My Aunt gave me a HUGE coin collection, Mostly silver!!!!!

Shady Digger

Jun 21, 2007
Cool Ridge, WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great gift! im jealous! haha although my grandma did give me a 1921 morgan silver dollar once. but still nothing compared to this! the 1927 peace dollar alone is worth AT LEAST $15. i say at least because all 3 mint marks in good condition are at that value, and of course the value goes up with condition, and that one looks in pretty good condition. here's a table with that info: http://statequarters.20m.com/d4.html hope it helps! as you can see, you missed the jackpot with it by one year (the 1928 is rated at $255 minimum). but it's still an epic collection nonetheless.

and here's a link for all the other coins :icon_thumright:

http://www.pcgs.com/prices/default.aspx

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goes4ever said:
LSMorgan said:
Nice little lode of silver.
Sentimental value aside, you might want to consider what grandpa would've wanted to you do with them, given the current pricing levels of silver.
There are people who are always saying metals will go up... They say it when silvers doing down, they say it when silvers flat and they say it VERY LOUDLY when silver enjoys a big price spike. Don't listen to these people. They're called "perma-bulls", they exist in any investing niche and their position is based on things that have nothing to do with redible insight. Here's where it's at now.
Usually, charts that look like that mean its wise to start scaling out and at least take a little off the table. Maybe don't sell completely out- who knows, maybe there's headroom- but I know if I had a pile of silver fall into my lap, I wouldn't stay fully invested in it.
I look at silver prices everyday, as I have a boatload of it in my safety deposit box from coin roll hunting, but I have absolutely no plans on selling any of this collection off, silver has never been worth nothing, so I plan on keeping it. If I ever get so poor I can't eat, I may change my mind. But like I said before I have a boatload of FOUND silver from CRHing, so I would sell that before I ever sold these coins!
Hey congrats on the nice inheritence!! Cudos to you!!
You know LSMorgan has some good advise! I know a few of my coin collecting buddies made out quite well at the 45+ silver spike!! But if you dont feel like selling at all you may want to consider trading up to American Eagles Which I did during the high price of silver. I will try and explain what I did. I sold off 30-40% of my 40% silvers at the spike of the silver hike! Thus trading up for some dimes at 90% and holding on to some cash. Well as the silver value came trickling down I bought some Silver Eagles at 99% silver. One reason I am doing this is, with the amount of silver and collectible coins I have if anything were ever to happen to me the Eagles and 90% trade and exchange at much better rates for my family. Just in case they should ever need to deal with my small treasure hoard. I tried with no luck convincing some of my old timers in the detecting field about thinking of their family and trading up some of their mass silver finds (Even Scrap Silver/Gold) for clean shiny new American eagles and they see no reason for it. Go figure!
Cheers and Best of Luck no matter what you do!

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 pro & Whites Classic SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumright: I would keep it and place it in a bank vault or a wall safe at home just my .02 worth

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great gift. Before you sell the coins, buy coin magazines, blue book and red book, and if they are worth a lot of money have the coins graded by a grading company. I been in the business since 1964 and I know what I am writing about. Good Luck.

cgull

May 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, AT PRO, XLT and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great story, I hope to leave my grand children a few coins but nothing close to what you've recieved.

Rik

Sep 27, 2012
Merced, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your grandparents/aunt (hee hee) were anything like mine, they lived through the depression and saved that silver for a rainy day, because it held value. Today we call people like that "doomsdayers". I'm holding on to mine, in case it "rains". If not, I'll just pass it down... You're lucky to come from such wise stock.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rasputin and I do not have the right family. Most coins dealers are crooks. Sell through coins auctions. Best of luck from Stratford, Connecticut. Great news for writer, #1.

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, to the statement about NOT selling to coin dealers. (I won't say they are all crooks. In my life, I have found there are very very few ALL or NONE statements that are true.) That being said, I do know of some that I wouldn't walk into their shops without padlocking my back pocket.
And selling to those who melt down the stuff.....saw some statements from some very disgruntled customers, over the outcome of the transactions they thought were a sure thing.
I like your idea about NOT SELLING those coins you got from your grandparents. Keep that. Pass that down to your kids, and teach/train them in the importance of passing it down to their kids. (Someone along the line will sell. Hopefully, by that time, it will mean a college education, or the equivalent.)
Yep.....the stuff I find, I can sell with no problem. Someone/a friend/a family member......it will be passed down. Others will have to deal with selling those kinds of "treasures."

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
That is an awesome gift. I'm sorry for the loss of your grandfather as I'm sure he was very special to you. Every time you look at the coins, you will think of him.

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG,so happy for you,they loved you so much to pass it down to you,,God Bless:hello2:,,HH:hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread