Can someone tell Me about dowsing for buried treasure.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Hunt the menu page. Pretty sure there's a "dowsing" forum on this site. :wink:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It's called wishfull thinking. The well driller came over with his willow branch and said water was there. He drilled 300' for a dry hole. Cost me $6K with the second hole at a site I picked. So do I believe in dousing? Frank

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Dowsing isn't something just anyone can do. Like any discipline, i'm sure there are plenty of frauds out there waiting to take your money. First i recommend you check your family history and find out if any of your relatives were dowsers. If there are dowsers in your family, you may have inherited a natural ability for the art. Next thing is to get yourself a set of rods and try them out. If you are a natural with rods, the crudest set of rods will produce results. Even a couple of bent coat hangers will work just fine. You don't need "baited" or "energized" special rods to produce the effect. As for skeptics, there are people who don't believe dinasaurs ever existed and dispite mountains of evidence to the contrary, you will NEVER be able to convince them otherwise. Make up your own mind. All i know is dowsing has been used to locate buried treasure since the Middle Ages. Good Luck.

S

stefen

Frankn said:
It's called wishfull thinking. The well driller came over with his willow branch and said water was there. He drilled 300' for a dry hole. Cost me $6K with the second hole at a site I picked. So do I believe in dousing? Frank

Two (2) thumbs up :laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
cat-fish, don't you see the bullet-proof circular logic of your statement? No one (if we follow through logically with what you are saying) can ever produce any amount of evidence, that it isn't any more than random chance. Ie.: the random chance of digging enough holes, in enough likely places (ruins, etc...) and then using a metal detector to "pinpoint". Because any amount of evidence (scientific, double-blind tests, air tests, statistical studies, etc....), your logic train will shoot it down. Because no matter how damaging the results for dowsing any tests or results are, the dowser will say (as you say here): "that person didn't have the gift", or "you didn't do it right", or "you didn't practice long enough", etc..... So if the person tries for 1 yr. w/no results, he will be chided and told "well you need to do it for 2 yrs.". If he tried it for 5 yrs, he will be chided and told "well you need to do it for 10 yrs", and so on and so on it goes. The nullifying the results of any statistical logical tests, discussions of the science of it, etc....

Any attempt to discuss the science of it, (because a lot of times, dowsers will say there's some scientific principle to it, so as to distance themselves from the metaphysical hocus pocus implications of it), and the dowser merely says (as you do), that it's as yet "un-discovered science". (ie.: in the same way science once thought man could never fly, etc...). Again, a bullet-proof inpenetrable logic circle, relieving the dowser from answering any question from a scientific basis.

So let's face it: It dabbles in the mystical & supernatural. And as such, is removed to go into a separate forum here, for good reason, as it has nothing to do with science and metal detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread