Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Why can't I get this lucky?

No, he's telling a good story and getting paid extremely well for all his low value coins that can't be sold as singles. So he fooled you and 33 others! There's nothing stopping anyone else from doing the same thing, you just need a lot of low end coins to take the picture. And hell, not even that many, just gotta make it look full.

OP
OP
relichunters

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro

Actually I didn't buy any, I'd only pay that price for the full bag.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

relichunters said:
Actually I didn't buy any, I'd only pay that price for the full bag.

I know, and you're lucky because you probably would have got a pretty sad batch of coins.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah, these guys are great story tellers. It's amazing how many of these kinds of lots exist on ebay and just how well they do.

When they say there is a sucker born every minute, they aren't lying, ha.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bazinga said:
Yeah, these guys are great story tellers. It's amazing how many of these kinds of lots exist on ebay and just how well they do.

I think the "hombre" probably bought a few of those lots. It would explain things quite a bit. :laughing7:

snorton750

Jul 28, 2006
Auburn, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic ID

The thing I find interesting is they are totally unsearched but he knows they are all US coins. (????)

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
bazinga said:

I think the "hombre" probably bought a few of those lots. It would explain things quite a bit. :laughing7:

Haha, which is why he has plenty of KY available to lend to me for all of my unfair dealings.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The bag may be unsearched (and foam rubber filled except the last 2") but that doesn't mean each 1/3 pound bag he sends you won't be. I'm skeptical enough to believe if the rest of the story is true that he's keeping an eye out for the key dates of certain types as they go in a sell bag.

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

wow- I'd pay $80 for that whole bag of coins...if he could give me exactly what is in the picture...but yeah I'm sure he's cherry picked out the key dates- guess it depends on what your looking for ...a collection or just junk silver...the listing is vague so you really don't know what the heck your going to end up with after dropping down your money... I have bought coins off of e-bay before/ about $14.50 in silver cost me about $50 - I wanted junk silver, and that is what I got- not really a coin collection, but nice enough to get me interested in collecting coins... it's all good- meaning we should all be checking the auctions looking for estate sales of old junk coins. :icon_thumright: and I know everyone here would love to find that bag with a detector! that would rock! :tongue3:

spear85

Apr 23, 2011

I highly doubt those handles on that satchel would support that much weight in coins...those poor handles are gonna be hanging on for dear life! I agree with Charlie that the satchel is more than likely stuffed with something to make it look full.

S

stefen

A sucker is born every minute... :coffee2:

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO

1.The plastic twine on the handles is well after the silver coin era.
2. He had over 4 hours of chat with the seller?
3. Why on God's green earth would someone who bought a bunch of coins at an estate sale drag hundreds of pounds of coins into the woods to take pictures?
4. Seriously, look at that bag in the woods with the twine holding the handle. Imagine putting that bag there for a picture. How would you do it? How much does it weigh, taking that into consideration?

You could get 1/3 lb pocket change for your $79 with the info he has posted.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There is no such thing an an unsearched bag of coins IMO.... unless you're talking about bank bags of loose coinage. I know for a FACT that if I bought a bag of coins that big, the first thing that would happen when I got home would be me dumping it on the floor and spending all night looking through them. Then I'd irritate everyone on this site for days posting pics of what I found in it.......... ;D

I feel kinda sorry for the poor rubes that bought one, but not really.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The only time I ever believe "truly unsearched" is when I go to a Fed auction - they just pack up stuff in a box, tape it up, and only god and greyhound knows whats in it. If they find separate key days, they sell them separately, but, quite often you can get "grab bags" - anywhere from a small box to a huge crate - and you can get some really interesting stuff in there. (you don't get to open it until they are yours and you take them out.

Everyone else - I just do not believe the "unsearched" statement - I don't care how many wonderful comments they may have.

Beth

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's simple, you stick to smaller lots that is the actual item, and ones you can see enough to have an idea of what to expect. To pay $80 to let someone choose at random what you will receive - you definitely get what you deserve. (common low value coins and a good lesson) I think buying lots is a blast and if there was storage auctions here it would be right up my ally, but lots and storage units are definitely not all winners when someone pushed the bid and really made you pay for them.

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000

Iron Patch said:

LOL... The first thing I thought when I saw the listing was that you might have been the seller in question. :-*

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000

bazinga said:
Iron Patch said:

Haha, which is why he has plenty of KY available to lend to me for all of my unfair dealings.

Your malicious attempts to slander my good name here in this lovely internet community which I hold so dear has caused me much mental anguish. The overwhelming depression has now thrust me back into the cruel clutches of narcotics addiction, and I will now be re-confined to the nearest rehabilitation center where it will be my fate to once again suffer through "the cure". The road to the sanatorium filled with its brutal tortures is paved with hurtful comments from the T-Net Wonder Twins. I hope you two are proud of yourselves.....

>:(

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
Iron Patch said:

LOL... The first thing I thought when I saw the listing was that you might have been the seller in question. :-*

If you were the buyer I would be more than happy to be the seller.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
bazinga said:
Iron Patch said:

Your malicious attempts to slander my good name here in this lovely internet community which I hold so dear has caused me much mental anguish. The overwhelming depression has now thrust me back into the cruel clutches of narcotics addiction, and I will now be re-confined to the nearest rehabilitation center where it will be my fate to once again suffer through "the cure". The road to the sanatorium filled with its brutal tortures is paved with hurtful comments from the T-Net Wonder Twins. I hope you two are proud of yourselves.....

>:(

Well I've lived in that world, so have been there and done that. Whether this is true, or a joke, I honestly don't care because you put yourself in that situation much the same as you did on these threads, and it's only you that can get yourself out. So do yourself a favor and drop the excuses.

If it's a joke it's a pretty sad attempt at humor because it's not funny when an addiction someone one by the **&^.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions