Which relics are collectible

kitagista

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2011
I am new to this website. I have had metal detectors on and off for 40 years. I have just started using mine again after having recently stopped working. In the past I have only kept coins, rings, jewelry, nice buttons, buckles, souvenir election medals, tokens etc. I have about 2 quarts of coins I found including a lot of silver but no gold. I usually don't keep green pennies or non-silver coins or if I do I spend them. After looking through this site I fear that over the years I have thrown back a lot of collectibles. I have few gun hammers (flintlock and percussion) and an old early 1900's revolver. I have one small iron metorite fragment weighing about 3/4 ounce. I have thrown back an awful lot of old iron items. They do not interest me but many people seem to want them. Could somebody give me a short 1 paragraph on how relic hunters trade or exchange finds and what are the most popular items? I live in an old civil war battle area and often find things like chain (fired from cannons) wagon parts, bullets etc. most of which I do not keep. I would be intereasted in trading for Indian relics as long as they are not robbed from known grave sites or taken from tribal lands. I am a bit sensitive about that.

Thanks in advance.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost all relics are collectible to someone. It's a matter of identifying them and then doing a bit of research to determine if there is a market for it. People collect all manner of strange things, so you might be surprised what otherwise worthless looking items will sell for to the right collector.

I'd like to see a pic of the revolver and the gun parts by the way ;D

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I keep all of my stuff, except gum wrappers, bottlecaps, etc. But I keep all the nails, iron junk, etc.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder what you mean when you say you, "Throw back," some items you deem uncollectable. Does this mean we are to find your Junk where you tossed it? :icon_scratch:

Everything is collectable to someone. Relic hunters have swap meets and at club meetings they can trade items or sell them.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I keep everything. I have gone back thru my junk several times and found something that is a relic more than once. I wonder how many fuses were thrown away before people realized what they were. Eventually I will probably find someone to take my horseshoes, nails and other iron objects that I don't want.

floodcitykid

Nov 3, 2008
Appomattox coVirginia
Detector(s) used
whites eagle spectrum
fisher gold bug
You mentioned Civil war relics that you found and Threw AWAY(????)

Never EVER thow anything away you find from a civil war site, you have no idea what it is unless you are an expert and the experts are getting suprised all the time by new things. You specifically mentioned bullets and I urge you never to do such again. Some bullets are worth a lot of money to collectors.

My advise is to concentrate on civil war relics since you seme to have and area that has been productive, some buttons and insignia and belt buckels can be literally worth their weight in gold.

The flood City Kid

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions