Neoprene Gloves

Joe Kool

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2011
Southwestern, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Hello, everyone. This is my first post. I'm looking to purchase a pair of neoprene gloves for detecting when the weather gets colder. I have watched videos on Utube where people were using them, when detecting in colder weather. I don't know anything about neoprene gloves and I would like some recommendations of what I should look for, purchase and where. Any help is appreciated.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most sporting goods places will have some pretty good ones in the fishing department. And any hardware or big box will have them in the regular gloves section.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Try to buy 2-3mm thick. Any thicker is hard to manipulate your fingers.
Try to find some with inbuilt or seperate "liners", for cold weather.
Try to find gloves that have reinforced fingers and palms. Rubbing sand off coins and stuff can wear gloves out real fast.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
If cold is the problem, those gloves are useless. You would be better off getting a pair of gloves used by auto mechanics. You can pick up small items with them. frank

Spookchaser

Sep 2, 2011
Hello to everyone! Hope you're having a good day. Concerning the use of neoprene gloves, I'd like to throw in my 2 cts. (Found them my back yard). As an ex-commercial oil-field diver I have extensive experience with these gloves, and would highly reccommend them to anyone dealing with cold weather. Agreed, they are not as tough as leather, but they're certainly a lot warmer! Most of the work I've done in the Gulf of Mexico and inland waters was strenuous manual labor, including handling pipr, steel plate, heavy wrenches, welding and cutting and etc., and, indeed, I used neoprene gloves (along with a complete suit) during the cold of winter. They are the only thing that will keep your fingers from freezing! And they're pretty tough, too, lasting a lot longer than you'd tend to think. Through the years I've eperimented with diferrent methods of making them last longer from the abuse they took doing my work. Here's one of the better ones: Are you familiar with an adhesive/sealant product called "GOOP" or "Shoe Goo"? They come in a tube and are available at just about any hardware or department store or auto parts house. The product is thick and sticky. I put the gloves on and run a thick bead from finger tip to the base of my palm and rub my hands together, covering every inch of my palm and the bottom side of my fingers. I remove the gloves and set them up, palm up, and allow them to dry a couple of days. Works like a charm! Try it out!

OP
OP
J

Joe Kool

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2011
Southwestern, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Thanks for the replies. I'll give spookchaser's tip of coating the gloves with "Shoe Goo" a try. I always keep a tube of Shoe Goo in my workshop. Great product. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread