NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Cass, I do know what you mean about cottonmouths, the eastern massasauga rattler (bog rattler) is another one like that. Nasty buggers. My point was just to watch out and keep in mind that most snakes are not dangerous and to take the time to be educated about them. There's no point in killing anything that's either not a threat, or that you're not going to eat. A little knowledge goes a long way in the woods.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOLA_Ken said:
Hi Cass, I do know what you mean about cottonmouths, the eastern massasauga rattler (bog rattler) is another one like that. Nasty buggers. My point was just to watch out and keep in mind that most snakes are not dangerous and to take the time to be educated about them. There's no point in killing anything that's either not a threat, or that you're not going to eat. A little knowledge goes a long way in the woods.

I've had many encounters with the massasauga, and found them not aggressive. The first was wading chest deep in a swamp, hitting it with a stick, age 12. The last when surveying a few years ago, he watched me from a pond, like 15 feet away. Good thing, I was stuck thigh deep in the mud. I think they're cute.

I used to hunt eastern diamond backs, and they are foul tempered. Don't like them.

Landfar

Greenie
Apr 2, 2011
I detect here in Ecuador over 400 kinds of snakes . I find the best protection in snake country is have someone walk in front of you .
But Seriously snakes are way over rated make noise thump the ground and they slink away they really don't want to mess with ya.
I have actually never seen a snake in the bush while using this meathod.
I see plenty crossing the road from a truck .
But when I first was here I was freaking out walking through neck High grass and having a native tell me oh don't worry no snakes in this area. he was on a horse I always wondered if the snakes knew it was a no snake zone.
But after being here 2 years and in the bush all the time . I play it safe but I really do not worry about it.

triplehooked

Jul 21, 2010
Elmdale, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Currently back to a Vx3 withe D2 coil ti'l I can save for the V3i. Previous detectors include: Cz3d, CZ20, Vx3, Explorer SE Pro, XLT, MXTx2, Classic ID, Vaquero, Cibola, F2, Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Landfar said:
I detect here in Ecuador over 400 kinds of snakes . I find the best protection in snake country is have someone walk in front of you .

Ha...that's funny. but no kidding....think I'd hire a guide (target) to walk in front of me.... :thumbsup:
Equador.... don't you have like the Bushmaster and Fer De Lance down there...just to name a couple of MANY nasty life-threatening critters in your neighborhood? You deserve to find Incan treasure with those kind of obstacles. And here I'm worried about poison ivy and maybe the rogue Massasauga rattler.... ::)

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like landfar's advice. haha! About rattler's we used to say the first one gets his attention, the second one makes him mad, and the third one gets bit. Some good advice so far. Study up on your local flora and fauna. Most snakes just want to get away given the chance but water snakes always seem to be more territorial and aggressive. SE Oklahoma does have poison oak and poison sumac, even reports of alligators around Broken Bow and Idabel. NE Texas would probably be about the same. Not much of all growin right now in West Texas. Just go for it and pay attention. Please do let someone you trust know where you'll be and when you expect to be back, just in case. GH!

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
worldtalker said:
Right on Terry,those CottonMouths like them trees!!!!!!!!!!!

They do like trees, and unlike many other poisonous snakes, moccasins and C-mouths will pursue you. The main thing is to not step on any snake! martin

OP
OP
goverton

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
I like landfar's advice. haha! About rattler's we used to say the first one gets his attention, the second one makes him mad, and the third one gets bit. Some good advice so far. Study up on your local flora and fauna. Most snakes just want to get away given the chance but water snakes always seem to be more territorial and aggressive. SE Oklahoma does have poison oak and poison sumac, even reports of alligators around Broken Bow and Idabel. NE Texas would probably be about the same. Not much of all growin right now in West Texas. Just go for it and pay attention. Please do let someone you trust know where you'll be and when you expect to be back, just in case. GH!

That is good advice.....
I am already alergic to Poison sumac....just getting near it and I break out.......I always carry
CalaClear and sometimes put it on before I venture out. Works wonders! Always have to wash clothes after being around Sumac.

Attachments

• CalaClear.jpg
    CalaClear.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 157

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goverton said:
I am already alergic to Poison sumac....just getting near it and I break out.......I always carry
CalaClear and sometimes put it on before I venture out. Works wonders! Always have to wash clothes after being around Sumac.

That's smart. I ALWAYS wash my bush clothes in hot water in the summer when I get back home. Never can tell what you brought back with you.

For insects, Chiggers are the most miserable, and deer ticks are the most dangerous. As far as plants go, it is cheap insurance for you.

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
A lot of good advice has been given on this topic. In central Texas, another problem we have is alligators, feral hogs, and cougars. I would not hunt around a river or creek alone, the more the merrier. I also do not hunt in the woods unarmed. The animals in the area dictate the weapon. I do not use headphones while in the woods either.

Good luck, and be safe,

Bill

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bsloan said:
A lot of good advice has been given on this topic. In central Texas, another problem we have is alligators, feral hogs, and cougars. I would not hunt around a river or creek alone, the more the merrier. I also do not hunt in the woods unarmed. The animals in the area dictate the weapon. I do not use headphones while in the woods either.

Good luck, and be safe,

Bill

Also very good advice. Cougars are ambush hunters who have lost a lot of their fear of man due to not being hunted often, if at all.

S

stefen

McKinney_5900 said:
worldtalker said:
Right on Terry,those CottonMouths like them trees!!!!!!!!!!!

They do like trees, and unlike many other poisonous snakes, moccasins and C-mouths will pursue you. The main thing is to not step on any snake! martin

I was of the opinion that moccasins and C-mouths were one and the same :icon_scratch:

pastorals

Jul 12, 2011
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry speaks from many years in the wilds of White Plains, New York!! The venomous reptiles are exceptionally thick up there! :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions