DownEastDetectorist

Aug 31, 2011
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Asking permission to detect on other people's property

I would greatly appreciate any help on what to say when asking permission to detect on someone's property. There is an old abandoned house near me that is totally engulfed in trees and overgrowth but one side and the rear have a solid strip of land that can be detected. All of this sits on a lot surrounded by soybean fields.

I don't know what to say when approaching the owner without sounding cheesy or coming off as a weirdo.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Asking permission to detect on other people's property

Well I think most of use have gone through the same questions before. I usually try and find out a little about the past owners, then go find the currant owner, just say that your are interested in metal detecting, you are interested in local history. I just mention that I am interested in saving history, would it be okay to search around the old house site, and you might mention that you very responsible on others propriety. You could also mention that you would show him or her anything of value or just all of your finds. I also mention that I take all the junk I find with me and I also mention that I some times find large spikes that could give them a flat on their tractor, I take away all iron objects. I hope this helps.

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011

I blame it all on my four year old daughter! :tongue3:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When you go to ask permission, appear business like. By that I mean don't wear your old dirty digging clothes and for God's sake wash your hands if you have been digging. I met another detectorist in a park a while back and he wanted to shake hands. He looked like he had some kind of crud on his hand, filthy fingernails, and looked like he hadn't washed in a month. I had to use some hand sanitizer after that! I always carry some in the car. Many people are afraid of you digging up their lawn or property. Show them how you cut a plug and how well you fill it back in if that is their concern. One elderly lady..........well more elderly than me was afraid she would step in a hole I dug and fall. I showed her how careful I'd be to fill in any small holes and she let me in. Just use common sense is the secret. MOnty

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other

Monty said:
When you go to ask permission, appear business like. By that I mean don't wear your old dirty digging clothes and for God's sake wash your hands if you have been digging. I met another detectorist in a park a while back and he wanted to shake hands. He looked like he had some kind of crud on his hand, filthy fingernails, and looked like he hadn't washed in a month. I had to use some hand sanitizer after that! I always carry some in the car. Many people are afraid of you digging up their lawn or property. Show them how you cut a plug and how well you fill it back in if that is their concern. One elderly lady..........well more elderly than me was afraid she would step in a hole I dug and fall. I showed her how careful I'd be to fill in any small holes and she let me in. Just use common sense is the secret. MOnty

Your description of the detectorist you met in the park had me laughing my azz off.

illinidigger

Jun 1, 2010
Illinois-St. Louis Metro
Detector(s) used
Explorer Se Pro White's IDX pro

Ill second Goes4ever's approach, I have been privy digging in backyards a long time, and metal detecting yards in town for a while. His advice is spot on. I really like being ready to go that day, never set up a time in the future or talk of splits.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions