Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    us
    Sep 2007
    Ring Of Fire
    3 times
    Metal Detecting

Re: Pennies...seriously, they're stressing me out

Honestly, a pennie isn't worth crap anymore. I've tossed them away more than once. I've seen them lying about everywhere. No one will ever bend over and pick one up. When you dig one that has been in the ground a short time and it's corroded away then you know it is made out of %$#@. Kids have more than enough money nowadays, and besides, What can you buy for a penny?

us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1654 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I have a bad back. Bending over and walking are the two exercises associated with detecting. Detecting is the reason I am not yet in a rocking chair! If I'm going to take the time to walk and bend... damn it, I'm keeping those pennies! The reason you are finding the pennies and not the dimes and quarters is because others have passed on the pennies. TTC
    ONE MIND - ANY WEAPON

us
    Jul 2010
    Central Florida
    A Propointer tied to a stick
    25 times
    Metal Detecting

Finds are getting harder to come by and pennies are the majority of what I dig up anymore. I guess thats the coin that people are least likely to retrieve if they see it drop.

Now I just wish they'd do away with the dollar bill and go with dollar coins exclusively.

That would be a nice change.

us
    Mar 2010
    Florida
    ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
    2640 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Yeah.......dollar coins!!

us
    Mar 2009
    Tuscarawas County, Ohio
    Tesoro Tejon
    42 times
    Relic Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Left4Dead
    My best find so far , in about a month and a half was a 1887 IH , it rang as a zinc, if I was not digging zinc's I would have missed it.. that same year doc holiday died!!

That's cool.
    All the indian's I have dug signaled lowered than penny. More around tab. Old tombac buttons hit around the foil area. Not much higher. That's why if you're in a historical area it pays to dig everything. Even the iron will have a story to tell.

-Swartzie
    Keep calm and dig on

us
    Ride Nude Ride Free!

Oct 2009
    Yerington, Nevada
    Bounty Gold Digger, Fisher Gold Bug.
    4 times

The old saying is, "See a penny and pick it up, and all day you'll have good luck." That's only if it is heads up. On the other hand, I have 99 pennies at home and pick up a penny, then I have a dollar. Dollars add up, and could lead into another toy. If you pick up one dime and ten pennies, how much do you have?
    A penny saved is a penny earned.
    Thanks for listening
    Nevada Coyote
    Where ever your at, that's where you'll be.

us
    Mar 2009
    3 times

Pennies are a good indicator of how much the area has been hunted. As a rule, if there has been little or no metal detecting activity there should be a distribution of all coin denominations. Nothing but pennies is a sure indicator of other people detecting there and passing them by. I admit that I am digging fewer pennies as I get older because there is a limit to how many times I can get up and down in a day.

Jerry

us
    Mar 2007
    Massachusetts
    White's Prizm II

I have to say, you have all given me various outlooks to consider, and I thank you. As a result, I think I'll make an effort to change my views on the penny phenomenon, and look at it as gen-u-ine US currency that can only add up...and is always a much better option than can slaw...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors