Gemstones in Georgia?

jls77

Aug 26, 2011
Hello All,
I normally enjoy metal detecting old homesites in Texas & Louisiana. But recently I came to visit a friend in Georgia & while looking around on some wooded property ( with permission ) I came across what appears to be a very large gray granite rock formation. I went downhill from there & started looking around a creek. In the creek is a lot of mica & quartz - Followed creek - came across blue clay & laying on top was a colorless clear gemstone. I do not know much about Gems. I am a little south of Atlanta. Does anyone know what it could be or if anything is known for being found in this area. Thanks, jls The pic does not do justice It is actually very clear.
async
async

Luckysweeper

Tenderfoot
Jul 22, 2011
Hard to identify by a picture only of course. It looks like simple quartz in the pic. Can it be scratched with that stainless steel rule? That will help determine the hardness.
If it is at least as hard as quartz you won't be able to put a scratch in it with the rule or a pen knife. If it won't scratch with the rule, try to scratch it with the tip of a piece of quartz. (I suspect that it will be able to be scratched by the quartz which is very hard.)
This would indicate that it is softer than quartz.

ok2raise

Dec 30, 2008
here
Detector(s) used
DEALER OF Garrett, & Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im not saying it is but it looks like smoke quartz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread