relic and coin hunting question

in4cer9II

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2011
Easton, Md
Hello hunters,
Today after work I have the opportunity to hunt a farm established around 1659. I am new to this hobby with about 25hrs total experience in hunting. I am primarily interested in hunting for coins, although the owner has told me there were at least 50 confederate soldiers living their at one time. I am using a used Garrett Ace 250. Should I be using the relic, or coin setting ? Is there a big difference in the two settings ?

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a farm site there will be lots of scrap iron in the ground. Especially one that old. You can start in coin mode and probably do fairly well, it will also pic up non iron relics. I think I'd go that way for a while on the site, then go back and start cleaning out some of the iron to see what's hiding next to or under it.

Good luck I hope to see some good finds from your hunt.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relic mode. How big is the area? If it's near water that's where you're most likely to find the earliest stuff. If it was a CW camp then just walk around until you start finding the signs. Is the house old? It might have very little to do with the best detecting on the property.

There certainly is a big difference between the settings if you discriminate out a killer button.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice from the two pro's above but it also depends on what machine you are using?What coils?

I used to go through first run on Coin/jewelery with my MXT,and then in Relic.....my machine stays on Relic,low to no disc now....dig everything.The more iron you get out of the ground the better the good stuff comes through :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
Good advice from the two pro's above but it also depends on what machine you are using?What coils?

I used to go through first run on Coin/jewelery with my MXT,and then in Relic.....my machine stays on Relic,low to no disc now....dig everything.The more iron you get out of the ground the better the good stuff comes through :thumbsup:

I don't think I'd worry too much about clearing iron at a 1659 site that had Confederate soldiers! Heck I'd bring you along if you wanted to do that. ;D

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
kuger said:

I don't think I'd worry too much about clearing iron at a 1659 site that had Confederate soldiers! Heck I'd bring you along if you wanted to do that. ;D

:icon_scratch:Sounds like generations of occupation which = much iron?If thats all it takes 'Patch,I am in!!!!Thats what I do!!I have sites still producing after 6+ years of heavy hunting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
Iron Patch said:
kuger said:

:icon_scratch:Sounds like generations of occupation which = much iron?If thats all it takes 'Patch,I am in!!!!Thats what I do!!I have sites still producing after 6+ years of heavy hunting

I meant to add ... On the first hunt.

He said he has an opportunity to hunt... not sure if that means hunt it like you own it, and for as long as you want. That said, I will admit that's how I see the permission we get here. :headbang: It also depends how many potential sites you have and whether they are farm fields that see a plow. I would be a fool to waste my time digging iron here because there's always another site to find, and the plow does the work for me, but I know it can be very different for other.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
kuger said:
Iron Patch said:
kuger said:

I meant to add ... On the first hunt.

He said he has an opportunity to hunt... not sure if that means hunt it like you own it, and for as long as you want. That said, I will admit that's how I see the permission we get here. :headbang: It also depends how many potential sites you have and whether they are farm fields that see a plow. I would be a fool to waste my time digging iron here because there's always another site to find, and the plow does the work for me, but I know it can be very different for other.
aaha gotcha.Most of my sites become long term(if I can keep the fence hoppers off)Yea,if its a one shot deal then by all means cherry pick on Coin/Jewell

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
in4cer9II said:
Hello hunters,
Today after work I have the opportunity to hunt a farm established around 1659. I am new to this hobby with about 25hrs total experience in hunting. I am primarily interested in hunting for coins, although the owner has told me there were at least 50 confederate soldiers living their at one time. I am using a used Garrett Ace 250. Should I be using the relic, or coin setting ? Is there a big difference in the two settings ?
I have hunted alot of older sites with lots of iron, this is the best way to learn your detector. If you are the only person that will be detecting and you don't have a time line on when you have to finish, just take your time you will soon learn your detector. Relic mode is a good start, if you go past the good sounding iron targets, you could be passing by some early trade axes and they can be a nice find, I love to dig the old iron targets, the black smith items look nice in a display. Good luck

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A place like that could keep a person busy for a couple years. No kidding. I would dig everything above iron (relics mode on the 250). But that's me. If you're just interested in coins then still keep it in relics mode and just dig the signals around the coin area. Coins don't always give a nice, consistent coin signal though. Experience will tell you when to dig. The 250 is a good machine. It tends to freak out around trashy sites, but you can still work them. Just slow down and tighten up your swing to a couple inches when you get into a trashy area. Take the time to learn your machine. I started with a 250 and it took me close to a year to feel confident that I knew what I was doing.

-Swartzie

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...shoot,sorry I missed that you stated what "machine",you were using!! :tongue3:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
...shoot,sorry I missed that you stated what "machine",you were using!! :tongue3:

Have you been letting your friend beat on you for practice again? :laughing7:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
kuger said:

LOL!!His DAD dropped a very intriguing hint last night....big "OOOP's

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
Iron Patch said:
kuger said:

Well don't tell me, I don't want to know. :tongue3:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
kuger said:
Iron Patch said:
kuger said:

Well don't tell me, I don't want to know. :tongue3:
:icon_thumleft:

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
In iron filled areas, I use jewelry more or coin mode, and sometimes a custom setting to fit my fancy. But if there are iron relics worth keeping, and it sounds as though there will be at your site, I would use all metal or relic mode. If gold is unlikely, I might eliminate the gold and bronze. I usually do a quick scout of the area in coin mode, just to see if I can cherry pick anything early. You'll dig a lot of trash iron, but those odd old relics will be worth it! Good luck..

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oxbowbarefoot said:
In iron filled areas, I use jewelry more or coin mode, and sometimes a custom setting to fit my fancy. But if there are iron relics worth keeping, and it sounds as though there will be at your site, I would use all metal or relic mode. If gold is unlikely, I might eliminate the gold and bronze. I usually do a quick scout of the area in coin mode, just to see if I can cherry pick anything early. You'll dig a lot of trash iron, but those odd old relics will be worth it! Good luck..

That's my thought, to cherry pick the area on the first hunt, just to get a sense of what's in the ground, and also not dig a lot of holes the first few times there. Let's the owner see you're not going to ruin their lawn, it makes it easier on them, and you may find some nice goodies. If you have long term access to the site there's no sense in tearing it up, and if not, there's no reason to spend what time you have digging what might be a lot of junk in hopes of turning up a neat relic or two. Of course the best laid plans often change after the first few swings, so probably the best advice I can give is to try different settings and let the site guide you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread