My Knees HURT!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
underarock said:
Your way out of line here. You don't know me, where, or how I hunt. So calling me selfish is uncalled for.
I never told the guy to get a giant shovel and run around public parks in broad daylight leaving giant holes everywhere. The man stated a problem I gave him an answer. What do you do besides nay say others?
I understand most people are --deleted-- to metal detecting and will complain forever about holes in a park that they never use anyway just because they are bitter old farts….
To solve this problem, I went to my local police department to show them how I dig and refill the holes because of people like you that complain about it. They were impressed to say the least and now they wave to me when I see them and even got a couple of the fellas interested in the sport. So as far as not helping the sport out… dead wrong again.
I don't live in a city anymore but when I did the first time out with my giant knife digger the police came and told me to leave because they were getting calls about a guy in a park with a GIANT knife. Again just --deleted-- old farts i know.
I don't need to resort to name calling to you personally because honestly I feel bad for you. It would be like making fun of the handicapped.
I grew up in Philadelphia and if anyone saw you walking around with a giant knife the police are going to come every time. PERIOD. Less likely to be a problem with a small shovel since people clearly see its a shovel and not a knife. I guess i'm just selfish.

No single handed digger will EVER EVER EVER out dig a shovel. You don't see the military using lesche knives to dig foxholes do you?
Use your head before you speak to me next time. I wish I lived near you so I could teach you some things whether you wanted me to or not. Sounds like you have issues with shovels maybe something happened with one when you were young? Its a tool used for digging just like your lesche. Nothing more. get over it.

Should he run out these parks in the dark with his shovel? His post made mention of park hunting, and you recommended that he use a long handled shovel.

Why are you taking a GIANT knife to a park? That makes no sense at all. I walk around parks with a lesche or knife in hand (it never goes into a pouch) on display at all times and have never once been questioned by anybody about it. Cops come up to me frequently, can easily see the knife or lesche in my hand, and have never said a word. They just ask if I'm having any luck.

When did I question what was the best for digging fox holes? How does that even remotely compare to digging a 10" deep hole in the ground? It doesn't even come close.

Please recognize that I never said a lesche would outdig an actual shovel. That wasn't my argument. My argument was about you putting a black eye on the hobby and not caring about how it could affect others in the future.

You don't want to resort to name-calling and then you compare me to the handicapped. NICE!

Probed

Sep 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
V3i, Dfx, Excalibur
I use a metal detecting shovel in the park too. They dig the same neat hole a hand lesche doe's without all the hassle of kneeling down. It's faster and goe's deeper then the standard hand digger, so the bonus is I get more retrived targets from more holes I dig. The shovel is small enough to strap onto my motorcycle alongside my detector mount. I did have to modify the exhaust of my bike for these to fit well so now the bikes a tad LOUDER but what the heck, they hear me coming!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just had both hips replaced and the pain was manifest in my knees! Doc said that was normal. Have your hips checked if all else fails. Monty

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woodland Detectors said:
My knees are also feeling the old football injuries. If I know I am going out the next day, I will take about 1,200 mg of Ibuprofen before bed with a bunch of water.

Way To Much!!!! Mike

Red Almost Died from Bleeding Ulcers taking that Much!!!! Chug

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woodland Detectors said:
My knees are also feeling the old football injuries. If I know I am going out the next day, I will take about 1,200 mg of Ibuprofen before bed with a bunch of water.

Mike, Red here, that is too much, I almost died 3 years ago from taking ibuprofen and other anti inflamtories, I had so much blood in my stomach, that I looked pregnant, and I could not get up on my own, I had 3 craters, and now am on low doses of tylenol, pain pills from my dr, I also do stretching before I go out. I have severe fibromayalgia and a few other problems, so I know pain. I feel for you, please talk to your dr as soon as you can, and if you do keep taking that amount, take it with food, but please don't, you would be missed so much, yes I'm trying to scare you, it's just cause I care! :wink: Red

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
There is no more sure way to get this hobby destroyed than by walking around a public park with a shovel.Idon't care what your logic is,the public perception of this is very negative.This hobby is under seige and we all better act with good sense to protect it!

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also hate to see someone walking around the parks with a shovel. Nevermind that they don't cover their holes well. It is the public perception that is going to ruin it.

I try to keep a low low profile. That won't happen if I am carrying a shovel. I usually just carry the probe in my hand and get the shovel out when I need to dig.

Ah, sore knees is the reason for our discussion. The right knee pads will help and ensuring that you are hunting when and where the digging is easy. There is plenty of places to hunt not to hunt at the right time.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As to the original question about the knees and pain while kneeling: I completely agree with the gel knee-pads. I have two pair and love them!! Best thing ever for easing the pain.

All the best,

Lanny

leafster99

Jan 7, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, Tesoro Deleon, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use one of those gardener knee cushions, but what do you guys thinks of these?

Attachments

• cardcoll.jpg
    cardcoll.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 387

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tore my knee up in a car accident back in the 60s. Best thing I've found (for me) drink a lot of water before I go. I take two Aleve & one Ibupropfen when I leave. They're usually kickin in by the time I get there. So far thank god this will continue to work. Not sure if there's any fact in it but if I haven't (what's the buzz word? Oh yeah) hydrated good I have a rougher time. And as mentioned above the horse linament works great for the really bad days, just don't apply it with a full bladder or get your hands ANYWHERE near you eyes! Quit laughing! Just tak ::) :laughing7: :laughing7:e my word for it!

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
bazinga said:
underarock said:
Your way out of line here. You don't know me, where, or how I hunt. So calling me selfish is uncalled for.
I never told the guy to get a giant shovel and run around public parks in broad daylight leaving giant holes everywhere. The man stated a problem I gave him an answer. What do you do besides nay say others?
I understand most people are --deleted-- to metal detecting and will complain forever about holes in a park that they never use anyway just because they are bitter old farts….
To solve this problem, I went to my local police department to show them how I dig and refill the holes because of people like you that complain about it. They were impressed to say the least and now they wave to me when I see them and even got a couple of the fellas interested in the sport. So as far as not helping the sport out… dead wrong again.
I don't live in a city anymore but when I did the first time out with my giant knife digger the police came and told me to leave because they were getting calls about a guy in a park with a GIANT knife. Again just --deleted-- old farts i know.
I don't need to resort to name calling to you personally because honestly I feel bad for you. It would be like making fun of the handicapped.
I grew up in Philadelphia and if anyone saw you walking around with a giant knife the police are going to come every time. PERIOD. Less likely to be a problem with a small shovel since people clearly see its a shovel and not a knife. I guess i'm just selfish.

No single handed digger will EVER EVER EVER out dig a shovel. You don't see the military using lesche knives to dig foxholes do you?
Use your head before you speak to me next time. I wish I lived near you so I could teach you some things whether you wanted me to or not. Sounds like you have issues with shovels maybe something happened with one when you were young? Its a tool used for digging just like your lesche. Nothing more. get over it.

Should he run out these parks in the dark with his shovel? His post made mention of park hunting, and you recommended that he use a long handled shovel.

Why are you taking a GIANT knife to a park? That makes no sense at all. I walk around parks with a lesche or knife in hand (it never goes into a pouch) on display at all times and have never once been questioned by anybody about it. Cops come up to me frequently, can easily see the knife or lesche in my hand, and have never said a word. They just ask if I'm having any luck.

When did I question what was the best for digging fox holes? How does that even remotely compare to digging a 10" deep hole in the ground? It doesn't even come close.

Please recognize that I never said a lesche would outdig an actual shovel. That wasn't my argument. My argument was about you putting a black eye on the hobby and not caring about how it could affect others in the future.

You don't want to resort to name-calling and then you compare me to the handicapped. NICE!

Your right I apologize. I'm human I get angry.
How bout you do what works for you and I will do what works for me. Agree to disagree.
I'm for freedom of choice. I can't even believe I typed some of the things I did. Honestly I really don't care too much either way just wanted to give the guy another option. Especially since I foresee this being a problem for me in a few years and i'm going to have to deal with it. The problem is usually people being unfriendly and un helpful when metal detecting that puts a "black eye" on the sport. Not the digging tool In my hand. I'd really rather not live in a country that fears shovels to be honest wouldn't you?

If you keep folding to what people think then your really not going to be doing much thinking on your own.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
Waterbug said:
What type knee pads do you use? I have had both knees replaced and was unable to kneel down for many years.Then I discovered the pads with gel inserts.Now I'm able to kneel on the ground without any pain.
waterbug thanx for the info! I had my knees replaced a yr ago & even tho the pain has pretty much been aleviated, & can't kneel. will go get the pads w/ gel inserts!
all I can say is if you need knee replacements do it!! I had to wait over 10 yrs to get mine & the difference in my life is amazing!! changed everything from my sleep (or lack there of) to MD'ing & something as simple as walking thru the mall with my daughter! I forgot how wonderful that can be.

grayflint

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my lil jackrussel is my lil hole diggn fool .lol. I cant even do any gardening without his help . I have blown out both my knees from so many years finishing concrete & lay'n brick pavers . sure am glad this topic came up. you good folks have given me a few good ideas. but I am still using my dawg when I can his name is buster and can he bust a hole .lol !

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just go ahead and sit down to dig.

Top Member Reactions