MD'ing Zombie

MD'ing Zombie

May 29, 2011
Altoona PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
first 2 are on, no nails and Foil are on and i have the Pull tabs on and off as i check with it just to see.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron sucks. Fools a lot of machines. If your banging a loud signal and it's hitting half dollar, dollar, raise your coil up several inches and see if you still get the signal. If you are...probably iron. Even on my Vision, if I pass over a rail spike it rings like a half but with exp...I know to pass it up.

Al

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
On some detectors, the 50c & $1 are for signals too deep for the detector to ID correctly. I had Coinmaster & Prizm IV, they are really detectors for areas of low
ground mineralization. Best wishes, George (MN)

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron does have a tendency to fool detectors. A large piece of iron will return such a strong signal to make the detector think it has found something really conductive. Rusty nails can also do the same thing especially a nice round nail head or a nail that is bent to nearly 90 degrees or more. Rusty iron will form a nice conductive "halo" around it sometimes fooling a detector. So will balls of foil or aluminum. Iron harness rings will almost always signal around the dime area. It's because of the shape. It generates a nice return signal. Shape and size of an object does affect the return signal. So does the depth.

The nice about nails is they can tell the age of a site. If the nails are the cut "square" type then they are pre 1900.

-Swartzie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread