e-trec vs eureka?

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
In the right "experienced" hands...yes! :icon_thumright:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Two entirely different machines there Josh. The Eureka GOLD is designed to hunt Raw native gold where the Etrac will rarely ever pick it up. The Eureka is a Gold Nugget hunting machine. I have Field tested the Eureka with the Coiltek WOT coil in the Colorado Rockies with great success for gold, but as a relic machine, I can't vouch for. The Etrac simply blows it away in the Relic hunting theater . The Minelab Etrac has outstanding discrimination abilities, and delivers superior depth for finding Gold Jewelry, copper, and especially Silver while remaing stable in high trash sites. The Eureka will also detect these metals, but can be frustrating around high EMF or high mineralized soil. You have constantly ground balance the Eureka to keep it stable. For the life of me, I cannot understand why the Eureka isn't being used in N Va. around the CW camps where most iron has already been removed. I may take mine there just to try it out. They are Both are great machines, and for the money, the Eureka is a heck of a great value @ 998.00 Like I said, I have used both, and I prefer the Ertrac as my "go to" machine. Primarily because my passion lies searching for Colonial and Revolutionary War relics usually in high trash areas. I can safely say I have over 5,000 hours on the Etrac now, and I recommend the Etrac over the Eureka simply because of my personal preferences of searching. The Etrac accompanied with the 12' Coiltek Submersible Platypus is proving to be very successful for me in the relic hunting theater. I have tried every manufactures aftermarket coils for the etrac after a 2 year long diligent field test, I tested the snipers, all the way up to the very large search coils. The Coiltek 12' Platypus, and The 10x5 Coiltek Joey sniper coil beat ALL the competitors coils hands down. I think you will be pleased with either the Explorer or the Etrac. I hope this helps.

Mike

OP
OP
J

joshuall

Tenderfoot
Jun 21, 2009
Woodland Detectors said:
Two entirely different machines there Josh. The Eureka GOLD is designed to hunt Raw native gold where the Etrac will rarely ever pick it up. The Eureka is a Gold Nugget hunting machine. I have Field tested the Eureka with the Coiltek WOT coil in the Colorado Rockies with great success for gold, but as a relic machine, I can't vouch for. The Etrac simply blows it away in the Relic hunting theater . The Minelab Etrac has outstanding discrimination abilities, and delivers superior depth for finding Gold Jewelry, copper, and especially Silver while remaing stable in high trash sites. The Eureka will also detect these metals, but can be frustrating around high EMF or high mineralized soil. You have constantly ground balance the Eureka to keep it stable. For the life of me, I cannot understand why the Eureka isn't being used in N Va. around the CW camps where most iron has already been removed. I may take mine there just to try it out. They are Both are great machines, and for the money, the Eureka is a heck of a great value @ 998.00 Like I said, I have used both, and I prefer the Ertrac as my "go to" machine. Primarily because my passion lies searching for Colonial and Revolutionary War relics usually in high trash areas. I can safely say I have over 5,000 hours on the Etrac now, and I recommend the Etrac over the Eureka simply because of my personal preferences of searching. The Etrac accompanied with the 12' Coiltek Submersible Platypus is proving to be very successful for me in the relic hunting theater. I have tried every manufactures aftermarket coils for the etrac after a 2 year long diligent field test, I tested the snipers, all the way up to the very large search coils. The Coiltek 12' Platypus, and The 10x5 Coiltek Joey sniper coil beat ALL the competitors coils hands down. I think you will be pleased with either the Explorer or the Etrac. I hope this helps.

Mike
so the e-trec wont hit Raw native gold ?is there a eureka type detector that does as well on Raw native gold and still be an all-purpose detector?

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm hearing really good feedback on the Minelab Xterra 705, but to find the more realistic sized small nuggets in this world, you need a very sensitive gold machine, and they are pricey. I was field testing my Minelab GPX5000 ($5,595.00) when it was first introduced. I used several different coils and settings to see what it could do. Minelab claims it is a coin and relic machine with a coin and relic setting. I used it in several different situations from the gold fields to the trashy RW/ Colonial home sites along the East coast. It is without a doubt the World finest Gold detector, but fell way short for me to label it a true coin and relic machine. The GPX was outstanding in Northern Virginia on the Civil War camps in Culpeppers hot red soil. It was finding targets just outside the reach of the other machines capabilities. If the camps were littered with iron it would have been an entirely different situation, but because these sites have been pounded through the years, and relieved of a lot of the trash, it made it easy pickins for the 150 plus Minne balls and buttons I dug that week. If ones interest's lies solely on Civil War Relic hunting in these areas that have been pounded in the past, then you just need to have one. But with the price tag of close to 6,000.00, you ought be a gold prospector too, to get the full use of the machine. I think you should research Minelabs Xterra 705 below 1,000.00. I have seen people find good sized nuggets and various relics using it recently. The machine is relatively new (less than a year old) COILlTEK Manufacturing are making really impressive aftermarket coils for this unit. Let me know if you need one or I can answer any of your questions.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread