ALMOST READY TO GO, A FEW QUESTIONS...

claydog65

Feb 16, 2008
Hello friends, my family and I have decided on our dream vacation. We leave in seven days! We are planning on flying from NC to Denver, CO. and arrive around 6pm the first night. We rent an RV the next morning and start driving west towards Arches National Park in Utah. We then will travel to Bryce Canyon, then Jacob Lake at Grand Canyon, AZ. We will then travel to Monument Valley, Utah and on to Four Corners, New Mexico. Mesa Verde is next, then Durango, then La Platta, and Silverton (somewhere try to ride the Durango/Silverton railroad). We will finally go towards Buena Vista and then back up to Denver and home to NC. We plan on the RV portion taking 7days, and six nights.
My boys want to rent four wheelers, my wife wants to ride horses, I hope to gold prospect by panning (I've never found a single flake), I also will have my Ace 250 Garrett metal detector with me. I am a potter by trade and would love to collect ancient pottery sherds. I have also collected arrow heads since I was four years old, and I hope to spot a few....
CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME WITH A FEW QUESTIONS? (1)CAN I USE THE ACE 250 TO FIND GOLD? (2)CAN I COLLECT AND KEEP POTTERY SHERDS AND ARROWHEADS IF THEY ARE SURFACE FINDS? (3)SHOULD I BUY A CHEAP SLUICE ONCE WE ARE IN THE RV? (4)CAN I TAKE BAGS OF BLACK SAND BACK ONTO THE AIRPLANE TO PAN LATER AT HOME? God has greatly blessed me over this past ten years. I almost died from a four-wheeling brain injury on August 6, 2001. Fully recovered now, this vacation will culminate 10 years of recovery and walking closer to the Lord. I give all the glory and honor to my saviour Jesus Christ). THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR WONDERFUL HELP, I WILL TRY TO REPORT MY TRIP IF I MAKE ANY FINDS/PICS.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The Ace 250 is a coin/jewelry/relic machine. As such, it will not find gold in its naturally occuring state (ie.: nuggets and flakes, and grain-of-rice sized at largest). Because nearly all nuggets found in nature are pinhead type sized stuff. Pea and marble sized stuff does happen, but it's extremely rare. Thus you're not going to find nuggets with an Ace 250, as it was not designed to find teensy stuff like that (as are no coin-machines designed as such). For naturally occuring gold this small, there are specialty super sensitive metal detectors. And btw, those "specialty machines" may be terrible to try to hunt coins or relics with, as they'd just be toooo squirrely sensitive and drive you nuts. So each type hunting has its own separate set of goals. Hence, normally separate machines. Your Ace will find gold jewelry though, because those are larger targets.

Good to hear of your physical recovery, and strengthend faith! Hope you have a great time and continued growth and recovery. :hello2:

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:o

be really careful of picking up anything on gov land...I saw a story recently of a father and son given a felony record for hunting arrowheards in the upper western states- they were digging on BLM lands, just they didn't find anything soooo it's a very bad deal for them - they got in trouble for intent...

bad laws IMO.

http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v11/n477/a04.html

but you can still do a lot of fun stuff, enjoy life- and take plenty of pics (and post some here!) have a safe and fun filled trip...and best of luck finding gold out there.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
re.: mfitzy111's reply:

yes, indian stuff (as opposed to western era European introduced metal items) is an entirely different arena. Diff. laws, etc.... Strange, but no one cares less I guess, about a bullet shell, or harmonica reed, or coin, or whatever that a white man drops in 1850. But Lord help you if you pick up a crockery shard or arrow head that an indian drops in 1850? :icon_scratch:

Oh well, that's just the way it evolved. Luckily, the indians in most states did not have refined metals (with the exception of some NW states where they had some crude copper stuff, I think). Here in the west, there is nothing to find from the pre-contact era, since they had no refined metals. So these laws are nothing that md'rs run afoul of out here, thank goodness :)

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm up here about 75 miles west of Denver in Frisco, CO, so if you take I-70 west, honk real loud when you pass exit 204. I also like goin down to Moab and the 4 corners region. Mesa Verde is great. Do not plan on huntin native american artifacts, cause you can get in real trouble down there. You can wander around and spot a lot of petroglyphs and pictographs down there. Some are easy to get to and others take a little hikin. If you pan, pay attention to whether you're on an active claim; not that many, and they're usually marked. Rather than buy a bunch of stuff, there's quite a few places up here that allow you to pan for gold and you probably will find some. We use detectors on tailings piles, and it kinda gives us an idea. I detected out a gold bracelet once doin that but never a nugget or flake. I'm an expert at panning black sand without a speck of gold though. I believe you folks will have a great time lookin at your itenerary. Watch out for the traffic, and keep water on hand down in Utah. Don't forget to post us some pics, too!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
claydog65 said:
Hello friends, my family and I have decided on our dream vacation. We leave in seven days! We are planning on flying from NC to Denver, CO. and arrive around 6pm the first night. We rent an RV the next morning and start driving west towards Arches National Park in Utah. We then will travel to Bryce Canyon, then Jacob Lake at Grand Canyon, AZ. We will then travel to Monument Valley, Utah and on to Four Corners, New Mexico. Mesa Verde is next, then Durango, then La Platta, and Silverton (somewhere try to ride the Durango/Silverton railroad). We will finally go towards Buena Vista and then back up to Denver and home to NC. We plan on the RV portion taking 7days, and six nights.
My boys want to rent four wheelers, my wife wants to ride horses, I hope to gold prospect by panning (I've never found a single flake), I also will have my Ace 250 Garrett metal detector with me. I am a potter by trade and would love to collect ancient pottery sherds. I have also collected arrow heads since I was four years old, and I hope to spot a few....
CAN YOU PLEASE HELP ME WITH A FEW QUESTIONS? (1)CAN I USE THE ACE 250 TO FIND GOLD? (2)CAN I COLLECT AND KEEP POTTERY SHERDS AND ARROWHEADS IF THEY ARE SURFACE FINDS? (3)SHOULD I BUY A CHEAP SLUICE ONCE WE ARE IN THE RV? (4)CAN I TAKE BAGS OF BLACK SAND BACK ONTO THE AIRPLANE TO PAN LATER AT HOME? God has greatly blessed me over this past ten years. I almost died from a four-wheeling brain injury on August 6, 2001. Fully recovered now, this vacation will culminate 10 years of recovery and walking closer to the Lord. I give all the glory and honor to my saviour Jesus Christ). THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR WONDERFUL HELP, I WILL TRY TO REPORT MY TRIP IF I MAKE ANY FINDS/PICS.

I have been to everyone of the places you named camping.......Your going to love it, the scenery is beautiful, in many places you will expect to see indians riding over the hill top being chased by John Wayne and the calvery....

As others have said, be very careful with any artifacts on governement land, they are not very forgiving at all....Better if you just enjoy the scenery rather than walking around looking for artifacts, if you look like your looking for artifacts they will be on you. Lots of places to detect, just be sure you know where you are....If you get permission on privatge land that is different, just no digging for artifacts unless you have real deep pockets.... ;D.

Carry LOTS of water, it is hotter than 7 kinds of h3ll there this time of year....Not uncommon for Arches and the rest of Utah to get into the 104-110 range this time of year.....If you go to Bryce, be sure to go to Zion N.P. and to Capital Reef N.P. as well as Wild Horse Mesa if possible.......Cedar Breaks is also nice, it is in S.W. Utah not far from Zion.....Do not pass up Zion or Capital Reef......

Good luck and enjoy your trip.... :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread