Had a run in with park ranger today...

Jul 21, 2011
Wv 2 miles from Western,Md
Detector(s) used
Teroso Sand Shark
I was at a Maryland lake called Greenbrier Lake. Well the lifeguard comes over and says you can metal detect on the beach, I said "why" he said.. " I dont know why that's what I heard" I said show me the signs. He said let me get the park ranger. So Ranger Rick comes over tells me (I am in the sand part near the water) that I must stop immediately. I said why he said because of code xyz.. I said where is it posted? He said everywhere I said show me ONE sign. Ofcourse he couldn't.. so then I was not backing down and said then show me where its in black and white because I dont see it posted. So then he goes to his car, gets out some old azz book and then points to some code where it says no metal detecting in state parks from 9am to dusk before Labor Day. Ofcourse the sentence under it said " up to the descrision of the park ranger" :icon_scratch: After that he kept saying he wasn't going to give me a ticket. He must have said that part like five times and I just wanted to scream" I have an attorney on retainer at all times with pre paid legal so give me the dag on ticket already!!" Its like he was waiting for me to thank his sorry behind for not ticketing me!!! OK sorry to rant. Today was the day my Sand Shark arrived and I was looking forward to using it. However... with all that said I WILL be at the lake BEFORE 9am as he pointed out! I'll let you know what happens tommorow!!!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
well ...... as you say, this WAS a state park, afterall. And to be honest with you, most states have dire sounding rules about md'ing in parks (and other such "cultural heritage disturbance, blah blah blah). So if his own books say it's ok, in those state parks, so long as you do it at such & such time or year or day, BE HAPPY and go at those times. Because I'm sure there's many others on this forum, that consider their own state's parks to be off-limits 24x7 ::)

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
So, what happens after Labor Day? I would like to read the entire section. Do you happen to know what he was reading from? Some state statute?

Go before nine am if you can get in before nine and be sure to quit by the appointed hour. :D

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd rather hunt before 9 and after dusk so I don't hane to deal with All the questions from the people. I can find more stuff that way.

OP
OP
missmetaldetectingdiva
Jul 21, 2011
Wv 2 miles from Western,Md
Detector(s) used
Teroso Sand Shark
Ray S ECenFL said:
So, what happens after Labor Day? I would like to read the entire section. Do you happen to know what he was reading from? Some state statute?

Go before nine am if you can get in before nine and be sure to quit by the appointed hour. :D

No, it didn't dawn on me at the time to ask him what book he was reading from. It didnt look like a current book and I had read the Md code law BEFORE I even considered going out. After Labor day you can detect anytime you want. ;D So, tommorow morning at seven I will be at the lake.. so we shall see!!

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always try to get in the water before 7am.....Matt

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your lucky, we are not allowed to hunt in most state parks in Florida at all..........

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you worried about? Just go any time and tell the Park Ranger that it is after LAST Labor Day. Its ALWAYS AFTER LAST LABOR DAY (did it specifically say anything about AFTER THE NEW YEAR?)! LOL

Mike

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its the same in PA after labor day the beaches close to swimming. So you can do one long day and get what the 5pm-9am ers missed. I don't like regulations so much, but at least it's allowed sparingly

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what happened the next day?

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
In Maryland and Delaware you cannot hunt between 9am-5pm, Memorial day to Labor day. This is due to sunbathers complaining about metal detectors. This usually is for lifeguarded beaches though and some parks, such as Sandy Point, have limited morning hours. My brother is a DNR agent. He also gets a lot of the "show me a sign?". Honestly, he doesn't have to show you anything, it's state property and you know it. You know it is wrong to run around naked, but there is no sign. You wouldn't walk on to someones land and go hunting without permission, you know it's not your property. He has a saying, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse". DNR and DNREC have more authority than the state police. And the $20.00 ticket is not worth your attorney's time. They can also ban you from the parks. They usually don't, but they can.
I'm not being argumentative, but everyone knows you need to check local and state laws before detecting and get permission to hunt on other's property, or they will simply nip it in the bud and completely close the area's to metal detecting.
There is a very good article about this in the Western&Eastern Treasures magazine.

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
The Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR 08.07.06.18) states:

Relics, Treasures, and Metal Detectors.
A. The policy of the Service is to safeguard the archeological resources under its care. The guidelines in B and C of this regulation shall be followed.

B. Without a permit from the Office of Archeology, Maryland Historical Trust, Department of Housing and Community Development, and the Department, an individual may not dig in search of buried relics or treasures, remove prehistoric or historic artifacts, or use metal detectors, except as provided in §D of this regulation, within the boundaries of lands, beaches, or under waters controlled by the Service.

C. Permits are issued to archeologists and other qualified individuals who present a plan for scientific investigation to be carried out under provisions of the Maryland Archeological Historic Properties Act, Article 83B, 5-623-----5-628, Annotated Code of Maryland. Copies of the law and application for permit can be obtained from the Chief, Office of Archeology, Maryland Historical Trust, 100 Community Place, Crownsville, MD 21032.

D. Metal Detector Exception.

(1) An exception to the permit requirements of this regulation is for the use of a metal detector in the search for modern coins, jewelry, and other items on designated swimming beaches operated by the Service, with the exceptions of Point Lookout and Calvert Cliffs.

(2) An individual shall obtain permission to use a metal detector as set forth in this regulation from the Service.

(3) A metal detector may be used during normal park hours with the following exceptions:

(a) 9 a.m. through dusk from May 30 through Labor Day; and

(b) Other times at the discretion of the park manager.

Paragraph (3) above is what is typically posted at most parks in the conspicuous public areas. Each park area has administrative and maintenance personnel that are DNR employees. These personnel, including the park manager, have no law enforcement or arrest authority but will attempt to enforce the regulations. In the event a law enforcement officer is needed, the park officer will call the local DNR Police using his/her handheld transceiver.

Paragraph D.(3)(b) is invoked by park managers during special events such as when a Seafood Festival or Polar Bear Swim is taking place. The term "normal park hours" in paragraph. D(3) has been the source of confusion, particularly at parks that have "day use areas" that are open to campers for jogging, swimming, fishing and boating during pre-dawn hours.

One question that arises is, how far out from shore does the "Park" extend, that is, beyond what distance are you no longer "in the State Park." Once beyond the designated beach swimming area you are in Maryland waters that are not subject to the above " D. Metal Detector Exception" and are thus prohibited from using a metal detector by paragraph C, unless you have a permit.

POLICY

The COMAR 08.07.06.18 Metal Detector Exception authorizes park managers to limit the use of metal detectors at their discretion. Accordingly, park and regional managers have established policies for each park which define days and hours that metal detecting is permitted. The policy for each park may or may not be posted. It is therefore incumbent for metal detectorists to determine what the policy is by contacting park staff periodically, keeping in mind that policy varies from park to park.

Following is a list of Maryland State Parks having beach swimming areas, showing the Park Managers' policies for metal detecting in the beach area:

Western Region Parks

Greenbrier State Park Permits the use of metal detectors in the search for modern coins, jewelry, etc. on swimming the beach and in adjacent swimming area. These devices may be used during normal park hours except from 9:00 a.m. (6:00 a.m. for campers) to dusk from May 30 through Labor Day.

Cunningham Falls State Park Metal detecting is prohibited Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend. It is permitted from the Tuesday after Labor Day to the Thursday before Memorial Day normal Park hours.

Deep Creek Lake State Park Metal detecting is prohibited Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend. It is permitted from the Tuesday after Labor Day to the Thursday before Memorial Day normal Park hours.

Rocky Gap State Park Permits the use of metal detectors in the search for modern coins, jewelry, etc. on swimming the beach and in adjacent swimming areas with two exceptions. These devices may be used during normal Park hours except a. From 9:00 a.m. to dusk from May 30 through Labor Day, and b. On Campers beach register campers only may access this area from 7:00 a.m. to dusk during the time that the campground is open for the season (typically Mid to end of April through the 2nd weekend in December)

Herrington Manor State Park Metal detecting maybe done during normal Park hours during the year. Exceptions to this policy are as follows from May 30 through Labor Day it is allowed from 9:00 am to Dusk and during this time period would not be allowed if it would interrupt the recreation of other park visitors.

New Germany State Park Metal detecting is prohibited Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend. It is permitted from the Tuesday after Labor Day to the Thursday before Memorial Day normal Park hours.

Eastern Region Parks

Assateague Island State Park policy is that metal detectors are not allowed from Memorial Day through Labor Day and are only allowed on the beach (not in the campground at any time). Individuals going to the park during the permitted times need to follow regular park entrance procedures (having appropriate entrance pass or paying day use service charges). However, if clubs or large groups wish to metal detect, park management should be contacted beforehand.

Janes Island State Park policy is that metal detectors may be used during normal park hours with the following two exceptions: (1) from 9 a.m. through dusk from May 30 through Labor Day, and (2) other times at the discretion of the park manager. Note: Swimming beach is assessable only by boat.

Central Region Parks

Elk Neck State Park policy is that detecting is allowed as stated in the COMAR, but you are first required to check-in at the park office.

Gunpowder Falls State Park policy prohibits metal detecting from Memorial Day thru Labor Day. Otherwise, metal detectors may be used in beach areas during normal park hours.

Hart-Miller Island State Park policy is that detecting is allowed as stated in the COMAR.

North Point State Park policy prohibits use of metal detectors at all times.

Southern Region Parks

Greenwell State Park policy prohibits metal detecting at all times.

Point Lookout and Calvert Cliffs State Parks As stated above, metal detecting is specifically prohibited by COMAR.

Sandy Point State Park policy allows metal detecting from park opening to 9:00 am Memorial Day thru Labor Day. Otherwise, metal detectors may be used in beach areas during normal park hours. (Note: Gate normally opens at 6:00am)

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and the kids got told we were not allowed to detect at a county park yesterday. The kids bugged me all day to take them and we found a hill with a stage at the bottom for events. I showed the kids the proper way to dig after our fourth coin up rolled Mr. no personality and told us it was not allowed, I told him I was just teaching these kids how to detect and didn't see any signs saying it was not permitted, plus there was another little kid there with one. It's a wonder why kids just wanna stay in and play video games 20hrs a day, I finally got them out and we couldn't detect. It's getting hard to find places to go, now I remember why I sold my XLT years ago and gave it up for a while.

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Anyone detecting while there is a lifeguard and swimmers inthe lake needs to be kicked out. I have hunted the lakes for a long time and you never hunt when over 1 or 2 people are there. Get out of bed and get there at daybreak and that will give you a couple hours to hunt. I dont argue with the rangers etc. Arguing is pointless as is getting an attorney over something that petty. The state can pretty well do whatever they want to. There is always some provision that they can kick you out of a park totally attheir discretion.. so dont be a moron on push it... you will end up losing for you and the rest of us.

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Again, I'm not trying to be an a$$, and think we should be allowed to use our parks to hunt, but we still have to follow the rules. We have a park here that is totally closed to md'ing because some people went after dark, knowing it was not allowed, and ruined it for everyone. We can't even fish on the beaches here at night because of people trashing the areas after dark.
Another example is that you are not allowed to crab at night in Maryland. Yes, crabbing, because people were stealing crab pots. So DNR closed crabbing at night. People keep skirting the laws and doing illegal things and the state will keep closing parks, seasons, ect.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Metal detecting in MD state parks is really at the discression of the park managers. The signes at Rocks State park state the regulation and then state that you can detect with permission of the park manager. I have hunted the park with permission of the old park manager, but the present manager will not give permission. County parks in Harford county are controlled by managers that make there own rules. I can hunt some and then not others. I can hunt Bel Air parks with no problem. I have little respect for most metal detector laws. They punish everyone. It's like someone speeded down that road so they pass a law closing the road to vehicle traffic. It's not the American way of freedom to all but punish the wrong doers. There should be a $100 fine for each hole left. That would solve the problem and allow good TH's to enjoy the parks. The arches have taken over the state by pushing archaeological legislation. A bureau was set up that rules and claimes everything in the land and in the water of Maryland. They have set up their own museum. It is run like a dynasty. Frank

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I was born and raised in Harford and my brother started out as a Susquehanna state park ranger. He would allow you to hunt, no problem, if you asked first. Now he finds people at night, digging, leaving holes, and sneaking around. So he has had to ban them. I was just talking to him about this and he informed me that most of the complaints he gets about metal detecting come from regular folks visiting the parks, not just the rangers or employees. He said the best way to change the rules is to talk to the rangers/managers and discuss ways to let people md. He told me that he very rarely meets with people about it. He said he always hears people complain how they can't do something, but never sees anyone go about changing the rules properly. The article in W&E Treasures, Sept '11, pg. 23, tells of how out of all the national clubs they could only get 13 people to rally in New York to keep the city parks open. Only 13 people out of how many thousands showed up?? That's pathetic!!
Everyone wants to take, take, take and not give. I volunteer at a state park to pick up trash, plant beach grass, paint life guard chairs, mow and a bunch of other stuff. I can detect anywhere I want. But assuming we have a "right" to do whatever we want, and if we can't have it we'll just take it, is the wrong thing to do. It's just like someone coming over, eating all your food, not helping to clean up and then just going home.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions