Hello from Eastern Pa. New to the forum and to MD

Twobuells

Jul 3, 2011

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet family.. :hello:

I don't use Bounty Hunters but can tell you to just get out there and have some fun. If you set disc to eliminate pull tabs you will at least find some coins without having to bend down for trash. Take note that disc out pull tabs you will not find hardly any gold ring, but the chances for this are lots higher near swim areas where fingers are slippery.

Read all you can about the hobby and subscribe to treasure magazines so you can learn more as this is all part of the fun too. I used to keep records of what I found, where, how deep and such. Now I just place all the finds in butter tubs. Learn how to retrieve a coin without cutting a plug and if you have to, make it 3 sided. Place any dirt removed on a cloth for placing it all back in the hole. Learn to pinpoint well.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch some videos, and read posts on here about proper digging techniques and practice in your own yard(it's easy) if you're not careful you'll lose any hunting spots you have before you even get started if you tick people off. I am also from Eastern Pa near Kutztown University. I have a few decent spots if you want to tag along someday. And since you are new the two guys that replied before me are in my top 5 for trust of information given so utilize there expertise whenever you can.

brucebob

Jun 14, 2011
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Welcome from Nebraska! I'm new to metal detecting as well, keep at it and don't be discouraged if you don't find gold and silver right away.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you've gotten some good advice here already, all I can say is go out and dig everything for a while. You'll get to know what different things sound like on your machine and over time you'll be able to start figuring out what sounds good and what sounds like trash. It'll take a while, but it's worth it.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from the other side of the state. Sandman said it, set it to the basics and go have fun. Fill your holes neatly, mind your manners, obey the laws...keep Pa legal to detecting.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread