Noob here and I need advice

mclldavidson

Aug 16, 2011
I have always been interested in metal detectors since I used my grandpa's years ago. I have decide I want to buy one, but I do not know where to begin. I do not want a cheap one I will regret buying but I don't want to spend a lot of money either. I put an ad on craigslist looking for one and a guy emailed me and offered a Garret Treasure Ace 100 for $75 and an MP3 Pro Digital for $150

I don't mind buying used and I really don't want to spend more than a couple hundred, unless I need to in order to be worth my time

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For $200, the Ace 250 is your best bet. The Ace 350 is more expensive.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While a lot of folks use & swear by the Ace line, I myself didn't care for it. IMHO I'd go for something on the lower end by Fisher (F2 or F5) or Tesoro. Both brands are light years ahead of the Ace line as far as I'm concerned & Tesoro's even come with a lifetime warranty :thumbsup:

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
it's like trying on shoes.....

I have an ACE 250 (from the ACE line and a Tesoro Vaquero (from the "beep and dig" line) and I love them both but I've learned them both. If you're mostly doing park hunting and beach (on the dry sand) hunting then the ACE ain't bad...ONCE YOU LEARN IT. All detectors will read metal but sometimes one FEELS better TO YOU than another one will....a better "fit" for you and your type of hunting. It's like trying on shoes. Lots of size 12 but they all feel differently. You won't go wrong with any of the detectors mentions ONCE YOU LEARN IT.

S

stefen

It seems that the preponderance of hunters on TN use a 250...

When you get to the top of your learning curve, then switch to a higher level machine.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own a 250 and an F4. I (personally) have found the F4 a very good finder of dimes but little else. The 250 is a very good all around coin machine. I like it. But only you can decide on the starter machine you will buy. As posted above, Mike at Woodland Detectors would be a good start. Support the Tnet advertisers! TTC

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Ace 250 is a good starter machine. It's good for coin shooting at parks and places like that and even does a decent job relic hunting. It doesn't go very deep and doesn't handle trashy areas real well until you learn how to use it in such areas. But, it will give you a good idea of what the hobby is about. After that then you will know more about what kind of machine you will want to upgrade to.

Whatever you get just make sure to take the time to learn it's language. It will take several months to get comfortable with a new machine.

-Swartzie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread