Sanborn Fire Insurance maps (digitial collection)

xmarks73

Jan 1, 2011
S.E Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Ace 250, and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Double J said:
I saw a message on here awhile back about the Sanborn maps. I know they were bought by some outfit that sells the link and all. Someone posted the username and password and I wrote it down. The username was proquest and the password was welcome. That doen't work anymore. Does anyone have the new user/pass????
Sanborn keeps shutting the password down. Its been changed many times. I think the free password may be gone forever.

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How much does it cost for that password?

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
If you have a library close by go and get a card then see if they have internet access you can access their website from home via the library site and you use your card number from the library for your access to sanborn.

xmarks73

Jan 1, 2011
S.E Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Ace 250, and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank1960 said:
If you have a library close by go and get a card then see if they have internet access you can access their website from home via the library site and you use your card number from the library for your access to sanborn.
Good to know. Thanks Frank! :icon_thumright:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Double J said:
I saw a message on here awhile back about the Sanborn maps. I know they were bought by some outfit that sells the link and all. Someone posted the username and password and I wrote it down. The username was proquest and the password was welcome. That doen't work anymore. Does anyone have the new user/pass????

Don't know if it will help, but if you are referencing for local areas, try your library. The Denver Library has the Sanborn Maps for Colorado, New Mexico, and Wyoming.
Carl

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some College and University collections have Sanborn maps. Also if you know any surveyors or people that do environmental studies they may have access.

Good luck

NJ

BRQuick

Oct 11, 2010
I've been looking for the Sanborn maps for SC and finally found them on the University of South Carolina website. BUT...you can't save them! And the interface to look at them is very clunky. So disappointing. :(

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BRQuick said:
I've been looking for the Sanborn maps for SC and finally found them on the University of South Carolina website. BUT...you can't save them! And the interface to look at them is very clunky. So disappointing. :(

Unfortunately, that is typical for a lot of the University collections. You could actually go to U of SC and view the maps in the collection. Bring a digital camera. Call the school first to make sure they will allow this but most schools will. There was an old atlas I want a copy of and it sells for around $500 so I just went with a camera and now I have all the maps I wanted. Not perfect but it works for what I wanted.

Good luck

NJ

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have accessed some through the Library of Congress site, but you have to look for them. Frank

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neat! Thanks for the suggestion, Frankn. Going there now. TTC

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For Florida maps you can try the UF digital library.

http://ufdc.ufl.edu/sanborn?n=palmm

I bet most states have a public university with internet access to Sanborn state maps. As to downloading them, if you cannot do that, you can still take a screenshot. If screenshots are not available to you through your Windows OS, then you can download the Gadwin screensaver.

Even more convenient to store and access saved maps (or any website page), if you use Firefox, is the Scrapbook extension.

To scout out old sites that still exist in more or less their original configurations try your local property appraiser website. Become familiar with the appearance of buildings from different decades, use Google street view to find likely old buildings, then look up the build date on the county property website. I especially look for old buildings that have unpaved swale parking (my best secret advice). The age of buildings on public parks provides a clue to their minimum age, as well as show parts of the park that have been chopped away for local govt structures or public service organizations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions