My detector messed up! Is it better or worse?

Digaplug

Sep 29, 2010
TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QDII
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hunting with a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II for about a year now. My family got it for me for Father's Day last year.
I travel a lot for work, and I like to take it with me, but about three months ago I noticed something rolling around inside. My first thought was that I needed to send it in to get it repaired since it is still under warranty.
Then I noticed that I can hunt right under a chain link fence, never hear anything from the fence, but still find coins.
It still works good, but it is not as sensitive as it used to be.
I'm looking to upgrade, so I might want to leave it as is as my friends who hunt with much more expensive MD's can not get anywhere near the fences.
What do you think? Fix or don't fix?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can hunt right next to a metal fence with the stock 9-10 inch coil and get no tone from the fence then there is something wrong with the detector, it has lost too much sensitivity......

If it is under warranty why would you not send send it in for repair? IMO a detector that has lost a lot of sensitivity which means depth and can now hunt under a metal fence is not a detector I would want, unless I wanted to save it to hunt shallow targets under metal bleachers........ If it was mine I would get it repaired while it is under warranty.....

OP
OP
Digaplug

Digaplug

Sep 29, 2010
TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QDII
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can find targets at 4-5 inches down right next to the fence, I just don't pick up the fence.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I wouldn't touch it. You have something most people would kill for. Can you imagine how many coins,jewelry and relics are too near a fence that no one can find. You have effectively opened up a new hunting area out of reach of most detectorists. You can solely detect at your leisure knowing no one will clean out your spots. Mostly around fences,bleachers and other metal structures are hard to detect around with any metal detector. Leave it alone. Enjoy! rockhound

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your using it as a speciality tool that is one thing, but if it is the only detector you got, your giving up a lot of depth, but again I don't know what your original depth was........ For me that could be 7-9" of depth loss over what I get now............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread