What would you get if you couldnt yet afford another AT Pro?

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Re: What would you get if you couldn't yet afford another AT Pro?

I wouldn't have gotten the first one! :tongue3:

Seriously though...why buy another that you already have? Better to get him one that he may, or may not..find targets you miss with and vice versa. Especially if hunting together a lot. :dontknow:

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Whites M6

zincmaster

Mar 8, 2011
col. ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter quick draw 2 and at pro

at pro is a great machine, after all the bugs are worked out. but a bounty hunter quikdraw II is a good one for beginners, and i have found alot of wheats with bhqdII you can find them at a reasonable price.

hh zinc

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

In that price range?? No.... ATP is way under valued.

xmarks73

Jan 1, 2011
S.E Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Ace 250, and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tesoro Tigershark. seriously considering it, now that my atp is back at garrett a 2nd time.

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I'd be thinking of a water detector of some kind also like the ATP- but with the issues that keep being reported on that one I've shied away from looking at it closer.... Garett detectors aren't junk in my book, but when you hear more then a few horror stories about the ATP maybe the older models should be avoided...at this point I'd be really careful about picking up one on the used market with no warranty also..

anyone know if the Viper line of water detectors are junk?
$339.95 - it might be in your price range -looking at kellyco's site- but I'd ask Mike at woodland MD first. because he's got the best customer service around....hands down...he would probably be able to point you in the right direction. pm him

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Viper isn't junk, just not good value for money. Annoying thing about it is they used the name of the excellent Discovery "Viper" that looked like the Treasure Baron. It was well built, metal boxed and had quad-depth range adjustment 0-5" surface, 6-9 sub surface, 10-14 mid range and 15-30 deep hunter.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

MrPoptop said:
Seriously, what would you get?
I am Half way to enough clad for another ATP for my son.
Is there something worth stopping off on the way to another?
We hunt public land, parks easments etc...

A clue! :tongue3: :laughing7: Tesoro Compadre :headbang:

pastorals

Jul 12, 2011
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What he said ^

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree with extractor, get an inexpensive used one send it to garrett for upgrade for $40 get new 2 year warranty and like new atpro from factory for the price you would pay for a lesser detector, and you already know the machine you could jump right into teaching your boy.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yes. If it's working for you, do it again. It's not the machine but the mind that hunts. Know your machine and it will produce! TTC

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

TerryC said:
Yes. If it's working for you, do it again. It's not the machine but the mind that hunts. Know your machine and it will produce! TTC
Terry well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How old is he? An Ace 250 is very kid friendly, and cheap, especially used on ebay.

JardiniMagic

Greenie
Jan 31, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3i, Ace 250

My self I would go with the MXT or MXT-PRO. check on the reviews of the MXT and this is a time proven detector! Thanks- Gary

doglover

Aug 30, 2011

I would get an Omega 8000 Technetics. Great machine for $600. Light weight. Excellent target separation. Excellent target id and has audio id as well with 3 or 4 tones. Has 3 different frequencies to choose from. Also can be manuelly ground balanced. Good depth. I have an AT Pro and an Omega 8000. I use the AT Pro to hunt around and in lakes. I use the Omega for parks, homesites, school yards or any kind of dry land hunting. I like the tones on the Omega better than the AT Pro because they're sharper and crisper however both are great machines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread