Me & My Big Mouth.

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
Re: Me & My Big Mouth.

Jeff, sorry to hear about your malady, poison ivy is getting more prevalent across the whole country. So always be careful
I've been one of those lucky ones not to have it yet. Younger days walked thru it ,didn't get it when others did!!
Now i have allergies to weeds,pine tree,etc so I think My luck has run out-- only a matter of time.
Hope yours clears up soon!
My mother got it last winter from gloves she used in the Summer!! BAD stuff!! >:( >:(

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2

Blackjack77 said:
Jeff, sorry to hear about your malady, poison ivy is getting more prevalent across the whole country. So always be careful
I've been one of those lucky ones not to have it yet. Younger days walked thru it ,didn't get it when others did!!
Now i have allergies to weeds,pine tree,etc so I think My luck has run out-- only a matter of time.
Hope yours clears up soon!
My mother got it last winter from gloves she used in the Summer!! BAD stuff!! >:( >:(

Yep, that oil the plant puts out can last up to a year ! If the clothing isn't washed.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've never had it either and I have accidentally walked through it, pulled it, burned it, etc. Notice I said accidentlly. I don't go out of my way to get in or near it though. My doctor told me that even if you are immune you can develop an allergy to it at any time in your life. I have a friend that can just walk past it and he will break out from head to toe. He has to go to an allergy clinic and get prevention shots of some kind every spring and even with that he still gets it sometimes but not as bad. I just do my best to avoid it. Hope ou get well soon Jeff. Monty

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Got to the Med Center This afternoon.

He said No Creams because it's too close to the Eye to risk it.

Gave me the choice of Pills or a Shot.

Since I'm already taking So many Pills through out the day,

I elected for the shot of cortisone.

He said probably about 3 days to clear up completly.
and that the Mornings will be the Hardest on my eye.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Glad to see you got a cortisone shot!!! When I read what happened and especially the fact that it was affecting your eye that's exactly what I was going to suggest.

It's unfortunately quite possible that you will now start being more and more susceptible to poison ivy :(.

I can tell you from experience that when it gets on your face your best bet is just to go get a shot. I've always been very affected by poison ivy - as a kid there were numerous times I had to go to the emergency room because both eyes were swollen shut and I was itching like crazy!!!

All those creams like calamine lotion or aloe vera did NOTHING for me except perhaps ease the itching for 30 minutes or so - I always ended up having to get a shot. Even those stupid pills never did crap for me :(.

You should probably start to be a bit more careful from now on and learn to identify poison ivy, poison oak and sumac. Also, since it's the oils that do the damage, your best bet is to wash your outer clothes as soon as possible when you come in if you think you might have gotten in contact with it.

I'm really surprised that so many people are posting here that they aren't affected by poison ivy - I wonder if it's only a small percentage of us that are. All I know is that it can be an extremely irritating, itchy and even painful problem.

You should feel much better fairly quickly from the shot - it usually helps me considerably within a day or so.

Be careful!

L

Lone Wolf

http://altnature.com/jewelweed.htm
Ways to Use Jewelweed
When you are out in the field and find you have been exposed to poison ivy, oak, or stinging nettle you can reach for the jewelweed plant and slice the stem, then rub its juicy inside on exposed parts. This will promptly ease irritation and usually prevents breakout for most people.

Jewelweed or an infusion made from boiling leaves of Impatiens capensis may be frozen for later use. Brew chopped jewelweed in boiling water until you get a dark orange liquid. Yellow Jewelweed will not yield orange color and may not be effective. Strain the liquid and pour into ice cube trays. When you have a skin rash, rub it with a jewelweed cube and you will be amazed with its healing properties. It will keep in freezer up to a year. You can also preserve the infusion by canning it in a pressure cooker.
=====================================================================

You can find it in the same type area that you find poison ivy in. Use it immediately after exposure.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I feel Better this morning already. I did wake up abut 1 AM
my whole right hand was on massave itch. If I would have had some
Bleach in the house, I would have Soaked it in it for awhile.

My hand didn't itch before, & Dosn't itch now.

My Eye is Wide open again, but I can still see my Cheek on that side when I look down, so it's still swollen some.

Funny thing, he said because it is Just
my inner Forearm. between my Fingers and in my eye,
and very little Blistering with it (small Bubbles of water)
he thinks I just got a Topical Reaction to it rather then Full Blown
Poison, which should have Spread everywhere.

Well, If that's the case,
I sure would not want Full Blown Poison ;D

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HI GEFF HOW YOUR FEELING BETTER.ITS NOT GOOD TO LOOK LIKE THIS

TINPAN

Attachments

• cyclops.jpg
    cyclops.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 836

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

jeff of pa said:
I feel Better this morning already. I did wake up abut 1 AM
my whole right hand was on massave itch. If I would have had some
Bleach in the house, I would have Soaked it in it for awhile.

My hand didn't itch before, & Dosn't itch now.

My Eye is Wide open again, but I can still see my Cheek on that side when I look down, so it's still swollen some.

Funny thing, he said because it is Just
my inner Forearm. between my Fingers and in my eye,
and very little Blistering with it (small Bubbles of water)
he thinks I just got a Topical Reaction to it rather then Full Blown
Poison, which should have Spread everywhere.

Well, If that's the case,
I sure would not want Full Blown Poison ;D

Glad you are feeling better....oh how I remember it in the eyes....it's was kinda' scarey for me...I thought my eyes (both) would be swollen forever!!! I did not get the shot....they gave me little white pills (and those pills for itching...don't work!!)....I did find taking a very HOT shower (as hot as you can stand it) will take the itch away for a long while .... it did for me!!! I did not find the oatmeal baths to help either....

But glad you are feeling much better, only a couple more days.

Annmarie

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mountainman 2 said:
Glad your feeling better Jeff.Gloves and long sleeves next time,right? Question,can someone get poison ivy by burning the plant?

yes. i know a Girl who does

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

mountainman 2 said:
Glad your feeling better Jeff.Gloves and long sleeves next time,right? Question,can someone get poison ivy by burning the plant?

jeff is right! you can absolutly get ivy by being in the smoke, and if you inhale the smoke, your in deep doo doo.

jeff, they make a product called ivy block, that is similar to a sun block lotion. so far it has worked pretty good for me. it prevents your skin from absorbing the oil.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mountainman 2 said:

I've heard that if you're sensitive to poison ivy, even oil particulates from the plant being carried into the air from burning it can affect you. I have no desire to find out what could happen if I was close enough to inhale any of it!!!

I do my best to stay well clear of any of that crap anymore, although I rarely go through a year without getting it on my hands or legs. The good thing now is that I immediately know the look and feeling of it when I've got it and I just go to the doctor right away, tell them I'm very susceptible to it and 9 out of 10 times can convince them to give me a shot. If it isn't that bad, I've taken the pills and they do work for me but only if I only have a few patches.

Glad you're doing better Jeff!

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

Jeff,

Its one of those strange things. I used to be all around it and never get it. Show off and rub it all over me. Now that i have returned from an Uncle Sam 8 year vacation overseas I get it now.

Crazy eh?

Postalrevnant

L

Lucky one

Sorry to hear about that Jeff, hope your feeling better. Everybody has to learn the hard way sometimes. Now that your older, some things will bother you a lot quicker than what they used to when you were younger. :) :)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My brother used it as toilet paper once :o,he got it bad but not as bad as me.When I was a kid I got poison ivy so bad I was in the hospital for 3 days.I was told I caught it from the smoke coming in contact with my skin.I didn't breathe it in,so I was lucky in that respect.But picture this here only add my legs and armpits too.Eventually it turned into big scabs.I had to lay in bed with cloth dressings soaked in Domeboro solution, I believe is what they used.I was also given "poison ivy extract",little sugary tasting pills that you dissolve in your mouth.I haven't caught it since,though I don't go near it or poison oak or sumac or Va.creeper or anything that looks like 'em.This is not me,mine was much worse-

Attachments

• digger.jpg
    digger.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 765
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ouch, That Looks Painfull. :o

rockdude

Greenie
Sep 18, 2006
calif.
Detector(s) used
whites mxt

That does look bad. Here in west we have poison oak, and you can get this stuff if the leaves are on the plant or not. Oh and don't burn it, its horrible. For minor outbreaks a product called Manzanita Magic works great. Its a liquid that you rub on the sore, of course that feels pretty good. It takes the itch away and strarts healing.

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT

Jeff, hope you are continuing to heal.

I get poison ivy by looking at a picture of it!!! I'll probably get it now, just by talking about it. I got a real bad case of it last January out relic hunting............even in the winter, that stuff is nasty.

At any rate, a friend (who is also VERY allergic) recommended 'Oral Ivy'. It comes in a bottle like eye drops, and you put about 7 drops of it in a glass of water and drink it. You have to take it every day, but he swears by it. Says he hasn't gotten it since, and he's outdoors ALL of the time.

I've never tried it. I think it's a bit expensive.............maybe 12-15 dollars a bottle, but I don't remember exactly.

Roger

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'v been over mine for awhile now.

Hopefully since I was Immune to it Before, I'll get that Immunity back.

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250

i just got a batch of it myself at the bottle dump. I know it is on my hands but I was feeling like a hair was tickling my neck all day today and kept trying to swipe it away. You know that feeling when you get a loose one strand of hair. Well I finalyy had a co-worker look to see if they could see anything and she tells me that the whole back of my neck is red. Well that explains that. I know I was wiping the back of my neck with my hands after the bottle dump just to get some dirt off it and in case any creepies decided to hitch a ride. Oh well, gonna bug me for a few days but I'll go back out again and still dig without gloves.

HH and HI (happy itching)

Funkman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread