Pro Pointer Problems.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Out of the blue my ProPointer has begun acting up. It works fine if I hold a coin up to it but when I'm out detecting it sounds off on normal sand in every hole making it totally useless. This isn't a new area either, I've done it a thousand times so I know it's not something in the soil. Any ideas?

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Try to put the tip of the pointer on the dirt and then turn it on. This will detune it to the dirt so it won't go off on it. Mine will do that sometimes. It will chirp and chatter just by putting it in the hole. Don't know if it's minerals in the soil or what. If your's is sounding off like there is a full blown target nearby then I don't know what is causing that.

Swartzie

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Probably needs a new battery. :wink:

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dano Sverige said:

I agree. The ProPointer doesn't like a weak battery.
Also, don't buy the dollar store special, spend the extra and get a Energizer or Duracell. (Speaking from first hand knowledge.)

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dwight S said:
Dano Sverige said:

I agree. The ProPointer doesn't like a weak battery.
Also, don't buy the dollar store special, spend the extra and get a Energizer or Duracell. (Speaking from first hand knowledge.)

Mine started doing that last week. . . I replaced the battery and then it worked fine.

Jun 10, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari. Garrett 350
My Garrett PP is doing the same thing even with a new battery. When I put it in the hole it chirps everywhere. It chirps anywhere on the ground and sometimes holding in the air it will chirp. Its going back to Garrett on Monday.

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Georges Minelab Safari said:
My Garrett PP is doing the same thing even with a new battery. When I put it in the hole it chirps everywhere. It chirps anywhere on the ground and sometimes holding in the air it will chirp. Its going back to Garrett on Monday.

Exactly the same thing mine is doing.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
There are two possibilities.
- moisture has gotten inside thru the speaker hole
-The sensitivy adj. pot inside it has aged or corroded.
This pointer is extremely hard to disassemble without breaking the switch so send it back to Garrett for repairs.
Go to Harbor Freight and get one of there $16 pinpointers for backup.
Frank

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
If it's not the battery then it's a "back to Garrett" job. I've suffered both. A low battery will give chirping and will decline into a two tone constant sound like a reversing truck or gantry crane.
They just sent me a brand new one.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
There are two possibilities.
- moisture has gotten inside thru the speaker hole
-The sensitivy adj. pot inside it has aged or corroded.
This pointer is extremely hard to disassemble without breaking the switch so send it back to Garrett for repairs.
Go to Harbor Freight and get one of there $16 pinpointers for backup.
Frank

Sorry but that Harbor Freight pinpointer is garbage. I've used 3-4 different cheapies and they're all frustrating. The only one that ever worked for me was the Little Wizard II. Look it up, you'll probably wonder how the heck I used it but I did :icon_pirat:

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
My Pro pointer and got worse and wore till it was useless.
In was out of warranty , one of the first ones out.
Garrett said it was a bad circuit board.
No charge for part just labor and shipping ,around 21.00

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Wit, been using the Harbor Freight pinpointer for over a year with no problems. I paid $16 for it.
It has the same pickup power as the Pro pointer and you can mod it yourself. I installed a bright blue LED that lights when it finds the target. My XLT pinpoints to within app. 1 " and the HF picks up the slack. If I wanted to pay big bucks, I would get the Vibra Probe which is 100 Times better. It even turns itself on and off automaticly. Frank

ScrugneysGunDogs

Apr 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just had the same problem, after months of flawless use. I sent it back to Garrett yesterday, under warranty.

Now, let me tell you how good the Pro-Pointer is when it's working right. I've got a Harbor Freight pinpointer, a White's Bullseye, and a White's Bullseye II - none of them compares to the Garrett! Since my Pro-Pointer went on the blink, I've spent more time poking around in a hole trying to find the target. The Pro-Pointer cuts recovery time in half.

P.S. out of the three other pinpointers, I like the Harbor Freight one best.

ScrugneysGunDogs

Apr 1, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ScrugneysGunDogs said:
I just had the same problem, after months of flawless use. I sent it back to Garrett yesterday, under warranty.

Just to follow up, I got my pin pointer back from Garrett yesterday. They sent me a brand new one! :)

adalabama

Jun 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Harbor Freight one. It is fabulous. The one thing about it is that it will overheat. After about an hour or use it will just beep. I have to cool it down and then it will work again.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Out of the blue my ProPointer has begun acting up. It works fine if I hold a coin up to it but when I'm out detecting it sounds off on normal sand in every hole making it totally useless. This isn't a new area either, I've done it a thousand times so I know it's not something in the soil. Any ideas?

Send it back to Garrett and they will through it in the dumpster with the rest and give you a new one. It probably only cost them about $10 bucks at most to make them. They are probably as cheaply made as the HF, but you got the big "G" on it and a case with a neat shape. Frank...

111-2 700.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used

Now, let me tell you how good the Pro-Pointer is when it's working right. I've got a Harbor Freight pinpointer, a White's Bullseye, and a White's Bullseye II - none of them compares to the Garrett! Since my Pro-Pointer went on the blink, I've spent more time poking around in a hole trying to find the target. The Pro-Pointer cuts recovery time in half.

P.S. out of the three other pinpointers, I like the Harbor Freight one best.[/QUOT]

Excuse me, but which one broke? lol Frank... 111-2 700.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I have the Harbor Freight one. It is fabulous. The one thing about it is that it will overheat. After about an hour or use it will just beep. I have to cool it down and then it will work again.
The HF has a momentary switch. It doesn't stay on. How can it overheat? Frank... 111-1 profilecracked.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions