Air Travel with metal detector

jimmyzr1

Jun 12, 2010
Sacramento, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Ctx-3030, Excalibur sword, XP Deus, 3 Garrett propointers, White's Tdi SL, VX3, 6000 Di Pro SL, Mx sport, Tesoro Tiger shark and more
What is the best way to take 1-3 metal detectors overseas? I will be taking one detector to the Philippines and hopefully returning with 3. I think I am going to be able to pick up a Minelab GPX5000 and an Excalibur II also. A friend of my wife's husband just passed away and wants to sell both detectors to me for $1000 to $1500 for both.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
They'll smack you with huge import taxes if they catch you on the way back in, and all those wires and tubes and electronics will scare the guy on the x-ray machine to death! :laughing9:
So..just take that into consideration.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd ship mine over and avoid flying with it.

What if the airline loses it?

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shipping it is probably the best way to go. I throw copies of the manuals in with mine. Hopefully if they have a problem the TSA personnel can read enough to figure out it's a detector. Haven't had a problem yet. (knocking on wood).

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Re: Air Travel with metal detector& (what not to Do )

Subject: What Not To Do

The 1st thing I would like to thank the Whites Family for their continued support of the FMDAC for 20 years along with their staff. Also I would like to thank the Loyal Staff of the FMDAC for putting on a Great Treasure Hunt across the U S A. These dedicated FMDAC Officers spend 100's of Hours each year putting on Great Hunts with Limited resources and with the Price of Silver your can only buy so much. I have attended a lot of these Hunts since the 1st Hunt in Atlantic City, New Jersey in 1988. I remember when they used to have 5 gallon buckets of coins for each block and maybe 20 blocks roped off ,where you could not see all the people detecting. I won a Top detector that Hunt. Also during one of the Whites seminars I won the Whites Electronics Silver Round and still have it in my safe. They would not tell me the Mintage but I would think it may only be 100 pieces. This year I attended the Niagara Falls , New York Hunt and found a Token for the Whites Bullseye 1 1 Pinpointer ,everyone wanted this prize, I think 5 were available. Now what not to do- Do not put this Whites Bullseye Pinpointer in your carry on backpack going thru the airport Scanners. The TSA Security pulled me aside and said they need to go thru my backpack since there was something in it besides coins. Then they put items from by back pack in a separate bin and ran it thru the scanner again. They were still not satisfied and came back to me for a 3rd scan of my items, this is when I realized the Whites Bullseye 11 Pinpointer was in the backpack . I finally passed TSA Security after 2 TSA Security agents removed the box and read the instructions. They also offered to help put everything back in my back pack. Richard Otterbourg- Charlotte,N.C.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread