magnet hunting

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I used mine to get some metal out of a old cement water thingy once was about 4 feet deep had to climb down in the first time anyhow because I did the knot wrong and it came off LOL I got it so I wouldn't have to go down in there in the first place because I was worried about snakes. I got in and out like a jack in the box head lol Once I got the knot tied right it worked pretty good. Haven't needed it since and it is somewhere in the back of my truck been thinking of trying this magnet fishing in the water around here just haven't yet. Good luck though

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
how much does it cost at harbor freight? I'd like to check out an old fishing hole to see if I can find discarded interesting goodies...too bad magnets can't pickup silver and gold- kind of makes it less profitable...

ntt

Dec 20, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
please explain this to me, i have never heard of magnet fishing?

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magnet fishing is tying a magnet to a long rope and chucking it into the water. you never know what will turn up. The best spots are really around bridges IMO, since that's where most things get tossed from. There's a great spot here where the police used to dump confiscated guns off a bridge and I'd really like to give it a shot there soon.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did this with a friend years ago,we tied it to some climbing rope and thru it in the lake and found about 4 tackle boxes,1 even had a cellphone in it,we also found a couple 100 yards of fence post pipe,but we were young & dumb and left 'em on the shore. :BangHead:

ntt

Dec 20, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so it's basically like dragging a river? i have wanted to do that too, i am going to have much fun here i can tell.

so what would be a good magnet/ rope to get, i do know of a couple good spots for that,

thanks in advance

ammo_u

Nov 25, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very neat, I checked and in Tulsa they have one for $13

S

stefen

Hey!

Put on some waders and spend a few hours in a new relaxing hobby :thumbsup:

Beats dumpster diving and is much cleaner.

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
We did this some years ago when my kids were young. The boy came home with a story about some kids bikes being thrown in the local park pond. I purchased a 250 lb magnet at Harbor Freight and a long rope and we went out to the park. The first throw produced a kids bike, the second throw produced another, the third produced one that had been there a long time.

The first two belong to two kids who's father ran a local Pharmacy, we cleaned them up the best we could and called the pharmacy and they picked them up that evening. That old black gumbo from the bottom of that pond sure did stink, I hope they were able make them usable again.

A couple years latter the local police asked me to see if I could help salvage some guns that were stolen and thrown off a bridge at a local lake, we managed to reach a couple of them, but the other were to deep for my ropes. The fire departments diving team was called in to recover the rest.

They work pretty good as long as it is steel and the rope is long enough and you are strong enough to drag it out.

Rick :coffee2:

Alienson

Nov 15, 2011
Austin, Texas, area
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I lost my kayak anchor because of a lousy knot (somebody tied) but remembered that I had one of those magnets in my truck. Tying a SECURE knot on it, I found the anchor in short order.

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & GC1023
I got my magnet at harbor freight. Used it a few times.
Got a nice 20 speed mongoose bike from a bridge. My son rides it now.
Last time out I saw a large box shaped object. The magnet stuck to it but was not strong enough to lift it. I think it was a washer or refrigerator.

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you loose the magnet just fish it up with a lump of steel. Had to do this when friend let go of rope! Nuggy

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should mount an ATV winch in the bed of your truck, or try and use a Hi Lift jack as a come-a-long. It would pull a lot easier than just your arms. But then again, a $99. winch kinda destroys the "thrifty" factor, if that's what you were after...

It sounds like fun! I remember as a kid at the local lake, seeing a paid paper box in the bottom of a little cove. It was too deep to get it, but I remember thinking about all that bubble gum money still in there!

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been doing this for years now...I live in B.C., and fortunately, our coins are magnetic... so our dimes, nickels, quarters, dollar and two dollar coins are attracted to the magnet.

On my best day, I pulled out over $225.00 in coins using a magnet

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just sent my wife to Harbor Freight to purchase me one. Yesterday I found an old well, I plan on trying it out this Saturday.

Attachments

• IMG_3564.JPG
    IMG_3564.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 866
  • magnet.jpg
    magnet.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 851
  • IMG_3564.JPG
    IMG_3564.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 835

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
I plan on hitting an old river ferry crossing here in SW Virginia using a magnet. Hope I don't flip my canoe if it gets stuck on something big!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread