Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not so long ago some members were posting that the winter had finally gotten so bad they have to quit hunting until things warmed up. The ground was forzen too hard and the wind was too fierce.

Well, this weekend I finally had to surrender for the opposite reason.

I went to Cocoa Beach on Friday morning. Got there about 8:00 AM and by 11:00 AM I had to quit. The heat was just too much and I didn't have a dry stitch of clothing on me. I couldn;t even dip into the surf because my detector isn't waterproof.

I've decided to try and hang up the detector for just a little while, at least until the temperature drops below 90 degrees again.

I know complaining about the heat is a national pastime, but this summer has finally gotten the best of me, I have to admit.

Don't know if I can wait that long though. :wink:

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Even in Minnesota, we've had heat indexes 110+, why killing oneself for a silver dime or a couple bucks clad. Best wishes, George (MN)

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't feel bad, the last two times I hunted on land I started feeling woozy after just a short while. We hunted 10 hours in the water Saturday and never noticed the heat. In the water is the only way to go right now.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear you! :icon_thumleft:

Wish I had a water machine, but at present I do not.

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out for about an hour the other morning. Heat index was bad. Ground is hard and dry....multiple 100 plus degree days....Got to wait until it cools off...

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
up here in the northeast it's raining all the time. 80s. not so hot it'll cook ya, but digging and having holes flood is the pits. :) :angry7:

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
You are correct. I live in the same area and had to quit by 10 am because it was just way too hot.

Cooler temps coming. Until then I get out early, quit early or just stay home in the Air Conditioning.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I hunt in hot weather I always get up way before daylight and do my hunting just as the sun rises up until about 9:30 AM. Just as the sun comes up there is usually a slight breeze from the air heating up and it is really nice, especially if you are hunting at a lakeside beach and there are lots of those places here in Oklahoma. Often we get a passing rain shower over night and it softens the round just enough to make digging easier at least until the sun comes up and dries it out again. We have had a couple dozen days over 100 this summer and have been under a fire watch most of the time. The ground is like a brick in most areas and we have had a rash of destructive fires that have wiped out several homes. So, be very careful if you are a smoker and be sure all your butts are out when discarded. (Well, I mean the cigarette butts, not your butts)! I'm haveing a terrible syntax day in my posting. :laughing9: Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions