Wil I find anything where I live?

2MileHi

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2011
We live way up in the mountains on former ranch land. Few folks have walked here, although it was Ute Indian territory way back. We can get to what was formerly railroad bed 50 to a hundred years ago as well as gem mining digs. We also drive through the desert and have wondered if working dry arroyos would yied anything. Suggestions? Obviously, we don't have an idea of what we're doing yet. :icon_scratch:

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Depends on what you are looking for, but I would say yes - you will find stuff. I thought I lived in a bad area to MD but things have been going pretty well as of late. Just keep looking down and digging and you will find things.

Good luck to you and happy hunting.

Hombre

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Seems most people detect existing towns (parks/schools/private yards w/OK, or sites w/torn up sidewalks or streets, vacant lots), ghost towns, war battle sites, swimming beaches, fairgrounds, rodeo grounds, abandoned military camps, streams for gold nuggets if in a gold bearing area. I hope you might be near some places like these? Best wishes, George (MN)

OP
OP

2MileHi

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2011
George (MN) said:
Seems most people detect existing towns (parks/schools/private yards w/OK, or sites w/torn up sidewalks or streets, vacant lots), ghost towns, war battle sites, swimming beaches, fairgrounds, rodeo grounds, abandoned military camps, streams for gold nuggets if in a gold bearing area. I hope you might be near some places like these? Best wishes, George (MN)

Long drive to any of those, except we have a small equine arena a few miles away. Thanks, I'll start there. Also have the S. Platte River that runs next to it. There's a large gold mining operation 20 miles away, but there was no mining closer. Still, it might have an occasional nugget in it. I'll ask one of our neighbors that hunt gems up here. There are lots of claims in the national forest a mile away. They dig for crystals, amethyst, quartz in white, pink, clear and smokey quartz fossils and petrified wood. I don't think any of those are detectable. The river is fast running, cold, and 2 to 3 feet deep. Are detectors water proof, or do you have to buy one that is?

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Detectors are not naturally waterproof. If you hunt in water, you will need to get a detector that will withstand immersion.

But just because there is mining 20 miles away doesn't mean you are in a lode area, and therefore have a chance of finding nuggets. Check with your local geological survey in your state for more info. It often is free.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you might be surprised at what you'll find. I'm in gold and silver country in the Rockies, and I've always hoped I find a highgrader's forgotten stash, as I bet there's a few around. If you have active claims there like we do, be sure you're aware of where they're at and stay off them unless you get permission. And it wouldn't hurt to strike up a friendship with the claim holders, if possible.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just about anywhere people have ever been they've lost something, or left things behind. If you are on ranch land, look for where the old campsites may have been, cowboys used them over and over. You might have line shacks where they stayed while they were out working too. They could be hard to locate unless old trails are still visible, but scouring your area with google earth might help narrow down the possibilities.

Good luck and happy hunting!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wherever people gather! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread