worst birthday present ever

treasuremedik

Mar 16, 2007
hi all
i dont post much, but love to detect, flea market, yard sale, anything related to this site. the day after my b day i had a stroke, whee, at least it got me out of work. now am recovering, staring at detectors i cant use. i am not whining, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this or any hints on how to get back in the field. now i am using a fancy walking stick, l arm not working, yet, but i want to detect soo bad.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well first, here's to a speedy recovery.. I know I have seen some threads in the past with people dealing with various handicaps, and if you can find them, you may get even better insight. :thumbsup:

So here's to you, get up, and get out there :headbang:

TXPIRATE

Aug 21, 2003
S.E. TEXAS
Detector(s) used
" Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First hope you a full and speedy recovery. Any of the light weight detector will do good if you don't want to spend a lot just in case it turns out to be a strain on your health I would look at the Tesoro Comparde or silver sabre.
Now my brother is in bad health but he still goes from time to time he takes one of them plastice lawn chairs hunts till he gets tired and sits down on it. But he lays down on the ground to dig. From time to time he gets tired and just lays there the cops have came out 3 times because some one called that there is a dead person in the park.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TXPIRATE, at least they called the police to look in on him... In some areas they would be rifling through his pockets and taking his shoes :laughing7:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
treasuremedik said:
hi all
i dont post much, but love to detect, flea market, yard sale, anything related to this site. the day after my b day i had a stroke, whee, at least it got me out of work. now am recovering, staring at detectors i cant use. i am not whining, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this or any hints on how to get back in the field. now i am using a fancy walking stick, l arm not working, yet, but i want to detect soo bad.

TM, I have said a small prayer for your recovery and future health, and I know there is are exciting finds still to come for you! Great to see you posting and getting the juices flowing. We'll find a way to mount a coil on that walking stick! :thumbsup:

OhioDeb

May 16, 2011
westcentral Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you don't have grandkids or any other young kid that you could bribe to dig for you? :laughing7: A motorized adult tricycle would be a handy thing. You will figure it out. Prayers your way. OhioDeb

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just do things right. I had a friend with a heart condition die on a UK hunt because of something as simple as tracking through heavy mud he wasn't ready for. He was only about 50 years old.

I also had a friend driving up from WI and did what he calls the "floppy chicken." By pure coincidence he was traveling through a city and only blocks away from a hospital specializing in cardiology. It was only a few minutes to get to the hospital, and within 20 minutes he was in surgery. But this story ends better because that was about 7 years ago and he's doing good and plans to be here to dig some holes in October.

Take care of yourself first and get back into digging when you're ready.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Terry Soloman said:
treasuremedik said:
hi all

TM, I have said a small prayer for your recovery and future health, and I know there is are exciting finds still to come for you! Great to see you posting and getting the juices flowing. We'll find a way to mount a coil on that walking stick! :thumbsup:

There is actually a walking stick detector. I believe Kellyco sell them. Have a word on here with Jamie - Kellyco chick. :)

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How twisted is this? Dano's actually giving out good advise :thumbsup:

BRB have to check the temperature in H3ll :laughing7:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
I give out a lot of good help and advice. You only follow the threads i cause trouble on usually! :tongue3:

OP
OP
treasuremedik

treasuremedik

Mar 16, 2007
hi guys thanx for the responses, i am a paramedic have been for 26 yrs, cant get used to being the pt. yuck. have a great wife tho, she has done everything for me, my son got me outside in the wheelchair so i could swing my fisher wheeeee i just have no patience being sick. was left handed, now trying to apologize to rt hand for all the bad things i said about it over the years. i did go to the bank thursday, got 3.00 silver halves 4.00 40% woohooo again thanx for the pep talks just aint ready for a stroke i am only 46 yuck

martin wise

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about your set back. I think IP said it best. Take care of yourself first. Detecting will always be there when your ready.

Brian

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honey, so sorry to hear about the health issues. Yes, you do have prayers for you speedy recovery! You may wanna give up having birthdays though, I did about 11 yrs ago! :laughing7:
Keep all your therapy up and going, everday.

I've seen amazing results, from sheer will power!
The brain has a way to re-wire itself, around damaged areas. But, it takes much much much, repetition and re-learning, and DO-ING!
You'll be back in "the swing" of things, before you know it!

Keep us up to date, we love ya!

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Determination.. Dont give up,.. God helps those who help them selves,.. So dont say you can't do it anymore

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II 1000 Ace 250 Whites Prizm 3
Get well soon and don't rush things do what your doc tells you to do health comes first everything else is just a bounus. If there is one word I hate it's "can't" when you start saying can't you've already given up.Where there's a will there's always a way. Get yourself better and you'll be swinging in no time.
drewan

Dirty Money

Sep 21, 2010
Saginaw, MI
Detector(s) used
White's MX5 w/ 8X6 SEF, Garrett Pro-Pointer, X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there. Take your time getting back to activity. You start slow and swear you'll never get back to any kind normal speed, but little by little the body heals itself and after a while you'll be able to get out again. Just keep at things while the going is slow. Giving up creates a huge set back.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Stay outa work and get SSDI. While your on the lamb. Get a physical therapist. Go 3 times a week. Don't mention your hobby. Just mention wanting to get back into short walks.

On the side. Try swimming at an indoor pool to work out your muscles again. You will get there in a few months...maybe longer. But you will get there. If you really want to.

Id stay outa work...thats just me. HH -Joe.

treasuremedik said:
hi all

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
tx pirate -- I too due to poor health use the famous "lay on the ground " wiggle at bit from spot to spot --patented ivan salis "inch worm wiggle" detecting method * folks have on at least 3 differat times called the cops to report a strange man that fell and can not seem to get up *--

while your birthday present clearly sux --

once for long ago for christmas -- everyone in my family (including my now many years ex wife) got me the exact same present -- a size 1 X cheap bargin basement type sweater---uh at the time I was like a 4 x sized person ( but the $5 bargin rack el cheapo sweaters only went to size 1 x)--- (I lived in dayton, ohio at the time - if the el cheapo 1 x sweaters had at least fix me , I might have been able to use em as it does get cold -- to this day -- I tell folks do not EVER buy me a sweater -- I live in florida now so not of much use anyway.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread