This sucks...... :(

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a shame. I'm sure nothing will go to waste, but attrition has claimed another. The risks you take when you keep 'em flying.

$2.5M worth of Cyclone engines that the remaining airworthies will be trying for. They and the P&W Wasp
series are getting hard to find.

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fmrUSMC_0844 said:
That is sad. How many of those are left? Maybe 15? In flyable condition?

Yeah 15 or 16 I think that are actually flying, I think there might be a few more in airworthy condition that are on static display at museums. Sad to see one go, those old warbirds are as much heroes as the men who flew in them.

S

stefen

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like all engines were cut before the plane went in...tell by the bend in the props... :coffee2:

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah the pilot got it on the ground ok, and cut the engines. He did a really good job on the landing. Landing gear down, and a short stop. The props bent when the wing spar melted through and the wings and nacelles sagged to the ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread