My Knees HURT!

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe do some stretching before you go, Also try some glucosamine w/chondroitin which is like a lube job for your joints.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My knees are getting fairly shot. Hard to change your detecting style but a good pinpointer might save you some trips up and down.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My knees are also feeling the old football injuries. If I know I am going out the next day, I will take about 1,200 mg of Ibuprofen before bed with a bunch of water.

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Pedrod said:
Anyone have ideas on how to dig that trash without so much pain!

get someone else to do it! Niece, nephew, grand kid? Not a good answer I know.

The nature of this hobby invovles a lot of walking, bending, getting up and getting down, and digging in dirt. I really can't think of a way to do that and lessen the impact on your knees.

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys, I'm a geezer with a broken back. GLUCOSAMINE with CHINDOROITIN is a mircale drug for me. It will take a week or so before you can see the results, but you can see the results. It's the difference between crawling over to a park bench and just pushing up with your Lesche. I am old and set in my ways and take the recomended dose (twice a day, in other word...double)
I also made a tool box with x-tra high handle (think shoe-shine box) works great.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
All of the above and two bottles of dammitol in your choice of brands. Alleve, Advil, Aspirin, etc...

Waterbug

Jul 6, 2005
Iowa
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, XLT & GoldmasterV/SAT
Fisher 1280x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What type knee pads do you use? I have had both knees replaced and was unable to kneel down for many years.Then I discovered the pads with gel inserts.Now I'm able to kneel on the ground without any pain.

Attachments

• Knee pads 008.JPG
    Knee pads 008.JPG
    257.1 KB · Views: 551

woody_g

Mar 5, 2006
SPRINGTOWN TX
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 1000
i think its time for you to look into a long handled shovel.they are somewhat expensive 60-70 bucks but will save the knees and the back.definitely worthwhile investment.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
woody_g said:
i think its time for you to look into a long handled shovel.they are somewhat expensive 60-70 bucks but will save the knees and the back.definitely worthwhile investment.

Because the hobby needs more people in parks carrying shovels.

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
I can't use knee pads as I've had a blood clot in my right leg...I use one of those blue garden pads you get at Home Depot's or Lowes....when my wife isn't with me I use them both, hers on top of mine. I don't know what happened, I NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM WHEN IT WA 16!!!!

OP
OP
PI PETE

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for all the comments.

Best one is the Gelled knee caps I think that is good.

I have one of the best long handled shovels that exist and I DON´T take it to the parks for respect for the ethics of our hobby!

Plus, it´s so much faster with a probe.

thanks for all your comments!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pedrod said:
I have one of the best long handled shovels that exist and I DON´T take it to the parks for respect for the ethics of our hobby!

Thanks! :)

Those of us that want to continue park hunting in the future thank you.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to the doctor and tell him your problem(s) and then ask for a steroid shot in your knees,I got mind about 6 months ago and they feel great.It's a little costly $$,but my insurance paided for it. :hello2:
Other than that try the GC pills,or Joint Fuel,etc.

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
bazinga said:
woody_g said:

I try not to let what people think decide what works best for me. Since I like deep targets i'm using a shovel period. Unless i'm trying to dig in someones yard then you have to play by owners rules. I use the lil eagle from predator tools not a long handled shovel. Not because i don't like the long handles i just don't find them necessary for my needs. If the guy needs a shovel to help his knees then do it.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
underarock said:
bazinga said:
woody_g said:

I try not to let what people think decide what works best for me. Since I like deep targets i'm using a shovel period. Unless i'm trying to dig in someones yard then you have to play by owners rules. I use the lil eagle from predator tools not a long handled shovel. Not because i don't like the long handles i just don't find them necessary for my needs. If the guy needs a shovel to help his knees then do it.

It's thinking like this that gets detecting banned in entire cities. You only think about yourself and can't see the bigger picture. It's not what people think of you, it's about what will happen from what those people think of you. Get enough people complaining about the weird guy in the park with the shovel digging holes and it puts a black eye on the hobby.

And don't tell me that you are digging deeper than a knife / lesche can dig. I can dig an easy 8" deep hole with a knife in a matter of seconds. And then a few inches deeper in a few more seconds if necessary.

But continue being selfish and have no respect for the hobby. I'm just glad you don't live anywhere near me.

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
bazinga said:
underarock said:
bazinga said:
woody_g said:

It's thinking like this that gets detecting banned in entire cities. You only think about yourself and can't see the bigger picture. It's not what people think of you, it's about what will happen from what those people think of you. Get enough people complaining about the weird guy in the park with the shovel digging holes and it puts a black eye on the hobby.

And don't tell me that you are digging deeper than a knife / lesche can dig. I can dig an easy 8" deep hole with a knife in a matter of seconds. And then a few inches deeper in a few more seconds if necessary.

But continue being selfish and have no respect for the hobby. I'm just glad you don't live anywhere near me.

Your way out of line here. You don't know me, where, or how I hunt. So calling me selfish is uncalled for.
I never told the guy to get a giant shovel and run around public parks in broad daylight leaving giant holes everywhere. The man stated a problem I gave him an answer. What do you do besides nay say others?
I understand most people are ignorant to metal detecting and will complain forever about holes in a park that they never use anyway just because they are bitter old farts….
To solve this problem, I went to my local police department to show them how I dig and refill the holes because of people like you that complain about it. They were impressed to say the least and now they wave to me when I see them and even got a couple of the fellas interested in the sport. So as far as not helping the sport out… dead wrong again.
I don't live in a city anymore but when I did the first time out with my giant knife digger the police came and told me to leave because they were getting calls about a guy in a park with a GIANT knife. Again just ignorant old farts i know.
I don't need to resort to name calling to you personally because honestly I feel bad for you. It would be like making fun of the handicapped.
I grew up in Philadelphia and if anyone saw you walking around with a giant knife the police are going to come every time. PERIOD. Less likely to be a problem with a small shovel since people clearly see its a shovel and not a knife. I guess i'm just selfish.

No single handed digger will EVER EVER EVER out dig a shovel. You don't see the military using lesche knives to dig foxholes do you?
Use your head before you speak to me next time. I wish I lived near you so I could teach you some things whether you wanted me to or not. Sounds like you have issues with shovels maybe something happened with one when you were young? Its a tool used for digging just like your lesche. Nothing more. get over it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread