Be Extra Careful in Bear Country

fibberjibber

Mar 7, 2008
kuger said:
fibberjibber said:
kuger said:
...one more question maybe you can,"research",so what are you to do once you have,"outrun",thus bear???
How many bears have you actually used "spray",on?How many near attacks have you experienced?Better question,how many bears have you actually seen....not in a book or on T.V.??Ever lived amongst them??

Look, you are entitled to your opinion. I stated I was not trying to be a jerk, just firm. Yes, I have lived among them and, yes, I have used the spray. I also know that having a bunch of MDers running around with illegally shortened and loaded guns is probably not the best idea. Can you imagine an average joe aiming a gun when they are fleeing or fearing for their lives? Or checking to see if their buddy is in range of the gun? Pepper spray DOES work, and pretty good too. There is a reason why law enforcement and national park & forest employees are armed with canisters. I am not saying guns dont work. I am saying that pepper spray is effective. And much less lethal to bystanders and the shooter.
And its more helpful to the conversation when you refrain from the nasty sarcastic tone.
-e

Points taken,however.....sawed off shotguns are not illegal everywhere(that kind of shows your experience with bears right there)second as I said,check around,see what weapon is most carried by Professionals,in bear country.The Gov. actually issued them to us when we were trapping grizzlies to attach tracking collars for one of the largest studies ever done in the Sawtooth basin,hmmm wonder why?I have had two different occasions where I deployed bear spray(because as a big game guide in Montana,you are not allowed to carry a gun)and yes,I am not dead,but I will tell you because the wind was blowing toward me with the bear at 5 ft. I not only got the bear but myself,and had the bear been serious about getting me,there would have been no running.Real nice feeling when you suddenly can not see!!!That bear was shot and killed a month later when it killed a hiker.Bottom line spray does work,I was merely giving other options,as I dont automatically think people are stupid or unresponsive enough to handle a firearm.You sound like our beloved elected officials wanting to protect everybody from them selves.Keep reading you will get it someday
Sorry sunshine. You know nothing about me and are way off base. But your ignorance is definitely your bliss. Please tell me tho- how did you EVER get out of that situation with the bear at 5ft?? Did you ultimately shoot a gun to scare him off? Or did you run away? Better to have most people in the wilds shooting pepper spray at anything that moves in the brush than steel shot. Logical order in your arguments is almost non-existent so I wont even address any more of your banter. One little nugget for you to chew on- do ya think the government may have issued you a gun because you were, I dunno, TRAPPING the bears? I think the folks on this forum would be better served hearing how to avoid contact with bears if they happen to vacation in bear country.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They would be better to read fact from somebody that has been there and done than versus somebody that makes there living preaching to young minds that know no better.You might get away with your Jargon with them,but on here there are some pretty sharp cookies that sniff out pretenders like your self in a hurry!!

Nice "grab",attempt at a rebuttal,with your questions that if you were to slow down and read were answered for you....Sunshine!!! :thumbsup:

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Bears are Godless Killing Machines.

colbert-bears1.gif

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
fibberjibber said:
kuger said:
...one more question maybe you can,"research",so what are you to do once you have,"outrun",thus bear???
How many bears have you actually used "spray",on?How many near attacks have you experienced?Better question,how many bears have you actually seen....not in a book or on T.V.??Ever lived amongst them??

Look, you are entitled to your opinion. I stated I was not trying to be a jerk, just firm. Yes, I have lived among them and, yes, I have used the spray. I also know that having a bunch of MDers running around with illegally shortened and loaded guns is probably not the best idea. Can you imagine an average joe aiming a gun when they are fleeing or fearing for their lives? Or checking to see if their buddy is in range of the gun? Pepper spray DOES work, and pretty good too. There is a reason why law enforcement and national park & forest employees are armed with canisters. I am not saying guns dont work. I am saying that pepper spray is effective. And much less lethal to bystanders and the shooter.
And its more helpful to the conversation when you refrain from the nasty sarcastic tone.
-e

Points taken,however.....sawed off shotguns are not illegal everywhere(that kind of shows your experience with bears right there)second as I said,check around,see what weapon is most carried by Professionals,in bear country.The Gov. actually issued them to us when we were trapping grizzlies to attach tracking collars for one of the largest studies ever done in the Sawtooth basin,hmmm wonder why?I have had two different occasions where I deployed bear spray(because as a big game guide in Montana,you are not allowed to carry a gun)and yes,I am not dead,but I will tell you because the wind was blowing toward me with the bear at 5 ft. I not only got the bear but myself,and had the bear been serious about getting me,there would have been no running.Real nice feeling when you suddenly can not see!!!That bear was shot and killed a month later when it killed a hiker.Bottom line spray does work,I was merely giving other options,as I dont automatically think people are stupid or unresponsible enough to handle a firearm.You sound like our beloved elected officials wanting to protect everybody from them selves.Keep reading you will get it someday
:o

Fck me...who wants to get close enough to a Bear, to use a spray :o I guarantee you the Bear would have ran a mile from me...because of the Cr@p in my pants :o

SS

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:

colbert-bears1.gif
Bears are animals they kill to survive, unlike Man >:(

SS

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
kuger said:
fibberjibber said:
kuger said:

-e

Points taken,however.....sawed off shotguns are not illegal everywhere(that kind of shows your experience with bears right there)second as I said,check around,see what weapon is most carried by Professionals,in bear country.The Gov. actually issued them to us when we were trapping grizzlies to attach tracking collars for one of the largest studies ever done in the Sawtooth basin,hmmm wonder why?I have had two different occasions where I deployed bear spray(because as a big game guide in Montana,you are not allowed to carry a gun)and yes,I am not dead,but I will tell you because the wind was blowing toward me with the bear at 5 ft. I not only got the bear but myself,and had the bear been serious about getting me,there would have been no running.Real nice feeling when you suddenly can not see!!!That bear was shot and killed a month later when it killed a hiker.Bottom line spray does work,I was merely giving other options,as I dont automatically think people are stupid or unresponsible enough to handle a firearm.You sound like our beloved elected officials wanting to protect everybody from them selves.Keep reading you will get it someday
:o

Fck me...who wants to get close enough to a Bear, to use a spray :o I guarantee you the Bear would have ran a mile from me...because of the Cr@p in my pants :o

SS

Lol!!I hear ya Colin!!I have the deepest respect for them,and hope if I am ever to be attacked again,I will run to a down hill slope....that will save me,ya know 'always RUN from any predator",yea thats what ya do!!! :laughing7:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A nice story, and it would never have crossed my mind to get on the phone while a bear was eatin me. I live in bear country. They are pretty active right now, gettin read for winter. I have camped in areas where bear attacks have taken place. So far, I've had no encounters with one. I take precautions with food and always check the area for sign. I have a Ruger Vaquero .45. Not so much that I think I'm gonna kill the bear, but it is very loud and might get his attention. I have my vehicle keys and it has that alarm button that sets off the lights and horn. I saw that actually scare off a bear one time in Breckenridge, CO. One disturbing thing I've noticed, and I wonder what Kuger might know on this, it seems bears are startin to associate tents with a food source?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
A nice story, and it would never have crossed my mind to get on the phone while a bear was eatin me. I live in bear country. They are pretty active right now, gettin read for winter. I have camped in areas where bear attacks have taken place. So far, I've had no encounters with one. I take precautions with food and always check the area for sign. I have a Ruger Vaquero .45. Not so much that I think I'm gonna kill the bear, but it is very loud and might get his attention. I have my vehicle keys and it has that alarm button that sets off the lights and horn. I saw that actually scare off a bear one time in Breckenridge, CO. One disturbing thing I've noticed, and I wonder what Kuger might know on this, it seems bears are startin to associate tents with a food source?

Yes,they(Bears)are highly intelligent(as are all animals)and associate food with certain things/areas.Campgrounds sloppy homeowners,etc.Adult bears will pass on traditional feeding areas to young as well.Black Bear populations are at an all time high right now here in the west,and dont seem to be declining.Nevada actually held there first hunting season this year,when it wasnt that long ago it was a very rare ocassion to even see a bear.Montana/Idaho are experiencing increased Grizzly populations/problems this year as well.It has been all over the news of the two fatalities in Yellowstone this year.What you dont hear is that there are fatalities and attacks EVERY YEAR,I cant figure out why the media makes it sound like something abnormal?People need to respect bears and educate themselves on how to act and things they must do when in bear areas,they are a wonderful animal but demand respect!!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
RGINN said:

Yes,they(Bears)are highly intelligent(as are all animals)and associate food with certain things/areas.Campgrounds sloppy homeowners,etc.Adult bears will pass on traditional feeding areas to young as well.Black Bear populations are at an all time high right now here in the west,and dont seem to be declining.Nevada actually held there first hunting season this year,when it wasnt that long ago it was a very rare ocassion to even see a bear.Montana/Idaho are experiencing increased Grizzly populations/problems this year as well.It has been all over the news of the two fatalities in Yellowstone this year.What you dont hear is that there are fatalities and attacks EVERY YEAR,I cant figure out why the media makes it sound like something abnormal?People need to respect bears and educate themselves on how to act and things they must do when in bear areas,they are a wonderful animal but demand respect!!
:notworthy:

Kuger your the man :headbang: no reason we can't live side by side, it's the Folk with no brains that cause the problems, you should hire your advice out, then people would be safer out there :thumbsup:

SS

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
kuger said:
RGINN said:

:notworthy:

Kuger your the man :headbang: no reason we can't live side by side, it's the Folk with no brains that cause the problems, you should hire your advice out, then people would be safer out there :thumbsup:

SS
Thanks bud,and yes as I have always said..."there are no animal problems,just people problems",that being said I have made my living as an ambassador between the two,and yes did make a living at guiding others in "sport",but came the day when I realized the lack of respect and atitude of my clients(some)along with the fact populations were and are declining at a rabid pace,at our Governments hand,so I went to work for them to see if I could change that.....obviously,one does not change $$$ backed agenda's,so now I do a lot of traing instruction and consultation along with hands on "control".So in a way,I already do get paid :thumbsup:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bears are pretty smart, and I wondered why it took them so long to make the association between tents and food. A little public argument goin on up here between folks wantin DOW to go out and shoot the bears and others sayin share the woods. We've had more bear attacks this year. (I don't consider a bear turnin over your garbage an attack). I'm on the side of sharing their environment. It might be interesting to see how it plays out next summer here in the high country.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
Bears are pretty smart, and I wondered why it took them so long to make the association between tents and food. A little public argument goin on up here between folks wantin DOW to go out and shoot the bears and others sayin share the woods. We've had more bear attacks this year. (I don't consider a bear turnin over your garbage an attack). I'm on the side of sharing their environment. It might be interesting to see how it plays out next summer here in the high country.
Right,that is not an attack....what you must understand is the bears are coming down into Urban areas,and we can not,"share",those areas....doesnt work.I agree the back country is theres,BUT the dynamics of todays world has also changed.There are more people and if wildlife populations are not controlled there are huge confrontations.I dont see human population control here anytime soon?When an animal attacks a person the State is automatically liable,and always settles with the victim or victims family out of court so,the state/Gov. must then attempt to thrawrt future attacks.I have to also admit living in the backcountry for 6-7 months at a time it does get very old to deal with "conditioned",bears constantly ravaging camp etc....I know,I know,I am in there "home".

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right on that; there is a conflict when they come into urban areas. Coyotes are movin into Denver and scarin the crap out of residents. But, that's where the food is. We do have bear hunting seasons here in Colorado which could help control the population. Towns have laws concerning bear proofing garbage containers and that helps too. I spend every chance I get in the back country and so far haven't had a problem with them. Lions either. But I suspect those rascals have watched me and let me pass on by.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
You're right on that; there is a conflict when they come into urban areas. Coyotes are movin into Denver and scarin the crap out of residents. But, that's where the food is. We do have bear hunting seasons here in Colorado which could help control the population. Towns have laws concerning bear proofing garbage containers and that helps too. I spend every chance I get in the back country and so far haven't had a problem with them. Lions either. But I suspect those rascals have watched me and let me pass on by.

Yes....Urban coyotes are my bread and butter...and were a recent topic of "discussion",on here as well!! :laughing7:
I guarantee a big kitty has spied your activities.About 15 years ago I caught several lions for CDF&G so they could collar and track them....the results were quite fascinating!!! :wink:

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Silver Searcher said:

colbert-bears1.gif
Bears are animals they kill to survive, unlike Man >:(

SS

Vegetarian, I assume? Glad you receive all your sustenance from plant matter. Of course man kills to survive. You kill every time you sit down at the table for a serving of that disgusting blood pudding.

If you feel passionate about bears, I suggest you take to the woods to defend these majestic creatures just like that curious fellow "The Grizzly Man"

Timothy Treadwell (April 29, 1957 – October 5, 2003) was an American bear enthusiast, environmentalist, amateur naturalist, eco-warrior and documentary film maker. He lived among the coastal grizzly bears of Katmai National Park in Alaska, USA, for approximately 13 summers. At the end of his 13th summer in the park in 2003, he and his girlfriend Amie Huguenard were killed and eaten by a grizzly bear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Treadwell

I really can't think of any positive environmental impact bears have, other than they are pretty for people to look at. They could go the way of the dodo bird and mother nature would hardly take notice. Kill them all I say.

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah, but what about the Honey Badger?

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Honey Badgers are awesome. They kill cobras.

Bears are still the #1 threat to America and they are Godless Killing Machines. I would love to own a bearskin rug.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honey Badgers are awesome. They kill cobras.

Bears are still the #1 threat to America and they are Godless Killing Machines. I would love to own a bearskin rug.
You really are a plank Hombre, no I am not vegetarian, I live on this planet along with millions of life forms, even low life like you...

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Silver Searcher said:
You really are a plank Hombre

I'm sure "plank" is just some more of your cockney slang gibberish, but coming from a "chap" or "mate" like yourself, I'll consider it compliment.

Silver Searcher said:
No I am not vegetarian.

Well since you kill animals every time you slurp down a pile of jellied eels, I guess that makes you a hypocrite for supporting their death in order to fill your tummy with their slimy, dead carcasses.

Silver Searcher said:
I live on this planet along with millions of life forms, even low life like you...

"Low life?" You wound me kind sir. There is no need to hurl your vicious personal insults toward me every time I point out one of your ludicrous and moronic posts. I have feelings too, you know?

OP
OP
goverton

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee.......did I open a "can of worms".....uhhh..... I mean a "can of bears"! with that
news story??? ::) :tongue3:

Where is Davy Crockett when we need him most? :hello2: :help:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread