Do you use protection, or just dive right in raw?

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I think I need some protection. I'm looking for a good set of gloves to use while MD'ing, and was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations? Dirt keeps getting under my fingernails and I have sliced up my fingertips on targets (mostly pieces of tin) 4 or 5 times now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I prefer those mechanic's gloves. They hug the fingers really well.

tomted62

Oct 30, 2008
Tiro, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the cheap cotton gloves with the rubber coating. Good grip, cheap, and they work to protect the hands from glass and metal.

Del Digger

Mar 22, 2006
Wilmington, DE
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Garrett GTAX400, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was at Home Depot today and they have a great selection of gloves. That's where I'll get my next pair.

S

stefen

Get yourself a hunting partner like a kid...delegate the digging :thumbsup:

dallgire

Jul 17, 2011
Around Columbia SC
Detector(s) used
rather not say! lol ;)
the link i posted the gloves are only 4.99 i mean i thought that was cheap for a nice pair of mechanics gloves

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well Miss, I got the same impression but realized it was a setup to draw you in. As for the cut off name originator, get a good digging trowel and a fingernail cleaning brush from the auto parts store. Don't be so candy! Frank
This is one of my abrupt days, sorry.

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
missmetaldetectingdiva said:
Is it just me or was anyone else thinking that this sounded like a question that should be on an adult only forum.. mding didnt come to mind.. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

...yeah well it got my attention that's for sure ;D
Anyway, a fairly inexpensive pairt of glove like these guys were saying is all you need. Yes they'll wear down and a finger may come thru eventually, no biggy. Less than $10 for a decent pair will do ya. :icon_thumright:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I discovered that I have an allergy to something in the soil or grass in a few places. I am guessing it is some kind of fertilizer or pesticide? So, I always wear a pair of those rubber palmed and fingered gloves, especially when hunting parks. When I first started detecting I found myself with two red and sore hands with tiny blisters about the second time out. Dertatologist said to wear the gloves and I don't regret it. Monty

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First, Senor ( keyboard not set for spanish), make sure the tetanus shot is up to date. I like to go "au-natural" myself but will put on gloves, any gloves, at a park. The "slaw" will "slice"! I like the heavy leather myself.... so I can push and dig with the fingers. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TerryC said:
First, Senor ( keyboard not set for spanish), make sure the tetanus shot is up to date. I like to go "au-natural" myself but will put on gloves, any gloves, at a park. The "slaw" will "slice"! I like the heavy leather myself.... so I can push and dig with the fingers. TTC
hombre_de_plata_flaco, ¡Ayer por la tarde encontré la ¨alt key!¨ (yesterday I found the alt key) TTC

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'Afternon Terry mi Au / Ag buddy. What can these people be referring to on their remarks about the title?? I don't get it? I thought that it was faily straight forward, gloves ??? snicker

Don Jose de La Mancha (el chaste saint in his cave at the end of the trail)

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
G'Afternon Terry mi Au / Ag buddy. What can these people be referring to on their remarks about the title?? I don't get it? I thought that it was faily straight forward, gloves ??? snicker

Don Jose de La Mancha (el chaste saint in his cave at the end of the trail)
¡No sé, Don José! ¡Pregunte él "Skinny silver guy"! (I don't know, Don Jose. Ask the skinny silver guy!) Take care, buddy. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread