Construction ite at Down Town Fort Smith Ar

cgull

May 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, AT PRO, XLT and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
while driving through Fort Smith Ar last week I saw a large portion of down town Fort Smith being cleared. Before I could get permision to detect the site the company had removed the topsoil down 3-4 feet. This looked to be an outstanding site for old coins and relics. Would the city or the Historical Society excavated a site such as this before digging? I just wish I could of detected just after the tear down, who knows what I may have found. Maybe I can find where the top soil was removed to.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If it's a large area that was cleared, and lots of soil, I bet they didn't do a good job of getting any keepers removed from the soil. Or perhaps didn't even check at all anyhow. At least that's the way it is in "archaeological monitoring" at sites here in CA. They just sample here and there, and let the rest get hauled off with the trucks.

If I was you, I'd find out where they took the dirt too. Hopefully it's at a place where they spread it out, and didn't leave it in piles. :icon_thumleft:

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cgul i have a question for you near downtown at the river , have you ever md in that area and have you had any luck. there is so much history in that area and i have been wanting to try there maybe for a gold coin. dont know if it is even legal to md there, what do you think. suprdave

OP
OP
cgull

cgull

May 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, AT PRO, XLT and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
suprdave said:
cgul i have a question for you near downtown at the river , have you ever md in that area and have you had any luck. there is so much history in that area and i have been wanting to try there maybe for a gold coin. dont know if it is even legal to md there, what do you think. suprdave
SuprDave, I would not detect any where near the river without permission. I'm pretty sure metal detecting is not allowed near the down town river areas.

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
has anyone out there md-ed Ft Smith park as its near the river an would it be safe there. ive heard that park has had some issues

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread