Treasure Hunting for a living?

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N.J.THer said:
I treasure hunt for a living and work as a hobby... :wink:

NJ

Very good, very good :thumbsup:

Automedon2

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2011
George (MN) said:
Of course the hardest part of making a living would be cost of home rent or apt or motels. I suppose with good planning one could find many low cost or free campgrounds or else it's $30+ a night for motels or stay at a hostel.

$30 a night would be $900 a month - not a bargain. But, I remember seeing a story on some news show many years ago, where they interviewed a member of a treasure hunters club in Florida. That guy says he makes 20 grand a year on the beaches in Florida. True or not, I don't know.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
You would have to make a profit of $55.00 a day for 365 days to make $20,000
a year beachcombing.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
20K a year would be very hard to make a living off of...if I tried I would not be able to live in the NJ area...that's for sure.

NJ

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you live in your car your could make it on 20K a year. Just think no house payment, no home insurance, no gas or electric bill. plus 20K would be with no taxes being taken out. I proably live on less then 20K a year right now I only make 30K a year before taxes. Then I have all of the above. If I was single I would head south or west and see how far I could go. With just detecting and prospecting.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In a perfect world that may work but I told my wife and kids we would be living out of the car she would leave me...no matter how much we love each other and I would not blame her. When we were in front of the family court judge and the reason she left me was explained then the judge would think I'm an idiot and hit me pretty hard with child support and alimony...again I would not blame them. Since my wife does not work I would have to help maintain the life style she is accustom to living. So even if I lived out of my car, could afford gas and repairs and only ate out of dumpsters I still would not be able to afford living in NJ. I would have to go somewhere the courts could not find me...lol.

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I don't think for a minute you could survive swinging a metal detector for a living, but I do think you might be able to make it coin roll hunting and doing yard sales if you took it really seriously and treated it like a job. All antique dealers are basically "Treasure Hunting" for a living.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you took up treasure hunting for a living, before long you would be moaning about how much it was like WORK!.... TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread