new member here need advice thanks

Mortifercain

Aug 11, 2011
indiana
well koy one thing i will say as a very new mder my self is cheapest is probably not the way to go i recently purchased a gc1010 other wise known as a treasure hunter 3030. i am on very limited funds so i haggled this unit off a feller for 50 dollars. while it has notch and disc modes and is digital and allows me to get a feel for my new hobby. this is not a well known name in the field and i would bet anything even guys with two thousand dollar rigs still wonder how much they leave behind thinking its just trash. that said im totaly hooked on this hobby and my next purchase will be one i will be happy with for a long time. either a whites or garrett AT pro only cuz i want to take it in the water. let me know what ya get and how you like it please. allot of these old timer have been at this for a dogs age! us greenhorns have to stick together haha

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Hi, this is my humble opinion...Get yourself a Minelab Xterra 305, easy to use and arguably the best starter detector out there for the money. You will NOT be sorry with this detector, it comes with a 3 yr warranty and will run you about $400.00 There's plenty of info available online about it, it's easy to operate and does a respectable job!

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
It's all about preference, if you want a screen, or if you want a tone, if your a land detectorist, or a water detectorist, if you're in ore enriched ground, or dirt. There is many types.

I strongly suggest starting with a VLF detector. I've tried 10 different detectors and companies, and so far the very best detector I've found is the Tesoro Silver Umax it runs $232

All the owners of them will agree that it's amazing. Those who haven't tried it will knock it, because they like theirs, but from experience with many detectors, I can tell you this is one of the best low priced machines, and very well made. It also has the best discrimination against Iron that I've ever seen.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would suggest fInd a few your interested in and watch YouTube videos of them. Great way to see what they sound and look like. Feel free to contact me as I can help answer your questions on all the ones I sell and most all other brands.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread