Quinc

Jul 18, 2011

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quinc said:
Been researching for a few weeks now and decided to go with Sennheiser RS160's. They are onsale half off at amazon right now, customer service is amazing (emailed a bunch of questons before buying them) and they use Kleer; http://www.smsc.com/media/Downloads/White_Papers/Kleer_vs_BlueTooth.pdf

I will post a review once I get them.

Several members have done some reviews on the wireless headphones and some reported a delay, even a 1 sec delay would really screw with me....

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried some from Harbor Freight that I picked up for 9.99 and they were completely worthless. The biggest problem that I see is that wireless headphones really aren't made to broadcast a mostly quiet sound. In other words, 90% of the time for most detectorists, there is nothing to hear because most of us use our detectors in a silent discrimination mode. It is only when a target is found that there is any audio at all. Of course, if you are runnning in a non-silent all metal mode then your results would be different. But for me the issue was that the HF headphones would shut off automatically after 60 seconds if there was no audio going through them which just happened to be most of the time. And even when they stayed on the "quiet" moments really weren't quiet. They were filled with static.

In order for wireless headphones to work they need to be made to handle our type of audio signals which is NOT the same as your typical stereo music signal.

OP
OP
Q

Quinc

Jul 18, 2011
mts said:
I tried some from Harbor Freight that I picked up for 9.99 and they were completely worthless. The biggest problem that I see is that wireless headphones really aren't made to broadcast a mostly quiet sound. In other words, 90% of the time for most detectorists, there is nothing to hear because most of us use our detectors in a silent discrimination mode. It is only when a target is found that there is any audio at all. Of course, if you are runnning in a non-silent all metal mode then your results would be different. But for me the issue was that the HF headphones would shut off automatically after 60 seconds if there was no audio going through them which just happened to be most of the time. And even when they stayed on the "quiet" moments really weren't quiet. They were filled with static.

In order for wireless headphones to work they need to be made to handle our type of audio signals which is NOT the same as your typical stereo music signal.

You make some good points. I will be using them with the whites TDI. I keep it with a faint threshold humm so hopefully it won’t shutdown on its own. These ones are pretty fancy compared to the cheapie Harbor fak.. err Freight, so I'm really hoping they work out. If not Amazon has a 30 day return policy. :)

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Quinc said:
Been researching for a few weeks now and decided to go with Sennheiser RS160's. They are onsale half off at amazon right now, customer service is amazing (emailed a bunch of questons before buying them) and they use Kleer; http://www.smsc.com/media/Downloads/White_Papers/Kleer_vs_BlueTooth.pdf

I will post a review once I get them.

Several members have done some reviews on the wireless headphones and some reported a delay, even a 1 sec delay would really screw with me....hip built into the detector
You could be right, I have long suspected that there is a delay in my XP cordless headphones. And they are not Bluetooth, but have a special chip that is built into the detector.

SS

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got called all the names under the sun for suggesting there was a slight delay with the XP's. I did the check with a Mewnorton test peg so I knew where the "target" was in respect to the coil.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U.K. Brian said:
I got called all the names under the sun for suggesting there was a slight delay with the XP's. I did the check with a Mewnorton test peg so I knew where the "target" was in respect to the coil.
I have totally lost targets after digging them out, when it happens I walk away abit, then come back, usually finding the target straight away...after seeing your reply, I'm even more concerned now :-\

SS

OP
OP
Q

Quinc

Jul 18, 2011
Bought the Sennheiser RS160.

I have had the chance to play around with these for about 15 minutes, and so far I really like them. They have a tight seal around the ears and block out a good amount of outside noise. They are LOUD! A hell of alot louder then the headphones I was using before. I also haven't been able to notice any delay with them. Once I get some more time out in the field I will post another update.

OP
OP
Q

Quinc

Jul 18, 2011
Update! The headphones work great for detecting, very light weight, and LOUD! My dad even found his first nugget wearing them this last weekend. I will try and get some pictures of how we have it setup/attached to the detector.

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quinc: We will be looking foreward to a thorough review. I have been interested in wireless phones since the 80's.
I would buy a pair if I could try them out myself first. That coiled headphone wire sure gets in my way.

OP
OP
Q

Quinc

Jul 18, 2011
kenley said:
Quinc: We will be looking foreward to a thorough review. I have been interested in wireless phones since the 80's.
I would buy a pair if I could try them out myself first. That coiled headphone wire sure gets in my way.

I'm heading back out this weekend and want to get some time with them in the wind and by the creek/river. But so far I think you would be very impressed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread