How do you catch a THIEF?

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my hunting partner called me today with some good and bad news. The good news he found a 1oz Kugarand in a draw with a 10 dollar gold piece. But then he told me his neighbor heard people digin our spot. Naturally this makes me HOT. Our spot is 40 acres of Confederate trench lines that are posted to the hilt. So how do you catch someone diggin on 40 acres? People like this dont care about the rule and generally don't give a sh*t about anything else. And I am worried that they might ruin the permission we have to hunt the surrounding property.My only thought is wildlife motion cameras. Anyone else have any ideas?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
too bad its not yer land ( booby traps are nice if it was -- fish hooks strung up calf high on 80 lb test clear fishing line - tends to give em the stay the hell out message. ) -- game cam's (well hidden) to prevent them being spotted and thus damaged or stolen by the scum would be a good ideal since its not yer land --give the images to the land owner to help bust the tresspassers with.

its no fun when folks will not "respect" YOUR off limits / posted signs --sort of like when folks try to use "sneaky metal detecting sandels" under long pants to try to hunt posted " off limits spots" :icon_pirat: ::)

OP
OP
ynpto804

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
too bad its not yer land ( booby traps are nice if it was -- fish hooks strung up calf high on 80 lb test clear fishing line - tends to give em the stay the hell out message. ) -- game cam's (well hidden) to prevent them being spotted and thus damaged or stolen by the scum would be a good ideal since its not yer land --give the images to the land owner to help bust the tresspassers with.

Not looking to kill but good idea. Its not my land but it is my hunting partners. Whats the best way to hide a game camera?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
oh its best to camo it up so that its to the side of a trail they use * do not use the flash option as it will give away the cameras location -- a pit fall type "ankle twister" pit is another non lethal favorite --a few foot deep pit say a foot wide and say 2 foot long by 2 foot deep -- covered criss cross pattern wize with thin tiny twigs and covered with leaf debris once stepped upon the foot goes in twisting the jerks ankle --

if one wants to maim a bit but not kill --use the ankle twister pit with the following-- a chunk of two by four with big nails driven thru it--placed so the points face upward placed at the bottom of the hole --or soda / beer bottles neck down are shoved in the dirt and the bottles busted -- used the bottle one in the past myself once --ugly mess once they stepped in it sliced his foot to bits--and once you find out who got treated for getting their foot mangled at the local hospital you know who was tresspassing --they can not say squat about it because they would reveal their "tresspassing" crime by doing so --uh make sure yer land is very well "posted" )

BridgeHunter

Jul 5, 2011
Uriah, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Fisher Quicksilver Pro , White Spectra V3i
Yep game cams. Look for area where they might park at and set up cams. Might get lucky and get license plate?

BridgeHunter

GringoStarr

Aug 15, 2009
La Florida
Detector(s) used
Metrotech 220, Spartan 175, Metrotech 330, Garrett CXiii With Bloodhound Attachment. Garrett Hand Scanner, and others.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a big problem. Can you do a surveillance on the property?The game cameras are a good idea. Possibly the best is to see where they park their cars, ect... Write down license plate numbers, and catch them back at their vehicle. A citizens arrest can hold them until the law arrives. Carry a shotgun, it will surely intimidate and they will comply with your orders. Be careful, lawful, and good luck!

"The Gringo."

S

stefen

I don't agree with the ankle breaking pits, however I would suggest hiring a local kid to keep a lookout for suspicious cars and trucks parked on or near the property.

Think I'd use a passive / aggressive approach.... and not do anything that would result in physically harming these fine upstanding individuals...

A removed valve stem insert(s) or a punctured tire(s) might get the message across...

Or wait until they return to their car / truck, then call the local sheriff and have him explain the benefits of respecting posted property...

Now in the event you can catch these fine folks on the property with MD gear in-hand...simply approach with a shotgun and relieve them of their equipment and make a citizens arrest...

Or better yet, take their equipment, shoes, pants and shirts and let them hike home...(gotta remember to keep the car keys, as well)

Be smart and let the law take precedence.

ivan salis said:
oh its best to camo it up so that its to the side of a trail they use * do not use the flash option as it will give away the cameras location -- a pit fall type "ankle twister" pit is another non lethal favorite --a few foot deep pit say a foot wide and say 2 foot long by 2 foot deep -- covered criss cross pattern wize with thin tiny twigs and covered with leaf debris once stepped upon the foot goes in twisting the jerks ankle --

if one wants to maim a bit but not kill --use the ankle twister pit with the following-- a chunk of two by four with big nails driven thru it--placed so the points face upward placed at the bottom of the hole --or soda / beer bottles neck down are shoved in the dirt and the bottles busted -- used the bottle one in the past myself once --ugly mess once they stepped in it sliced his foot to bits--and once you find out who got treated for getting their foot mangled at the local hospital you know who was tresspassing --they can not say squat about it because they would reveal their "tresspassing" crime by doing so --uh make sure yer land is very well "posted" )
As a former Army Ranger I have a hard time believing what you are saying.You have got to be crazy to give this person these ideas.I have seen many booby traps,both in combat situations and in training andf I feel you are an idiot for suggestions like this,you want to see someone get killed,and if you deny it you are a liar.From what you are telling these people to do will lead to a bad result and you know this so you sir are as much to blame for what happens as the people who are trying to recover history

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
mrmagoo560 said:
ivan salis said:

As a former Army Ranger I have a hard time believing what you are saying.You have got to be crazy to give this person these ideas.I have seen many booby traps,both in combat situations and in training andf I feel you are an idiot for suggestions like this,you want to see someone get killed,and if you deny it you are a liar.From what you are telling these people to do will lead to a bad result and you know this so you sir are as much to blame for what happens as the people who are trying to recover history
If it aint yours ; KEEP YOUR ARSE OFF IT WITHOUT PERMISSION !
"RECOVERING HISTORY ???? Stealing from those who have permission to hunt and 'recover history' in my humble opinion .
Where I live we are pretty liberal in granting permission of access . Pretty darn redneck when it comes to trespassing .

S

stefen

truckinbutch said:
mrmagoo560 said:
ivan salis said:

If it aint yours ; KEEP YOUR ARSE OFF IT WITHOUT PERMISSION !
"RECOVERING HISTORY ???? Stealing from those who have permission to hunt and 'recover history' in my humble opinion .
Where I live we are pretty liberal in granting permission of access . Pretty darn redneck when it comes to trespassing .

Hey Truck...

Got the feeling you're just getting warmed up...

Tell everyone how you really feel... :laughing7:

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
Large rat traps can be made into great noise making or signaling devices by drilling a hole in the snap area to fit a shotgun shell (blanks preferred), and then bending the stricker wire to strike the primer or pin. the dangerous end of the shotgun shell faces into the ground so you have to dig a space for it so that it lays flat. These can be set as is or with trip wires to set them off. It will certainly let you know when they are in the area if you are within earshot, or it may just scare them enough so they do not return !!!.

cassrh

Greenie
Jan 8, 2010
I stopped a poacher one time with a good amount of spray foam insulation in the tail pipe of his truck. All you have to do is be there when they are. Otherwise a game camera is about all you can do. I agree harming them is off the table.

OP
OP
ynpto804

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well thanks for all the replies. I think I will talk to my hunting partner about the game camera and not so much about the "booty traps". I think the only problem we will have is that they have to be walking in because his property is locked in. So we might have to talk to the neighbors about keeping a look out.

worldtalker- I hunt here once or twice every two weeks.

truckinbutch- I don't know what the redneck comment about trespassing is about but round here we protect good places to hunt.

How high off the ground will one of those game cameras be set off from someone walking? Any ideas?

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A buddy had set one up, bout 12-15' high... Just shim it to the right angle you need.... Maybe post signs sayin, Smile You are on Camera.... You could use yer Imagination to doctor it....

There's more then 1 way to skin a cat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread