cheryl2010#

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2010
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be going to Mexico next month and to follow is the information I received about taking my XLT and my sand scoop.

The metal detector issue must be addressed both in the U.S. and Mexico on the outbound and the return. The metal detector would have to be put in your checked luggage. If there is a battery, remove it and purchase a battery after you arrive in Mexico. The U.S. TSA agents would certainly do a hand search of your checked luggage after it goes through their scanner.

The following information is from our contact in Mexico pertaining to getting the metal detector through Mexican customs.

To get it through customs and since all luggage has to be scanned upon arrival, you must declare it and ideally, bring an invoice to confirm its value and also as proof of ownership. Mexican Customs agents are authorized to apply a tax of 2% over the value of the object as a temporary import.

Has anyone taken their detector to Mexico and if you have, did you have any problems or issues.

Thanks

Cheryl

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have never metal detected out of the US but taking your machine on the plane in the US is no problem. I am sure someone will answer your question and help you out Cheryl.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cops in Mexico are way different than they are here..................

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bum Luck said:
Cops in Mexico are way different than they are here..................
A pocketfull of used 20s will get you out of most problems. ;D Just make sure you get back to the crossing before you run out of 20s.

I've taken my detector across numerous times without declaring anything, both driving & flying without a problem. But that was a few years ago, and I'm sure things have changed drastically.

If you have to declare it & pay an import tax, I'd get a local dealer or friendly Pawn shop to write you up a receipt for your machine as a used machine bought for $100, if you have a high end machine. Or leave your favorite machine at home & buy something that won't put you out a pile of cash if you lose it or one of the Federalies takes a liking to it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I know your question was about flights, but for what it's worth: I went through the border at Jaurez (at El Paso) into Mexico before. We had the metal detectors in plain view both coming and going, and they couldn't have cared less. In fact, upon going south into Mexico, one of the border patrol looked in at the detectors, and asked something to my host, in Spanish. My host answered back something in Spanish, and the agent just waived us through. Afterwards, I asked my host "what did he say?" My friend said that the guy had asked "what are those?" and my friend had answered "for pasatiempo" ("for our hobby"). And they just waived us through. Not sure if flights care any more, or less, about your personal effects.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions