Skillets

Mar 6, 2007
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pennies...seriously, they're stressing me out

Hi everyone...just a small vent here...it seems that no matter where I go hunting, which is always in old and historical wooded areas, ALL I seem to dig are modern Lincoln pennies. Not dimes, not nickels, not quarters...always pennies. I've started to think that we could all go to the furthest reaches of the remotest jungle on Earth, and all we'd come back with are pockets full of Lincolns. And since I'm finding so many pennies, these are areas that obviously have not been previously 'hit', or at least not very well.

It's a phenomena that truly boggles my mind...nobody seems to drop anything else...does anyone else feel like a penny magnet?

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Pennies...seriously, they're stressing me out

well we get more pennies than other coins... but that not the only coins we get... pennies usually out number the other coin finds... there are just more pennies than other coins... people usually just toss pennies... most people just don't want them!

Chukers

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

After my first month detecting, I came to the conclusion that there is nowhere that doesnt have a penny in the dirt. The total amount of pennies in the ground must be in the trillions. I would leave them there, but sometimes they are silver rings. :tongue3:

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I heard a saying once about the English Navy and merchant fleet in the 1800's "There's not a mud puddle in the world without an Englishman floating on it"

Well, there's not a patch of ground in America without a Lincoln penny buried in it

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"A pennie for your thoughts"..............now you know where that one came from. :laughing7: j/k

Yep, pennies are everywhere. But there have also been a few times when I would have loved to have found a pennie. :laughing7:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Did you know there is MORE money lost than there is in circulation today!!

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark

Finding all pennies in a day can be annoying. I actually like finding pennies. It beats finding hair pins and pull tabs.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Skillets said:
Hi everyone...just a small vent here...it seems that no matter where I go hunting, which is always in old and historical wooded areas, ALL I seem to dig are modern Lincoln pennies. Not dimes, not nickels, not quarters...always pennies. I've started to think that we could all go to the furthest reaches of the remotest jungle on Earth, and all we'd come back with are pockets full of Lincolns. And since I'm finding so many pennies, these are areas that obviously have not been previously 'hit', or at least not very well.

It's a phenomena that truly boggles my mind...nobody seems to drop anything else...does anyone else feel like a penny magnet?

LOL! :laughing7: This is how I feel about Bobbypins at the beach!!! :BangHead: Tell ya what, I'll trade my Bobbypins for your Zincolns! :thumbsup: :icon_pirat:

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other

Nothings worse than zinc pennies, I skip them whenever I think that's what it is. 8)

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Yall just remember,amongst those pennies are,GOLD & SILVER!

Left4Dead

Greenie
Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Ace 250

My best find so far , in about a month and a half was a 1887 IH , it rang as a zinc, if I was not digging zinc's I would have missed it.. that same year doc holiday died!!

That's cool.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

On several occasions I've dug two pennies with chewing gum stuck between them. Some people find them so worthless that they use them as a means so they can dispose their bubble gum.. :icon_scratch:

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Honestly, a pennie isn't worth crap anymore. I've tossed them away more than once. I've seen them lying about everywhere. No one will ever bend over and pick one up. When you dig one that has been in the ground a short time and it's corroded away then you know it is made out of %$#@. Kids have more than enough money nowadays, and besides, What can you buy for a penny?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have a bad back. Bending over and walking are the two exercises associated with detecting. Detecting is the reason I am not yet in a rocking chair! If I'm going to take the time to walk and bend... damn it, I'm keeping those pennies! The reason you are finding the pennies and not the dimes and quarters is because others have passed on the pennies. TTC

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Finds are getting harder to come by and pennies are the majority of what I dig up anymore. I guess thats the coin that people are least likely to retrieve if they see it drop.

Now I just wish they'd do away with the dollar bill and go with dollar coins exclusively.

That would be a nice change.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah.......dollar coins!! :headbang:

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Left4Dead said:
My best find so far , in about a month and a half was a 1887 IH , it rang as a zinc, if I was not digging zinc's I would have missed it.. that same year doc holiday died!!

That's cool.

All the indian's I have dug signaled lowered than penny. More around tab. Old tombac buttons hit around the foil area. Not much higher. That's why if you're in a historical area it pays to dig everything. Even the iron will have a story to tell.

-Swartzie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread