Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive used the ace250 for 3 years and have completely out grown it. I am interested in a machine that can reach coins that are deeper maybe up to 10 inches or possibly more. My machine wont pick up coins beyond 5 inches really. I am soon moving to Charleston SC and would like to be with a machine that can go deep enough for colonial relics. I understand that depth of relics can vary on a lot of different factors I am just no longer able to be satisfied with the depth of my machine and possibly walking over older relics.

A few MDs come to mind Etracs, DFX, Expolorer these machines generally being four figures, What about the mid ranged machines like the xterras and the fishers ranging in the 700s are they going that deep?

My question is if im just looking for the depth but ok with going with out some of the fancy features can I skip some of that and save money with a mid range detector offering the depth i seek, but lacking some of the other features im less worried about.

Thank you in advance for anyone with the time to reply!

OP
OP
Nate in Ga

Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
worldtalker said:
Whites M-6 W/Super12 coil,simple machine VERY effective!!!!!!!GodBless HH Chris

Thank you so much for the advice! May I ask is this what you yourself use? What is the price for that machine and the aftermarket coil? And what realistic depths on say a small silver coin?

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I went from a 250 to a Tesoro Tejon for relic hunting. The thing is awesome if you hunt in the audible all-metal mode (which is a true all-metal, not just zero discrimination). It will go deep and find stuff very small. If there's something in the ground it will find it in all-metal. It's good for a site where the targets are fairly sparse. Otherwise, you'll be doing a whole lot of digging.

-Swartzie

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I went from a prizm 5 to a dfx to an etrac. I saved the best for last. I won't need to buy another one. yes it's in the 4 figures, but it's well worth it.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nate in Ga said:
worldtalker said:
Whites M-6 W/Super12 coil,simple machine VERY effective!!!!!!!GodBless HH Chris

Thank you so much for the advice! May I ask is this what you yourself use? What is the price for that machine and the aftermarket coil? And what realistic depths on say a small silver coin?
Nate,Yes it is,I use the DD 6x10 coil,average depth on coins 7 in. plus. the DD 1400 will go deeper as the super 12. M-6-699.00 DD 6x10-179.00 DD 1400-249.00 God Bless HH Chris

Michaelangelo

Jun 9, 2009
Piedmont N.C.
My advice would be to contact Mike Post with Woodland Detectors. He's a regular here at T-net and has gotten many compliments from the folks he has hooked up.
Best of luck and look forward to seeing your finds!!

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Well I guess you have at least several possibilities. Some things to consider: Do you definitely want new vs used? Would you want to go wading in waist deep water? Would you be using it on salt beaches? If the places you are mostly detecting are very trashy, excellent separation with quick recovery can be very important. Weight of a detector can be factor for some, unless using Swingy Thingy bungee harness.

Also, if the area is very trashy, do you want to go elsewhere, dig everything, or reject most gold to get most coins. Some coils have surprising separation for being rather large, but many buy the smaller coils.

I really like my Garrett AT Pro, ID hard to read but the most accurate at depth I've (barely) seen! Very stable & quiet, no fear of it getting rained on, can be used as deep as 10' in water. Using the easy STD mode, sens 7 of 8, in 1st 5 hours use got a 7" deep clad dime in a park I detected hundreds of times. It IDed correctly, despite some ground minerals & soil being extremely dry. MAP price is $594.95. I even had the disc set quite high when I found the dime, no loss of depth, just gold & tabs.

7" is the deepest I've ever dug a dime as I only dig probable coin signals. ID #s 80-85 on 7" dime (80-81 air). Dime gets a loud beep with high tone to 10" in air, STD mode. Uses 4 AAs. Pro mode has softer beep on deep targets, but can do some fancy stuff like detect a coin with a nail right there & roll tone audio to help ID bottlecaps.
2 year transferrable warranty.

I see some reasons to also like my newly acquired but used Teknetics G2. The large ID bounces more with some low readings, but can probably be figured out usually. It is loud on my clad dime planted 5"+ deep & slighly tilted, ID zinc/dime (upper 70s & low 80s). Somewhat lighter than AT Pro. Gets praised alot for separation in iron. The beeps are low pitched or very low pitched or zip sound. It uses 1 9 volt. Air test dime whispers at 10". 5 year non-transferrable warranty. $699 typical price.

Dealers might offer a lower price, e-mail or phone them. Best wishes, George (MN)

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own, and have owned, many machines. I just gave away my 250 last month. Outgrow? Nope. There are many machines BETTER than the 250 but, it's just the flavor you like. My Ford F150 will get me to the same place a Boxster will. Just a personal belief. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions