Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Georges Minelab Safari said:
What do you think it cost for a Company like Minelab, Garrett or other companies to make a metal detector.
What do ya mean ? The cost of R an D then manufacturing it into productoin.
Or the cost of making one from parts and marketing it to the consumer.

S

stefen

Since no two manufactured products are the same, nor the assembly process, or the research or the personal money put at risk, the actual cost is irrelevant...

The manufacturers, however, have selected to place various models at given sales levels to maintain competitive marketing...it's therefore irrelevant if the manufacturing cost is 10 cents a unit but is set to sell in the $250 to $300 range...

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know how true this is but I was told by someone I find reliable that one of the very top of the line detectors costs it's company $19 in parts and components. The technology, research and development is incalculable.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
The cost per unit materials is probably very low but then when everything else is figured in they're lucky to make a profit.

A search coil for a top detector could cost (in materials) under $10 to make. Now figure in the many thousands for machines to make and assemble all the parts and the cost rises significantly. Then add in labor, etc., etc., and the pain in the butt via the IRS and you see why the cost. And too one needs a smart design in the first place.

I used to gripe about detector cost until one day in Jay's Sporting Goods my son showed me a middle range common bow that cost over $1,000 (and this was just the stripped down bow!).

If detector making were FREE money they'd be a brand for every dollar of our National Debt. In my 40+ years in the hobby I've seen plenty of brands go out of business.

S

stefen

As with any business, the owner must put his personal money at risk.

It is not important what the MD unit costs to manufacturer, the price is a compilation of a plethora of other costs.

The sell price is not simply an anal-pick.

As an example, I have a design service business and my average personnel billing rate is now 4.45 times the average hourly salary...This includes a 5.00% profit margin...

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
honestly what does it matter? - we are living in the end times buddy, you might as well just live it up a while and enjoy what freedoms you have until there gone, or things get so bad you can't do it anymore.

:o :laughing9: I decided that I enjoy detecting...I started with low end junk, upgraded to a good middle of the road detector used it a few months and decided to buy a minelab. not because I could afford it, or because I thought I 'might' make my money back on digging gold or silver- the real reason is I've never had the cash for a new car, truck or bike- and I decided that if I could finally get one a good price new I should just do it. Mike (4H) from woodland detectors hooked me up with a better price then any place I could find...

- I indulged because you know what?!?! life is too short not to!!!- I spent cash on it, I didn't go in debt and I was hurting for a month over buying it- but I don't regret it for a minute-mainly because it's something I enjoy doing. :icon_thumright:

I'm sure the company that makes minelab makes a profit - if they didn't make a few bucks on everything they sold they go under...alot like our government... :P

S

stefen

mfitzy111 said:
honestly what does it matter? - we are living in the end times buddy, you might as well just live it up a while and enjoy what freedoms you have until there gone, or things get so bad you can't do it anymore.

:o :laughing9: I decided that I enjoy detecting...I started with low end junk, upgraded to a good middle of the road detector used it a few months and decided to buy a minelab. not because I could afford it, or because I thought I 'might' make my money back on digging gold or silver- the real reason is I've never had the cash for a new car, truck or bike- and I decided that if I could finally get one a good price new I should just do it. Mike (4H) from woodland detectors hooked me up with a better price then any place I could find...

- I indulged because you know what?!?! life is too short not to!!!- I spent cash on it, I didn't go in debt and I was hurting for a month over buying it- but I don't regret it for a minute-mainly because it's something I enjoy doing. :icon_thumright:

I'm sure the company that makes minelab makes a profit - if they didn't make a few bucks on everything they sold they go under...alot like our government... :P

Any businessman that demonstrates a sustainable entrepreneurial endeavor should become the posterboy for what a political leader and government should emulate.

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont know about metal detector profit margins..... but I work in a small retail business and basically it works like this...

a manufacturer produces at 1/2x and sells at 1x. The retailer charges 2x-2.5x. Unless you are in the Jewelry trade where the retailer charges 12-14x

SO... lets say $600 is the sales price..... at 2x.... then 1x is $300... then 1/2x is $150.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread