Gotta love research!!

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
So I'm looking for Civil War sites to hunt and after hours I get a hit. A skirmish that lasted 2 days. So I pull it up on the tax accessors website and to my surprise a guy I know! My wife and I rented a house from this couple when we got married before we bought ours. So I went by there today and talked to him. He didn't know the history of his property. (bout 150 acres) So I had the print off of the skirmish and let him read it. He was very excited and when I asked to hunt it he said why of course! I went on to ask if anybody has ever hunted it and to my surprise again he said no. He then went on to say that he wouldn't let just anybody hunt it anyway. The property has been in his family way before the invention of MDers. He said he would like to see what I find and of course I said yeah. I'm excited to hunt this property and I have all next week off just to do that! :laughing7: I can't wait! I'll let you guys know if I find anything! Gotta love research!

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GaDigger81, ole buddy, ole pal of mine.. How have you been? It's been ages since we last met up and had a chat, or anything of that nature. So exactly when do "WE" start giving that land the once over :laughing7:

Sounds like a promising location, best of luck and I look forward to hearing about your finds. I'm a big CW buff, but after exhausting all of my research, I see there were no battles, or skirmishes fought in New Jersey :laughing7:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A skirmish eh? Cool :icon_thumleft: Put your mind frame of the attacker ...Look the property over ...Where would you wait for the opponent to arrive to ambush? I have good luck on top or around the bottom slopes..(hills/ridges) Detecting will be good on top and will be good on the down side...It will be better on losing parties end.

Good luck

OP
OP
gadigger81

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
spartacus53 said:
GaDigger81, ole buddy, ole pal of mine.. How have you been? It's been ages since we last met up and had a chat, or anything of that nature. So exactly when do "WE" start giving that land the once over :laughing7:

Sounds like a promising location, best of luck and I look forward to hearing about your finds. I'm a big CW buff, but after exhausting all of my research, I see there were no battles, or skirmishes fought in New Jersey :laughing7:

It's like winning the lottery, when you win, everybody is your kin! :laughing7: It would be nice to have a hunting partner though. I don't know anybody around here that MD's. Guess they are keeping a low profile. :dontknow: Thanks for the luck Spartacus53!! Best of luck to you! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
gadigger81

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
Woodland Detectors said:
A skirmish eh? Cool :icon_thumleft: Put your mind frame of the attacker ...Look the property over ...Where would you wait for the opponent to arrive to ambush? I have good luck on top or around the bottom slopes..(hills/ridges) Detecting will be good on top and will be good on the down side...It will be better on losing parties end.

Good luck

Thanks for the great advice and luck! :icon_thumright: I never really thought about that! I gotta couple hours free tommorow so I'm gonna head over there and see what I can dig up! Thanks again Woodland and best of luck to you! :icon_thumright:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GaDigger81, you have to remember one thing, skirmishes happen mostly by accident :laughing7: Most skirmishes didn't always turn into a battle either. Also check and see if any battles were fought in that area, that may also help a bit as far as placement of troops, and or, their possible movements.

Just think, the largest battle in the Civil War started as a skirmish..
My shoes, my shoes, my kingdom for a pair of shoes :laughing7:

OP
OP
gadigger81

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
spartacus53 said:
GaDigger81, you have to remember one thing, skirmishes happen mostly by accident :laughing7: Most skirmishes didn't always turn into a battle either. Also check and see if any battles were fought in that area, that may also help a bit as far as placement of troops, and or, their possible movements.

Just think, the largest battle in the Civil War started as a skirmish..
My shoes, my shoes, my kingdom for a pair of shoes :laughing7:

Really thats all we had in the county were skirmishes. Bout 7 or 8 of them. However, the troops moved north a couple days later, then The Battle of Chickamauga. Total of 34,624 Casualties. Chickamauga is bout 30 miles north of me.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you are in an ideal location :thumbsup: Those 150 acres will give you years of possibilities.

Within the next year, or 2 we will become best of friends, and I'll be glad to join you in the hunt :laughing9:

OP
OP
gadigger81

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
spartacus53 said:
Within the next year, or 2 we will become best of friends, and I'll be glad to join you in the hunt :laughing9:

I don't know, it all depends how you respond to my posts! :laughing9: I have seen some of your work! :laughing7: Gotta have humor in life though! :icon_thumright:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the research. If you find some relics you may want to put some in a shadow box and give to the owner. Keep us posted.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GaDigger81 said:
I don't know, it all depends how you respond to my posts! :laughing9: I have seen some of your work! :laughing7: Gotta have humor in life though! :icon_thumright:

No problem, sense of humor is the only thing I have... :tongue3: Watch out for treasurehound, he's trying to get on your good side, steal my thunder and rain on my parade... Remember GaDigger81, I called first dibs on that hunting thing :laughing7:

magjm

Sep 20, 2004
sylva, nc
Detector(s) used
E-Trac. Excal, XLT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I must have failed geography. Didn't know NJ and GA were so close together. Now Woodland and I live much closer. Hint, Hint! Actually, I have 3 cousins in North GA including one in Dalton, but never get down there to hunt. I have a few Civil War era relics and probably half were found in NY. Yep, Army of the Republic. Don't tell my NC neighbors that the only connection I've traced is Union, and that relative mustered out at a lower rank than he joined. So, proof you might find dropped bullets in NJ.

You might want to check with your friend's neighbors also. Nothing in the Great War of Northern Aggression had clear lines of demarcation. At least you have many hunts and great exercise ahead of you. HH

Magjm

OP
OP
gadigger81

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
treasurehound said:
Congrats on the research. If you find some relics you may want to put some in a shadow box and give to the owner. Keep us posted.

Thanks, and I will! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
gadigger81

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
magjm said:
I must have failed geography. Didn't know NJ and GA were so close together. Now Woodland and I live much closer. Hint, Hint! Actually, I have 3 cousins in North GA including one in Dalton, but never get down there to hunt. I have a few Civil War era relics and probably half were found in NY. Yep, Army of the Republic. Don't tell my NC neighbors that the only connection I've traced is Union, and that relative mustered out at a lower rank than he joined. So, proof you might find dropped bullets in NJ.

You might want to check with your friend's neighbors also. Nothing in the Great War of Northern Aggression had clear lines of demarcation. At least you have many hunts and great exercise ahead of you. HH

Magjm

LOL :laughing9:,

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GaDigger81 said:
So I'm looking for Civil War sites to hunt and after hours I get a hit. A skirmish that lasted 2 days. So I pull it up on the tax accessors website and to my surprise a guy I know! My wife and I rented a house from this couple when we got married before we bought ours. So I went by there today and talked to him. He didn't know the history of his property. (bout 150 acres) So I had the print off of the skirmish and let him read it. He was very excited and when I asked to hunt it he said why of course! I went on to ask if anybody has ever hunted it and to my surprise again he said no. He then went on to say that he wouldn't let just anybody hunt it anyway. The property has been in his family way before the invention of MDers. He said he would like to see what I find and of course I said yeah. I'm excited to hunt this property and I have all next week off just to do that! :laughing7: I can't wait! I'll let you guys know if I find anything! Gotta love research!

Way cool! :headbang:

OP
OP
gadigger81

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
Terry Soloman said:
GaDigger81 said:

Way cool! :headbang:
Thanks Terry!

OP
OP
gadigger81

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
Man it was hot today, 96 degrees! I didn't get to hunt like I wanted, the guy who ownes the property said he lost a piece of metal off his tractor. He told me if I come across it to let him know. So that took priority over CW hunting to me. He was gracious to let me hunt his property, so thats the least I could do. I think I found it the way he described, but not 100% sure. Can't wait to next week!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking forward to see if the site produces some good relics for you. I hope you find a nice Confed. Plate and some nice rare button types too! Good luck.

OP
OP
gadigger81

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
diggummup said:
Looking forward to see if the site produces some good relics for you. I hope you find a nice Confed. Plate and some nice rare button types too! Good luck.
I would be speechless!! :o Thanks for the luck! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread