bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, not really, but I did have a run in with a State Trooper in a field a few days ago. I found a defunct new neighborhood on Google earth that butted up to a field where I found my gorgeous first Union plate. Only a half dozen houses had been built in there before the market crashed. The rest of the proposed development had been cleared previously but has tall weeds and a little forest section in it. I've never had a problem with these types of scenarios before. I drove my Jeep in past the last house and went over a little ridge where I couldn't even be seen except by plane. I had been in there a solid two hours not finding much, making my way between all of the crazy high weeds. I was in the top corner of the field by the railroad tracks and backing out of some low vines and bushes. I start to turn and I hear "HEY!", scared the crap outta me. It was a State Trooper making his way through the weeds and was about 20 feet away from me. I told him how he had just scared me to death and then held up my detector "Just metal detecting" I said. He said that neighbors had reported me coming in and then heard gun shots. I laughed, "Not from me" I said. He said he had a tow truck over there and was just about to have me towed if he couldn't find anyone in the field.
The tow truck driver finally saw me and pointed me out. He asked if that was my Jeep and that sometimes people get rid of stolen vehicles in fields and stuff. He then asked me if I had permission to be there of which I told him that most developers don't care and if it's not posted I usually just take my chances unless someone complains. He didn't tell me to leave, he just said he'd let the person that called know what I was doing and that I was harmless. He said, "Also, it might be a good idea to get in touch with developer and get permission if I planned on coming back."

What's kind of odd is he didn't ask for any ID or check me out in any way. Never asked my name even though he had already ran my tags and knew who's name the Jeep was in.

What's doubly weird is that I've never had a run in with cops and then that very evening when I was detecting with a buddy we had ANOTHER run in. He had parked his truck near an entrance to an old factory that has no trespassing signs. We had walked around the corner to where woods are being cleared for a road. He gets a call from his wife saying the cops are by his truck and want to talk to him. When they saw where he came from, they were like "oh ok, you're detecting out there.? We thought someone was trespassing at the factory. Carry on".
Both first time run ins on the same day? Weird huh.

RJH02

Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
just doing their job I guess, I hope you find another plate out there.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you hear the gunshots the cop said were reported or was it a lie by the homeowner to make sure the police would respond quickly? Sounds like the officers were doing their job and used a little common sense when they saw what you were doing. I detect all over city property and building tear down sites and when the cops see me they slow down ,wave, and keep going when they see what I'm doing.

OP
OP
bearbqd

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, there definitely were no gunshots in the area. I never heard a thing.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder who picked up the bill for the tow Truck.

Usually they get called, somone pays.

Personally I'd charge the Homeowner who made
the False report.
but that's just me :coffee2:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least the cops sound human in that part of the country. Around here they shoot and ask questions later. Seriously.

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
That is some bad luck, but the good news is they didn't stop you from detecting. If the cop asked for your name, he can match it with your tags and know that it's clear.

By the way the police have to respond to calls and check it out, and they just want to make sure everyone is safe, so he didn't intend to come arrest you or anything.

Oh and also I don't live far from you!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You say that the cops said: " ..... that neighbors had reported me ......". Sounds to me like that's all it was about. They are just duty-bound to make a show appearance. I wouldn't consider this anything reflective of where you chose to hunt (a non-posted innocuous site). And those things they say about "next time get your permission in writing" blah blah are also just obligatory sayings (whether or not it's really necessary). You know, like if you are pulled over because you were weaving a bit in traffic (because a cop suspects you might be DUI). You explain to him "I was trying to read the map as I was driving officer". Naturally, the officer is going to tell you "next time pull over to do map checks". It's all just obligatory sayings, and obligatory responses to little old ladies who look out their blinds, or see "suspicious" trucks parked on country roads out-of-place, etc....

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like he was just checkin out what could be a suspicious situation. Don't know about the gunshots, though. If they truly believed there were gunshots there probably would have been more cops in the area. I'm impressed he walked up on you out in the field instead of ordering you out on a PA. 20 ft. away and you never knew it, and just one. And then sized you up and didn't consider you a threat to national security or whatever. I wondered, was this a young guy? Cause he's definitely old school. I started disliking the rookies in the mid 90's, but I guess they are the future. Lots of new wave of the future training, I guess. It might be to your advantage to make friends with that officer.

OP
OP
bearbqd

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I know they were just doing their job and I'm glad they were cool about it. All the neighbors ever saw was me drive to the end of the paved street, onto a dirt road area and over a little ridge. They couldn't even see me or the Jeep once I drove down into the ravine area. I'm sure whoever called it in just threw in the "heard shots fired" to make sure the call got priority for the cops to actually respond in a timely manner. I was just kidding about the title of this thread obviously so people would read it. Just thought it a weird coincidence that I have never had the cops called on me, nor had my buddy from that evening, but we both had run ins on the same day that day.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have no more respect for authority :angry1:

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same problem,but the women who called it in couldn't tell the difference between my small black scion xb and a full size Chevy suburban.I went on some land,that the city is turning into a road and they had bulldozed down some old mesquite trees(excellent for BBQ),the person in charge gave me permission to drive back there and load up the wood in my car.Well a lady called the cops and told me that there was a big black SUV back there knocking down trees and driving all thru the woods,close to her backyard,The cop saw me out there and asked me if I had seen the black SUV,I said yes I had the other day and that it was a 4x4 black Chevy suburban with a winch in the front and a cattle guard on the front.Well he tells me that he just got a call from the lady and she swore that it was me,I told him that there's a BIG difference between a Scion Xb and a 4x4 Suburban,just about at that time she comes from her back yard yelling at the top of her lungs,telling him that that's the guy with the black Suburban and then the cop looks at her and says"really is this the SUV that you saw" and she says "yes,it must have shrunk".Well we both laugh,she's pissed and then out of the woods comes a 4x4 Black Chevy Suburban and races pass us,hauling ass along with a cloud of dust.The cop gets in his car and pulls them over, and I go back to gatering my wood and she walks back to her house and does whatever she does. :laughing7:

JeepGuy

Sep 5, 2011
Okinawa, Japan
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both of your run-ins ended pretty well. I would usually prefer a run in with the police than a run in with gang member, crack head, or _____ (insert other unsavory character)!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you could probably shoot the gang member or crackhead. Way more paperwork involved if you shoot at the cops, and they're usually better shots.

coin_diver

Oct 3, 2003
Syracuse, ny
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, xl500 (27 yrs) XLT (17 yrs)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What's most disturbing to me and not mentioned by anyone else is we seem to have become conditioned to believe that we need permission from "someone" for every GD thing we want to do anymore! That is usually some woman working in an office that doesn't have a clue about our hobby but not the least bit inclined to put her name on anything as it may implicate her.
I would recommend the following, because it works:
1-Call your home owners insurance company and tell them you want a rider covering all state and county employees and your state parks dept. (whatever they call themselves). The cost for this is 0, nada, zilch. The $500k liability is already part of most normal plans. They simply type a form that shows you as being covered. Simple huh?
2- Read and understand your state laws. If land is not specifically posted then you'll have to leave if and when asked.

Let's take back our hobby, get out and hunt again like we did in the 80's, don't feel like a criminal when you pull your detector out. We have as much right to be out as dog walkers leaving smoking piles behind. Know your rights and enjoy them, we haven't lost our country yet. When asked by onlookers, tell them you are there to return lost items. When questioned by an official tell them you are a volunteer and ask if they'd like to see your insurance cert., this usually bores them and they say no.
BE PREPARED! Have Fun!

digging wv

Sep 16, 2007
Cabin Creek
Detector(s) used
Prizm V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At a distance your detector may be mistaken for a shotgun cradled in your arms, muzzle down. Whoever reported you may never had seen a metal detector. Just take things as they come. Keeping your cool could mean the difference between being asked " have you found anything around here?" from being told " Get out from around :hello: here".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread