , and some members belong to this site too. my point is why would that old guy be so hostile toward me, are people that protective over the areas they hunt. i know an e-trac is more expensive than the at pro , but is an insult the way to start a conversation with a fellow detectorist? heck i was just trying to be nice, and could care less about another detectorist in my area, its not my property they are hunting, heck i woulda liked to have maby someone to hunt with, maby trade some storys about finds.
lets all be civil , theres enough burried trash and treasure for us all. HH . anyone ever had an experience like this.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
I am "the person" who "made that comment about the after market coils", and I am not exactly a newby here OR to metal detecting. I designed and made my first two metal detectors way back in the early 70's. I worked in metal detector engineering and helped to produce THOUSANDS of them, and repaired metal detectors back in the 80's too. I own several dozen metal detectors and I know which current metal detector brands have aftermarket coils available for them - and which do not.

I'll write this again in simpler language so that it does not get misconstrued again:

Minelab has more aftermarket coils made for it than any other metal detector brand, period.

Whites comes in at 2nd place, period.

I suspect that you are are bit too sensitive because of brand-loyalty, and that may be why you made your statements, or so it seems. I have no brand-loyalty save for my own preferences when it comes to modifications of some brands that are easier to modify. The "facts" are, that there are more aftermarket coils available for Minelabs because there is a NEED for them, and I'll let you do the math and make your (own) determinations and I'll make my own. I already have, and yes, I mean the electronics engineering math too. I wish to caution you about criticising someone unduly and unfairly that you don't know, before you do it next time. Your premise is incorrect, offensive, abrasive, and uncalled for. I don't seek an apology though, I basically want to inform you to get you on the right track about Minelabs, their limitations, their overabundance of aftermarket coils, why there are so many made, and educate you as to who you are criticising.

Garrett makes the most detectors for security, and Whites outsells all other brands. And that too is a fact.

Have a good time with your hobby

LL, AKA "EasyMoney"

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
It is possible they were afraid your talking would take up too much of their limited time to detect. I'll admit I've done that to strangers detecting.

But another possibility is they didn't want you to feel like you had a chance to find something good, so you would leave & let them get all the goodies.

In either case, they weren't being very nice. Best wishes, George (MN)

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LuckyLarry said:
I am "the person" who "made that comment about the after market coils", and I am not exactly a newby here OR to metal detecting. I designed and made my first two metal detectors way back in the early 70's. I worked in metal detector engineering and helped to produce THOUSANDS of them, and repaired metal detectors back in the 80's too. I own several dozen metal detectors and I know which current metal detector brands have aftermarket coils available for them - and which do not.

I'll write this again in simpler language so that it does not get misconstrued again:

Minelab has more aftermarket coils made for it than any other metal detector brand, period.

Whites comes in at 2nd place, period.

I suspect that you are are bit too sensitive because of brand-loyalty, and that may be why you made your statements, or so it seems. I have no brand-loyalty save for my own preferences when it comes to modifications of some brands that are easier to modify. The "facts" are, that there are more aftermarket coils available for Minelabs because there is a NEED for them, and I'll let you do the math and make your (own) determinations and I'll make my own. I already have, and yes, I mean the electronics engineering math too. I wish to caution you about criticising someone unduly and unfairly that you don't know, before you do it next time. Your premise is incorrect, offensive, abrasive, and uncalled for. I don't seek an apology though, I basically want to inform you to get you on the right track about Minelabs, their limitations, their overabundance of aftermarket coils, why there are so many made, and educate you as to who you are criticising.

Garrett makes the most detectors for security, and Whites outsells all other brands. And that too is a fact.

Have a good time with your hobby

LL, AKA "EasyMoney"
Ok so you dont use minelabs but you want to bash them,which is what you are doing..i have used fisher machines,garrett.and minelab xs,2,se and the etrac.....and I by far believe that the etrac is the best machine out there..but apparently since i use them and do not have your expert knowledge they must suck....and i will not apologize for anything i have said.....to me you were making it sound like minelab was the worst machine because it had so many after market coils....
and did it ever occur to you the reason that there are so many after market coils is because so many people use the minelabs that is where the money is at??and please show me the figures you use to say that whites out sell minelabs?? i know most of the guys i hunt with are using minelabs in one form or another and they love them....and several of them have switched from whites by the way....
Also there is no NEED for after market coils..i use the sef coil because i like it...i know several people that hunt with stock coils on minelabs and do great...
and i was not trying to critize just pointing out that even though minelabs may have a lot of after market coils,other brands also have after market coils..and even whites makes smaller and larger coils for their machines so i could say the same thing that there must be a NEED for them.....
i have never in my whole time on this forum ever tried to tell anyone to use a certain machine..and anyone that says they dont have a favorite one should look at what they hunt the most with....i say use what you are comfortable with and learn it..different coils work for different situations no matter what machine you use..
you seem to be the one with the i know more than you attitude here not me....i have been detecting for 15yrs and even though i have never built,repaired or apparently used every machine under the sun as you have i HAVE hunted with minelabs since the xs came out and i do know about them...and to ME they are the best machine i have used bar none...
Again the only person with a holyier than thou attitude is you when you say i should learn who i am criticising......sorry to burst your bubble but no one knows everything including you or me.......

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever notice that people think the best detector is the brand they own, even when they have never tried another brand. Ever hear someone say the best detector is a different one than they own. There is no best detector, yet people always get on here and claim to have the best detector.....GeeeeeZ.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Teverly, it is very clear that you enjoy quarreling. I do not, it's not my mission here. My purpose is to help and teach people here, but to not engage in name-calling or insults. On the other hand you insulted my knowledge and intelligence and it is my right to defend myself by showing in writing that which is technically correct and does not involve my opinions. I do not think I was unfair in my response to your accusations. Sometimes my posts are a bit on the too-technical side for some people, but I do my best to not overload people with way too much info.

You say in your post; "personally i use mine labs and i would not use any other detector". I can't think of a good reason to toss other brands under the bus, but by virtue of your post, you think that Minelabs nearly walk on water and it's clear that you have discounted other brands by your own admission. Why would you not use other detectors? I use every brand made save for a Nexus, because a Nexus is not worth the expense to me. I have owned Minelabs, used Minelabs, and altered Minelabs, and I know fully well their good qualities and their limitations.

When a person tells the truth about something he or she is not "bashing" them, he or she is simply telling the truth. That statement reminds me of someone criticising our President for his philosophies and then erroneously being called "racist" by far-left confused liberals. It makes no logical sense at all. Not in any way did I make any false statements about Minelabs , but you seem to be VERY DEFENSIVE about them - and also seem to have closed your mind to other brands. This is YOUR problem teverly, not mine. If I can't open your eyes a bit, then so be it, but that's not my problem, it's yours. It is is a common problem with people who are brand-loyal, they develop tunnel-vision and no amount of truth or facts will change their minds about their opinions regarding one of them.

I'm through with this discussion but be prepared to get a good tongue-lashing the next time you insult me personally again. I will not back up, COUNT on it!

BTW Minelab sells even fewer detectors than Tesoro, and as for me, I own and use 8 different brands right now and I have owned and used Minelabs too. Maybe it's time for you to quite being so biased against other brands, prejudiced toward Minelabs, and enjoy yourself here - without being a pest and disrespectful to other people.

BTW folks, one of the reasons that I like the old (American-made) Compasses is in this video. Only one other brand can do this and pass the last and toughest test with the coin being right next to the nail - both being tested swinging the search coil lengthwise with the nail. That other one is a British machine:

Here is Minelab e-trac with the nail board test: Rather sad I might say;

LL

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I've met 9 or 10 other detectorists and only 1 turned out to be a real Ahole. Also 1 had a short fuse, but he was easy to deal with by ignoring.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Guy sounds like an ass...

As I get older, I've taken to telling people like this exactly what I think of them in very plain language. I'm about as friendly and easy going a guy as you're going to meet, try my best to not step on anyone's toes or needlessly hurt anyone feelings but will not hesitate to make confrontational, abrasive people seriously regret acting like that.

You did the right thing, by the way.
People who say things like that do so because they're insecure on a personal level... He thought he could 'appear the better man' by 'owning the more expensive machine' and rubbing your nose in it. By challenging him to a skills contest, he did what all people like that wind up doing when put to the test.... They shut up and leave.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
zincmaster said:
so i saw some people detecting in a park i usually stop at, so im a friendly guy and i introduced myself, i did have my at pro and the old guy out of the blue says what are you gonna do with that piece of junk :o i think they were using e-trac machines, i told him i would gladly show him up any day he would like to try me we could have a little contest in the park now. well he waked away and me and the other guy talked civil like for a few minutes and went our ways . they said they belonged to a hunt club here in ohio, i know the club he was talking about , and some members belong to this site too. my point is why would that old guy be so hostile toward me, are people that protective over the areas they hunt. i know an e-trac is more expensive than the at pro , but is an insult the way to start a conversation with a fellow detectorist? heck i was just trying to be nice, and could care less about another detectorist in my area, its not my property they are hunting, heck i woulda liked to have maby someone to hunt with, maby trade some storys about finds.
lets all be civil , theres enough burried trash and treasure for us all. HH . anyone ever had an experience like this.

one of them : "mines bigger and longer than yours"; a territorial game

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been fortunate in this game, I've never seen that behavior regarding metal detectors. Most people in these parts use Whites and BH and don't "one-up" people about things. Usually they are just having a good time. An older man searching the Oregon beaches one day with his Whites MXT 300 asked me what I thought about it (I was using my cz-70) and my response was "I like my Fisher, that's all I can say". He interpreted that as me saying that his "is no good". That's not what I said though. I had to later on reassure him and tell him that although his was a decent detector - all I could say is that I preferred my cz, and that's why I bought it, and have used mostly it and my R&C for the last 8 years. The we got into discussions about resonance frequencies, operating frequencies, and if I could pipe more power into his detector. He had a good technical mind and we exchanged names and other info - with possibilities of going an a search with other associates. It all worked out well.

I've seen people really angry when a cheap detector outdoes an expensive one though. I've yet to find an old man acting like that guy who was so grumpy and arrogant, regardless of what the situation is. Mostly it's the ones in their 20's and 30's that act like fools.

I posted (above) the nail board test for and e-trac and a cz3d along with the old Compass detector. I'm not sure that I'd chose an e-trac over my Compasses OR my Fisher.

LL

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Strange thing happened to me a while back... a cute looking blonde rode by on her bike and said, "Happy Hunting". I sure wish she would've stopped and talked to me. Truth of the matter is, when I'm in a park, I'm always on my guard when people approach me. If they walk up slowly, it's a giveaway that they are friendly, but fast, and they have something to say. Maybe he just made a mistake.... I'm sure he's probably thinking about how he could have better handled it. Hind sight is 20.20.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions