How to clean coins and buttons?

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II
The method of Rock Tumbling coins, tokens, and buttons is a great way to clean them with out damaging or scratching them.

Using Aquarium rock with a couple drops of dish soap and water, and tumbling them from two hours to over night depending on how dirty they are will do wanders for them. Do not tumble clad and copper coins together as the clad will take on a copper color if you do.

I am enclosing a couple photo's of a World War Two Button I found this spring and tumbled , as you can see the tumbler does a great job and does not scratch the button.

Best of Luck. Rick :coffee2:

Attachments

• Mystery Button 002 (640x480).jpg
    Mystery Button 002 (640x480).jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 228
  • Mystery Button 004 (640x480).jpg
    Mystery Button 004 (640x480).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 219

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For old buttons, I use a tooth brush and dish soap, it depends on the soil the buttons come from. Copper coins I use the same as buttons, never rub a silver coin with your fingers, just dunk then in water, if need be go to a coin dealer and ask them if your find is a rare one, old silver is quite soft. There are many ways to do this, you can try what different people have tried. I hope this helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions