Vicksburg National Military Cemetary

Collector13

Jun 7, 2011
Manteo, North Carolina
I have a question for anyone that works or knows anyone who works for Vicksburg National Military Cemetary. I have found a grave marker in an antique store and I would love to return it to Vicksburg. If anyone would like to help out on returning this marker le me know and I will get you an address for the antique store. And sadly the antique store has to sell it.

Collector13

Probed

Sep 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
V3i, Dfx, Excalibur
I'd call the police on em then. Stolen property is stolen property!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probed said:
I'd call the police on em then. Stolen property is stolen property!

Agreed, What low life would steal a grave marker?

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure if the police showed up at that antique shop, that marker will be moved and maybe never recovered. Keep in mind the police just can't waltz in there without a warrant. You may want to visit the DA's office and file a report first. :thumbsup:

I would also try and notify the Vicksburg National Military Cemetery, by e-mail or phone and notify them as well.

Vicksburg National Cemetery
3201 Clay St, Vicksburg - (601) 636-0583

http://www.nps.gov/vick/index.htm

Do it the right way and have it returned. Not only that I am sure you will also get a Honorable Mention here.

So I would act quickly on the above options before it's sold and maybe impossible to trace. :thumbsup:

And all you guys thought I only joke around :laughing7:

Good luck :headbang:

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
A loose grave marker is not necessarily stolen. I have several stones that were replaced for one reason or another. The owners wonder what to do with the old one, I simply remove it and turn it over to add to a stone wall or walk, Brass veteran markers are stolen by vandals ,and sold as scrap to rather shady scrap outfits. They should be shot. Don't go off half cocked on the marker, the law is the best way to go. lonesomebob

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lonesomebob, I was actually going to modify my reply to something similar to what you said. That is why I mentioned contacting the park directly. I am certain they have the history on each and every stone.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grave Etiquette
Know the Law
Know your state Laws and statutes pertaining to cemeteries. In almost every state,
it’s a 3rd Degree Felony to posses any artifact from a cemetery.
This pertains to statuary, iron fences, gravestones, marble coping (boarders), coffins,
even plants, flowers and trees. Body parts and bodies are under a different chapter
and laws are slightly stiffer.
In the past, many Antique shops have had the iron Southern Cross of Honor for sale.
It’s a no-brainer, the only place these are found is in a cemetery. They are starting to
wise up because of public interest and you are the public. Politely call the Police and
have them explain how they obtained it.
This also pertains to the UCV flag stands. As
for the SCV grave marker, they are copy-written and can only be obtained by members
and for cemeteries. Now you are getting into trademark laws.
VA gravestones are Federal property and the laws are even stiffer for possession of
stolen Federal property.
This is a double edged sward. If you are transporting a VA gravestone, have your
request to the VA for the stone, military records and the shipping slip with
you. If you have an SCV grave marker or a Southern Cross of Honor, also make sure
you have a receipt for these.
Disposition of “Old” stones
Leave them where they are, even if they are completely illegible. A new companion
stone with a complete or a more detailed transcription can be placed in front of this
old stone. The history is still preserved.
If the stone is badly broken, and if an indiscretion must be committed by discarded
the stone, please bury it at least one or two feet deep, just in front of the
replacement stone. Please mark the burial card with this information on the back to
let cemetery personnel know it’s there in case of a new burial or to notify a
conservator where to find it if it is to some day be restored

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Collector13 said:
And sadly the antique store has to sell it.

Nope. They think it's "their property" and they "must sell it" but they don't realize it's stolen property and as such, they have no marketable title to do so.

It will (and should) be taken away from them.

Keep in mind the police just can't waltz in there without a warrant. You may want to visit the DA's office and file a report first.

It's a public place. They can absolutely waltz in there 'without a warrant', to ask questions in response to a stolen property complaint. Upon seeing said property in plain view, they can seize it.

Really, this is the sort of thing where the antique shop should do the right thing and give it back without having to involve the law but if they won't- if they sincerely believe that stolen markers from war dead are "curios" to be swapped around- then the law should be involved and if no criminal sanctions come from it, their reputation should be appropriately tarnished for not handing it back as an act of good faith, when they had the chance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread