HOME DEPOT VS SEARS

S

stefen

Recently, we began to research new dishwashers and washer & dryers at the local big box store vs Sears and other Appliance Stores.

Home Depot will deliver within 24 hours and the prices are reasonable...

The rub comes when they want upwards to $100 to install each appliance + the cost of hoses and electrical cords...

For instance, how long does it take to connect a electrical cord, hot, cold and overflow hoses to a washer...10, maybe 15 minutes...

How long does it take to connect an electrical cord and vent tube to a dryer...another 10 or 15 minutes...

And how long does it take to connect an electrical cord and overflow hose (already in place) to a dish washer and slide it in place, and insert 2 wood screws to stabilize...another 10 or 15 minutes...

The rip is $300 for maybe a total of 45 minutes...

Sears is half the price...

And Appliance stores are free (well, almost)...

I know one thing...Appliance stores don't compete unfairly with red apron ed lumber outlets :laughing7:

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I thought...loading the dishwasher.....meant.....Gittin the wife Drunk! :laughing7:

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
poorhunter78 said:
And I thought...loading the dishwasher.....meant.....Gittin the wife Drunk! :laughing7:
HaHaHaHaHaha Thaaaaat's gooood. I like that one.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wherever you buy, get a Kenmore/Whirlpool.

They are solid machines and more importantly, the spare parts for repairs are cheap. Most washers/dryers made by foreign companies have EXTREMELY expensive spare parts.

On a sadder note, I was reading recently of the list of the 10-12 businesses that most business analysts expect to disappear in 2012 (bye-bye Blockbuster). Their list for 2011 was almost spot-on perfect.

Sadly, Sears made their list of businesses that they expect to close in 2012, if not sooner.

Don't know if Home Depot carries Kenmore/Whirlpool, but if you want a service agreement, you may want to look there.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowes has free delivery and set up.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
300 bux does seem high for hookin them up Unless they have to carry them up 3-4 flights of steps....

Are all your hookups already in place?

OP
OP
S

stefen

lookindown said:
[/quote

Lowes charges for setup same as Home Depot, at least in our area...

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
lookindown said:

I'd never have anyone hook up my stuff if it cost $100 per appliance - I did that for a living as a youth, TVs, dishwashers, large heavy fridges- and I agree with someone here about buying kenmore/wirlpool - the mom and pop shop I worked for sold a ton of them and sold service and parts at good rates (the reason they are still in business! :wink:)

anyhow - yeah I work for Lowes. They have some perks. if you have a few mins do this - go to the local post office and get a moving/forwarding mail bookets. in the book find the lowes coupons for 10% off. use these if your serious about buying @ Lowes... I'd offer my employee discount, but it's also 10% and it could get me fired...so this is good right? 8)

and even if they offered the delivery service up 4 flights of steps $100 is too much, but I also recall once having a guy say we'd have to host a dual door fridge up to the third floor since his steps where a spiral staircase. sadly we declined to deliver to him, since no one wanted to be responsible for damaging/dropping a new fridge- and we had no rope even if we wanted to give it a try! :)

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bought mine at local Sears store and got discount to boot. Loaded it in pickup and put it in myself. Dang, it ain't that hard to do!

Most appliances are going to be from China and you will probably want some sort of extended warranty. Use to, you could count on
dishwasher lasting 10 years....no more.....3 to 4 at best.....what goes out on dishwasher? .....Timer.....float....

If you are handy, you could replace these to parts pretty easy yourself.

If you are selling your home, realtor will ask you to furnish home warranty to new buyer. Of course while house is listed and NOT yet sold, home warranty will cover appliances, etc. Got my wife's old house Dishwasher replaced under home warranty w/ $50 deductable and I put it in myself.

Of course, the "Old Fashion" way.........by hand....never needs repairing :laughing9:

OP
OP
S

stefen

In most cases, the delivery is free...its the hookup that is a ballbuster...

I can do it myself, but if the cost is nominal, I'd have HD do it...

Wonder how many older people that don't have the tools or ability pay thru the nose for the over blown service

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowes in Florida took the doors off my fridge to get it in the house. They hooked everything up, no charge. Same thing with a washing machine.Different states must have different polices.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes Lowe's. If you find the same model cheaper somewhere else Lowe's has to match that price PLUS take another 10% off.

Killer Angel

Jan 17, 2011
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Excal, Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When our Sub Zero refridge bit the dust last year, after 20 years, we shopped for a replacement. Lowes came out on top with the best total package. Part of that deal was for removal of the massive old Sub Zero. Delivery day comes and the guys are getting the new fridge off the truck, the head guy comes in the house takes one look at the beast and says no way. Tells us we have to call a private contractor to rip this thing out. I'm thinking, before i get my Saws-All out of the garage i'll give the store manager a call. Upshot, they told the guy to leave and they would send another crew the next day. We agreed but only after they knocked off another few bucks for our inconvenience.

The whole business is a rackett.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
poorhunter78 said:

Some one asked my mother if she had a dishwasher and my dad chimes in " Right here". ;D

That hook up charge seems a bit outrageous to me.

Hooking up a washer is easy. The dishwasher should be no problem either. If you can't do it, one of your neighbors can help you. I sure would not pay to have it hooked up.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should have them Hook It up Stefen

Attachments

• Crack kills.jpg
    Crack kills.jpg