Frequency question

Beans11

Jan 10, 2011
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Explorer se pro
Can someone explain the whole frequency thing to me? Is it the higher frequency the deeper it can go or the better target id it will have..or neither? Ive been looking at new detectors. for instance the at pro has 15 mhz and the ace 350 has 8.25. is the at pro going to get alot deeper than the 350? also i looked at the frequency on the explorer se and it was 1.5-100. whats that all about. any info would be appreciated. thanks

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Frequency use to be a big factor in detectors. The lower frequencies were more sensitive to smaller targets but the higher frequencies went deeper, but with modern signal processing it is a mute point. Frank

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Different metals respond better to different frequencies. The 8.25 frequency is midrange to detect both silver and copper...sort of an average between the two.
When you get into higher or lower frequencies, you're more target specific, like geared more towards gold or silver as an example.
That's why it's important to understand what kind of detecting you want to do. And that's why some detectors seem to go different depths on silver, copper and gold.
I ran White's detectors for years that were tuned at 6.0 or close to that. I found tons of stuff...mid range frequency hit pretty much everything equally. An 8.6 might hit sliver a bit better....but then again..time and experience helps.

Al

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've hunted with detector frequencies from 6.7 to 17 and for general detecting, coin shooting etc. I can't tell enough difference to be worth mentioning. However, if you are a truly serious gold nugget hunter, the higher frequencies from 15 or so up seem to be the best, but of course there are other considerations in the different gold specific machines that increase their effectiveness for nugget shooting as well. Most of the hobby detectors are manufactured in the 6 to 12 range and time has shown that to be the best average for the general detectorist. My two bits.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread