How do you catch a THIEF? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: How do you catch a THIEF?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2005
    Maine
    22 times

Re: How do you catch a THIEF?

Large rat traps can be made into great noise making or signaling devices by drilling a hole in the snap area to fit a shotgun shell (blanks preferred), and then bending the stricker wire to strike the primer or pin. the dangerous end of the shotgun shell faces into the ground so you have to dig a space for it so that it lays flat. These can be set as is or with trip wires to set them off. It will certainly let you know when they are in the area if you are within earshot, or it may just scare them enough so they do not return !!!.

us
    Jan 2010

I stopped a poacher one time with a good amount of spray foam insulation in the tail pipe of his truck. All you have to do is be there when they are. Otherwise a game camera is about all you can do. I agree harming them is off the table.

stefen

Quote Originally Posted by truckinbutch
    Stefen ,
    Did I say sompin wrong ?
    NO!

Just agreeing witcha

us
    Jan 2010
    Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
    260 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Well thanks for all the replies. I think I will talk to my hunting partner about the game camera and not so much about the "booty traps". I think the only problem we will have is that they have to be walking in because his property is locked in. So we might have to talk to the neighbors about keeping a look out.

worldtalker- I hunt here once or twice every two weeks.

truckinbutch- I don't know what the redneck comment about trespassing is about but round here we protect good places to hunt.

How high off the ground will one of those game cameras be set off from someone walking? Any ideas?

us
    The Pool Table Is My Yard

Jul 2008
    WV
    Fisher F2
    49 times

A buddy had set one up, bout 12-15' high... Just shim it to the right angle you need.... Maybe post signs sayin, Smile You are on Camera.... You could use yer Imagination to doctor it....

There's more then 1 way to skin a cat
    Theres A Place For All Creatures..Right Next To The Taters And Gravy..

Buy some old playboy books, lace them with anthrax, and place them in a nice red tool box with an IED. (IED on each side of the box<<< important) I did the single in 98 and failed, but the anthrax worked nicely. Good luck.

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro...I am a wealth of mostly trivial information.....

Jan 2011
    Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer
    3387 times

Game cameras are your best bet, plus you might want to give the local sheriff a call and let them know there's been trespassing and vandalism going on. Might help.
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

I collect military relics, mainly German and American, but interested in others as well, pre 1945 .. Always interested in adding to my collection

some of my antique photo collection : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    3331 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

mr magoo -- i respect your service -- however --folks "tresspassing" illegally and removing items without permission are CALLED "THIEFS"--- frankly --they do not belong upon another persons land "recovering history" without the landowners ok -- its called TRESSPASSING AND STEALING not "recoverying history" ---legally done -yes its recovering history --- I like most folks , hate theifs and tresspassers as well --folks like that will screw up our "hobby" of recovering history by giving detecting folks a bad name . and getting us banned --tresspassing jerks being their "in a rush" leave their holes unfilled causing innocent folks to twist their ankles --turn arounds fair play . -- if they were not breaking the law by tresspassing they would not get hurt, now would they?
    ColeBen likes this.

us
    Mar 2010
    Florida
    ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
    4742 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Best way to catch a thief.....by the throat with a pitbull.

us
    Feb 2007
    East Central Florida WP
    Whites XLT / M6
    19 times

Just put up a few of these....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ray S ECenFL

us
    Jul 2010
    Middletown, Pennsylvania
    Spectrum XLT
    5 times
    Metal Detecting

It is against the law to set a trap for a human being that can result in injury. Keep that in mind. You could end up in worse trouble that a simple trespasser.

The second sentence in the original post about the 1 oz. gold Kugerrand told me all I needed to know about why others were detecting there. You told.

A piece of advice from someone who has been in this hobby for many years, the next time you find something of value keep it to yourself and yourself alone. Don't tell your wife, your kids, your parents, your minister, your best friend or Jesus. Ain't nobody's business but yours.
    Dispenser of sage wisdom

us
    Chris

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    Whites M-6 W/ DD6x10 SunRay DX-1 (A real sleeper)
    20007 times
    The one everybody else missed.

OldCoon,Sure would like to eye out your stash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    EVER WONDER WHERE YOUR THOUGHTS COME FROM?

​The Key...http://antidoteforall.com/

When we come into the world we take on the identity of those who are more powerful than us.

us
    Mar 2010
    Florida
    ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
    4742 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

OldCoon, could we see some pics of your finds?

us
    Jan 2010
    Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
    260 times

Old coon- no I didn't tell, the gold was found in a sock draw. I might be dump but I ain't stupid. This place butts up to a very well known protected area. So any idiot can get the idea there might be something good around. Just looking to stop those idiots...

Just another thought about all this while I'm thinking. Locks are only designed to keep the honest people honest. Kinda the same way about no trespassing signs it seems.

Nov 2006
    8 times

(The following is presented for entertainment purposes only, and is not meant to be taken as legal advice of any kind.)

If the property is fenced in, big bad loud dogs. Then fire a shotgun in the air to give'm warning that someone knows they're there. If you can hire some scary looking guy to play the part, they might think twice about trespassing where some paranoid crazy homeless dude camps out....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links