Audio Only And Most Audio-Visual Metal Detectors Are "Beep and Dig" IMHO !

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Audio Only And Most Audio-Visual Metal Detectors Are "Beep and Dig" IMHO !

I know I'm probably setting myself up to get "kicked-in-the-head" with this one ! :laughing7:

But let's get real folks, even the great Tabdog digs lots of junk from the Tot Lots, along with all the valuable jewelry.........look at the photos accompanying his posts.......what does that tell you ? I give him credit though for being humble and honest, showing the bad along with the good.

All the different tones made by various metals are only suggestions of what could actually be in the ground. For example, if it sounds like a pull tab, it could be a gold ring of a certain "K" value ! Conclusion : I better dig to be sure. So, I'm operating on the beep and dig principle.....right ?

Just used Tabdog to make a point here..........actually he is my MD'ing hero ! In fact, I just recently bought a new Tesoro Compadre and will be "beeping and digging" the Tot Lots of parks in my area, hoping to mimic his success, on a much smaller scale of course. ::)

If any part of this post has offended anyone, I apologize in advance, especially to Tabdog for assuming to use him in my above example without previous permission.

Opinions on the subject are naturally welcome !

ToddB64

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Audio Only And Most Audio-Visual Metal Detectors Are "Beep and Dig" IMHO !

About what you say about the beep and dig is true. Even with high end detectors the multiple tones only give the user the option to dig or not based on past experience and what level of fun he or she wants to have. Many are in this hobby for the excitement of finding anything and are quite happy when it turns out to be a ring or old coil as they met some personal goal.

We buy cars with all the options for our comfort but what we really use them for is to get from here to there. Everyone likes different features on their detector and will swear by them increasing their fun and finds.

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Sandman.........well put ! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your reply.

ToddB64

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have a Prizm 2 and an Ace 150, and I've found good stuff with both, I've also found junk, lots of it. I just dig pretty much any signal that doesn't sound like an engine block. I'm in it to have fun, get out of the house and to find neat stuff occasionally. If I didn't want to dig, I'd get a different hobby.

I've never used a modern top end machine, so I can't say anything about them, maybe I'd dig less junk, maybe not.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I have a beep and dig machine (Tejon) and can get a good idea on the size and depth of the target by audio and that's about it. If I run it in disc mode I can also get a good idea of how conductive it is. But, if I were to dig a park or tot lot I think I'd want something with a vdi or notch reading. Otherwise I'd be doing a lot of digging.

-Swartzie

Theakiki

Dec 28, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX550
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I've noticed that when I'm on an outing, I dig most signals at the beginning, later on as I get physically tired, and my time is growing shorter, I let many signals pass.

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

everyone does that, right? in reality all detectors are beep and dig. doesn't everyone start out digging tons of pull tabs and trash...get tired and start passing on the pull tab type signals- only digging good tones for copper and silver (pennys and dimes/quarters)...once I start getting run down (or have been out for too many hours digging) I tend to just dig the higher tones for silver and hope for the best!- but I won't pass up nickels either since finding a ring that rang up as nickel! ... :) I started with a bounty hunter (digging everything!), then an Ace 350 and now have a mine lab E-Trac I got from Woodland. I love the thing, but it's just basically an educated guess as to what is under the ground- I've been fooled by good tones before (after all who hasn't dug a matchbox car or 10?)- I can say that since the higher end detector my percentage of trash has dropped, but I still dig junk, it's part of the fun! I can say that the higher end detector does give me more of an objective idea as to what might be in the ground/ telling me FE/CO #'s- but a thin piece of sheet metal will fool any machine- but the good news is you have a good idea where the object is, and how deep it is- the fun part is recovering that object in question. one of the best things about recovering things / good or bad- is the finding that object! it's like saying 'wow' mystery solved I know now what was making that noise!!! :) I know of a small beach area on a public pond and was considering just digging all the pull tab signals until the beach/grassy area was clean. no idea what I'd find, but I'd bet it would be mostly pull tabs... :) the good news is you never know...next time I have some free time I will likely hit that area hard just to see what I might find... :)

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hi mfitzy111 :hello:

Nice post !

...next time I have some free time I will likely hit that area hard just to see what I might find...

If you do hit it HARD, there's always a good chance you will be doing the happy dance ! :laughing7:

Please let us know if you find any jewelry and include a photo if possible.

Thanks,

ToddB64

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I cut my teeth on an old White's 3000 that was a beep and dig. Had a tiny "Intensity" meter that didnt tell you squat...needle moved just like the intensity of the beep. Manual gb sucked on it, very erratic and unstable....but after much practice, I did find stuff. I learned the broken signals from the good ones but dug tons of old iron. Disc on that machine wasn't the greatest and you lost lots of depth if you cranked it up so I usually dug to disc salt.

My next machines had better tid, disc and more stable gb...and my trash to goodies changed dramatically.

Now I own the Vision with all the bells and whistles and for a multiple of reasons.

I have very limited time to detect now because of work and mainly my health. The machine is a lot lighter than my previous machines and the TID is exceptional with a variety of ways to interprete a target before I decide to dig.

I still dig iffy signals...that's the fun of it and I like the challenge of hitting worked out sites that are never truely worked out...I just don't dig the tabs and foil I used to. I'll dig the first few just to know what I'm seeing and learn whats in the ground...but then I just go for the better signals.

Al

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Todd, I am the worlds worst about passing over stuff as I get tired..The older I get the worse I am..I used to dig EVERYTHING using a Whites 5500 Series D...found lots of good stuff..Now, when I take the Ace, or the 1350 out, I mostly dig the coin sounding stuff....Im sure I have missed many a ring...If you have the time, and the energy, digem all, you will be doing as good as any pro out there..(well maybe not, but you know what I mean) Have fun, and Happy 4th of July to you, and to all....HH.......Tom

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

The Tesoro Compadre is deadly in the Tot Lots. Especially the sand volley ball courts. Best machine for the money hands down.

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Your Compadre like my Vaquero and Silver uMax are single tone, beep 'n dig machines but after you log some serious hours with your Compadre you will begin to notice that single tone can be quite expressive. Couple that with a few physical tricks and you are not going to miss a VDI readout.

Lay a penny, a zincoln, a nickle, a pulltab and a dime on the ground well spaced out. Play your coil over each item. As you do slowly turn the knob up the discrimination scale. Make note of where each item is lost. Do each item several times. Under normal circumstances this will never change. You will note I did not say quarter under the coins. You will get the same 'reading' off the dime as you will a quarter. Follow this while hunting and you will have a fair idea what's in the ground before you dig it. Is it foolproof? Oh heck no, you must still dig.

To gauge depth, slowly swing your coil over a target, raising your coil an inch on each succeeding sweep. The higher you can raise your coil while still getting a signal indicates how shallow or deep the target it. Of course large targets such a a soda can or piece of tin off a roof will fool you every time.

On my Vaquero the tone given off by a penny, dime and quarter is a tiny bit higher pitched than normal. has almost a tinny ring to it. A soda can or large piece of steel gives off a richer baritone ring. Pulltabs are somewhat down the line on sound and nickles give off an almost 'iffy' sound. Practice, practice, practice.

For general hunting I run my discriminator just a teeny tad past the iron mark. If you kick out foil you are losing delicate gold rings and earrings.

Good luck and happy hunting.

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I just want to pop in here to say "Thanks" to everyone for posting their opinions and experiences with the different brands/models of detectors, in regard to "Beep and Dig". Some of you have even offerred tips that benefit us all !

For those of us , like myself, who are experiencing more discomfort in our senior years, kneeling to dig, retrieve and stand up again, we dig every beep for as long as our pain tolerance and energy will allow. Then we tend to either skip over some of the stuff that sounds like trash or quit for the day. That last option is always hard for me. :laughing7:

Your inputs are appreciated and I hope to see more !

ToddB64

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know I'm probably setting myself up to get "kicked-in-the-head" with this one ! :laughing7:

But let's get real folks, even the great Tabdog digs lots of junk from the Tot Lots, along with all the valuable jewelry.........look at the photos accompanying his posts.......what does that tell you ? I give him credit though for being humble and honest, showing the bad along with the good.

All the different tones made by various metals are only suggestions of what could actually be in the ground. For example, if it sounds like a pull tab, it could be a gold ring of a certain "K" value ! Conclusion : I better dig to be sure. So, I'm operating on the beep and dig principle.....right ?

Just used Tabdog to make a point here..........actually he is my MD'ing hero ! In fact, I just recently bought a new Tesoro Compadre and will be "beeping and digging" the Tot Lots of parks in my area, hoping to mimic his success, on a much smaller scale of course. ::)

If any part of this post has offended anyone, I apologize in advance, especially to Tabdog for assuming to use him in my above example without previous permission.

Opinions on the subject are naturally welcome !

ToddB64

You are true to the word, old post but time for a wake up call for others out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions