Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Aug 2011

Wil I find anything where I live?

We live way up in the mountains on former ranch land. Few folks have walked here, although it was Ute Indian territory way back. We can get to what was formerly railroad bed 50 to a hundred years ago as well as gem mining digs. We also drive through the desert and have wondered if working dry arroyos would yied anything. Suggestions? Obviously, we don't have an idea of what we're doing yet.

ge
    Apr 2011
    Georgia
    Teknetics Delta 4000
    7 times

Re: Wil I find anything where I live?

Depends on what you are looking for, but I would say yes - you will find stuff. I thought I lived in a bad area to MD but things have been going pretty well as of late. Just keep looking down and digging and you will find things.

Good luck to you and happy hunting.

Hombre
    LMAO

May 2005
    28 times

Seems most people detect existing towns (parks/schools/private yards w/OK, or sites w/torn up sidewalks or streets, vacant lots), ghost towns, war battle sites, swimming beaches, fairgrounds, rodeo grounds, abandoned military camps, streams for gold nuggets if in a gold bearing area. I hope you might be near some places like these? Best wishes, George (MN)

us
    Aug 2011

Quote Originally Posted by George (MN)
    Seems most people detect existing towns (parks/schools/private yards w/OK, or sites w/torn up sidewalks or streets, vacant lots), ghost towns, war battle sites, swimming beaches, fairgrounds, rodeo grounds, abandoned military camps, streams for gold nuggets if in a gold bearing area. I hope you might be near some places like these? Best wishes, George (MN)
    Long drive to any of those, except we have a small equine arena a few miles away. Thanks, I'll start there. Also have the S. Platte River that runs next to it. There's a large gold mining operation 20 miles away, but there was no mining closer. Still, it might have an occasional nugget in it. I'll ask one of our neighbors that hunt gems up here. There are lots of claims in the national forest a mile away. They dig for crystals, amethyst, quartz in white, pink, clear and smokey quartz fossils and petrified wood. I don't think any of those are detectable. The river is fast running, cold, and 2 to 3 feet deep. Are detectors water proof, or do you have to buy one that is?

us
    Tuberale

May 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    White's Coinmaster Pro
    22 times

Detectors are not naturally waterproof. If you hunt in water, you will need to get a detector that will withstand immersion.

But just because there is mining 20 miles away doesn't mean you are in a lode area, and therefore have a chance of finding nuggets. Check with your local geological survey in your state for more info. It often is free.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster
    1506 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I think you might be surprised at what you'll find. I'm in gold and silver country in the Rockies, and I've always hoped I find a highgrader's forgotten stash, as I bet there's a few around. If you have active claims there like we do, be sure you're aware of where they're at and stay off them unless you get permission. And it wouldn't hurt to strike up a friendship with the claim holders, if possible.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro....

Jan 2011
    New Orleans
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer, Whites Prism
    831 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Just about anywhere people have ever been they've lost something, or left things behind. If you are on ranch land, look for where the old campsites may have been, cowboys used them over and over. You might have line shacks where they stayed while they were out working too. They could be hard to locate unless old trails are still visible, but scouring your area with google earth might help narrow down the possibilities.

Good luck and happy hunting!
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

Now in the process of posting my antique photo collection at : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1654 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Wherever people gather! TTC
    ONE MIND - ANY WEAPON

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors